Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 18, 2016, 02:52   #1
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
how long do you scum DL 90+ ?

so, how long do you guys scum the lower levels for goods?
i'm currently at DL94 and scumming hard, i have a staff of banishment, scrolls of recharge, tons of rods of teleport others, and the ring of power Nenya which i found on DL 43 (!!).
The issue is, i have no endgame weapons yet. My main is anguirel (now at +8,+10 due to me not having res_disenchant for most of the game) and i have Aiglos, Hurin, Bloodspike and Firestar at home. No trident, no BoC, no MoD, Durin, or anything like that. I did find Sting but it was underpowered by the time i found it (DL 80ish).
It seems like when i get below DL70, the game just dries up of useful artefacts; sure, give me all the weapons of slay_animal but maybe one of slay_evil or _undead, nooo.
On the other hand i have 25 !*healing* so i am tempted to dive down and finish it.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2016, 02:59   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Don't overlook archery. Good ammo isn't all that rare. The staff of *destruction* won't be much good vs. M if you melee him. With that much healing you should be fine. It is summons you have to worry about.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2016, 03:58   #3
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Forget DL 94 and go straight to DL 98, the dangers are no different and you need to be ready to drop to DL99 as soon as you can take on Sauron.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2016, 11:31   #4
Sky
Veteran

well, it doesn't matter anymore, i took 1 step into a room, got hit by 3 stuns from plasma hounds which knocked me out. you know the rest of this story.
Old October 18, 2016, 12:55   #5
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Been there. pStun is irritating since you can easily win without it so dont make it prio. then you tend to forget to act accordingly and rip
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2016, 20:01   #6
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
well, it doesn't matter anymore, i took 1 step into a room, got hit by 3 stuns from plasma hounds which knocked me out. you know the rest of this story.
Story of my life...well, story of the end of the life of my first nearly-winner. Was gutted at the time, only true victory finally assuaged that hurt!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2016, 20:47   #7
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Forget DL 94 and go straight to DL 98, the dangers are no different and you need to be ready to drop to DL99 as soon as you can take on Sauron.
Not sure what you mean by this. I never go from 98 to 99 just like that. Before I go after Sauron, i go up to 0, get all my gear and consumables, THEN go down and kick his ass.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2016, 22:04   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
Not sure what you mean by this. I never go from 98 to 99 just like that. Before I go after Sauron, i go up to 0, get all my gear and consumables, THEN go down and kick his ass.
Yes, but recalling to 94 versus 98? Also, just before Sauron, I sometimes descend to 99, recall to town to supply, then recall to 99 to go to guns directly.

If you're going to scum levels, after about DL 65, I find it about the same level of danger at 98. Certainly, there's no appreciable difference in danger between 94 and 98. There is, however, an appreciable difference in loot.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2016, 22:09   #9
Sky
Veteran

still, that's not what i mean.
with this -now deceased- character i had some good gear, but no real weapon, and i had been scumming low levels for a long while ... hours .. and did not find anything. I'm still not sure how the artifact generation process works, i'd figure, the lower down i am, the more likely that *every* artifact can be generated. I was hoping for either the Mban axe of Durin, or at least the Plate with *heal* (forgot the name). But nothing, level after level of 9-9 but not artis at all (preserve mode on).
i had already killed practically every unique, only the tarrasque and chronos (or atlas, not sure) were still alive, maybe one or two dragons.

So my question is .. does everyone experience this "drying up" of the artifacts, or was it just bad luck?
Old October 24, 2016, 22:15   #10
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Did you learn the lesson? Will you embrace it next game?

It's better to take a 5% chance of dying in a fight with M, than to take repeated 0.5% risks while scumming. The precise numbers will vary with your situation, but the general argument remains the same.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote