Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2010, 05:45   #1
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,654
Derakon is on a distinguished road
NPP thoughts

I downloaded the source for NPPAngband, did 'make -f Makefile.osx', and rolled up a dwarf warrior. Here's my thoughts so far:

* I asked for a quest right off and got 10 Lost Souls at 50'. Now, it's not like they pose any significant threat to me (Wisdom? Who needs that?), but blindly stumbling around trying to kill 10 invisible monsters is a bit of a pain...
* I'm used to being able to just hit enter to confirm buying/selling items (e.g. "dm<enter>" to sell the item in slot m), so requiring me to actually hit 'y' is jarring.
* Likewise, it'd be nice if <escape> were accepted as an analog for "no"
* I like the "automatically inscribe all X with this inscription" prompt after you inscribe something.
* On the flipside, the message explaining the 's' option when destroying objects is a bit awkward.
* Prompting for pickup selection when there's only one item on the floor is pointless, especially since I have "prompt before picking things up" turned off.
* Likewise, informing me that there are no items left on the floor doesn't seem necessary.
* Not all accents display correctly. For example, the Dunedain on the birth screen
* I got a quest for lemures, and after fulfilling the quest conditions, there were still more lemures left to kill. Intended?
* It seems a bit odd that elvish walls don't light themselves up.
* I encountered a random flickering granite wall (savefile available if desired)
* I like how monsters flee past other monsters when frightened.
* A Scroll of Recharging added only 2 charges to a Staff of Perception. Intended? Also, Staves of Perception seem to be a bad deal currently -- they cost more per-charge than scrolls of Identify do.
* While looking doesn't extend out of line of sight, if you switch to targeting mode, you can still look around at things your character can't actually see.
* Object detection (and other detections?) appears to detect every object that fits onto the window; thus, expanding your main window increases the power of these spells.
* I like that monsters automatically drop all their items in a stack instead of spilling them all over the dungeon.
* When I destroyed an un-ID'd Ring of Searching, it auto-ID'd in the process. Intended?
* I find it interesting that my character automatically knows the flavors of items he sees in stores. At least, I'm assuming that's why I haven't had to ID various flavored items...

Okay, I think that's more than enough for now. So far, so good...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2010, 07:43   #2
ewert
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 525
ewert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* I asked for a quest right off and got 10 Lost Souls at 50'. Now, it's not like they pose any significant threat to me (Wisdom? Who needs that?), but blindly stumbling around trying to kill 10 invisible monsters is a bit of a pain...
God I hated 50' quests when I played NPP. Should really be hardcoded to start at 100', not 50'...
Quote:
* I like the "automatically inscribe all X with this inscription" prompt after you inscribe something.
This is definitely something that Vanilla should steal ASAP.
Quote:
* Object detection (and other detections?) appears to detect every object that fits onto the window; thus, expanding your main window increases the power of these spells.
Old game mechanics, hehe, I used to switch to smallest font and enlarge window so could detect whole level with 1 spell/scrolls.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 03:35   #3
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stat Gain, Angband
Posts: 926
nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I downloaded the source for NPPAngband, did 'make -f Makefile.osx', and rolled up a dwarf warrior. Here's my thoughts so far:

* I asked for a quest right off and got 10 Lost Souls at 50'. Now, it's not like they pose any significant threat to me (Wisdom? Who needs that?), but blindly stumbling around trying to kill 10 invisible monsters is a bit of a pain...
I liked the suggestion to move the first quest to 100'. Snice most people just quit and re-roll a new character if they get a bad quest at 50'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* I'm used to being able to just hit enter to confirm buying/selling items (e.g. "dm<enter>" to sell the item in slot m), so requiring me to actually hit 'y' is jarring.
* Likewise, it'd be nice if <escape> were accepted as an analog for "no"

http://forum.nppangband.org/viewtopic.php?id=981

The store interface is universally hated and I am working to fix it right now. I should have a better version out in a couple days in beta-3.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* Prompting for pickup selection when there's only one item on the floor is pointless, especially since I have "prompt before picking things up" turned off.
* Likewise, informing me that there are no items left on the floor doesn't seem necessary.
I wrote a completely new object pickup system,a nd I am still working out the quirks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* Not all accents display correctly. For example, the Dunedain on the birth screen
It all worked fine, but now I am noticing some are broken again (Diego's last name on the spash screen as well). I will look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* I got a quest for lemures, and after fulfilling the quest conditions, there were still more lemures left to kill. Intended?
This can happen with quests for group monsters. It seems rather harmless, so I haven't done anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* It seems a bit odd that elvish walls don't light themselves up.
They should. This must be a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* I encountered a random flickering granite wall (savefile available if desired)
Yes, please send me the savefile. That shouldn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* A Scroll of Recharging added only 2 charges to a Staff of Perception. Intended? Also, Staves of Perception seem to be a bad deal currently -- they cost more per-charge than scrolls of Identify do.
Good point. I will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* Object detection (and other detections?) appears to detect every object that fits onto the window; thus, expanding your main window increases the power of these spells.

The Angband limited detection range is the next thing on my to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* When I destroyed an un-ID'd Ring of Searching, it auto-ID'd in the process. Intended?
No, but I think I already fixed this for Beta-3. If not, I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* I find it interesting that my character automatically knows the flavors of items he sees in stores. At least, I'm assuming that's why I haven't had to ID various flavored items...
Yes, that's intentional. That's my attempt to reduce ID tedium.

Thanks for the feedback & observations. I am glad you are enjoying it.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 07:08   #4
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,654
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Okay, I've put the save for the flickering wall issue up here. And it's good to hear that some of my gripes are known and fixed or to-be fixed.

More thoughts!

* You should probably not be given quests for treasure pits. Just sayin'. I got two artifact cloaks and three ego-items off that one, plus newfound vitality from the guild and 18351 AU from all the treasure drops.
* Lotho Pimple's drop seems overly generous; I got three items from him, one excellent. His small arrows don't seem to do any damage, though it could be I was just regenerating too quickly to notice them.
* Typo in the terrain docs: "In all instances below, creatures whoare actively flying..."
* The terrain docs talk about dying instantly in certain terrains, which sounds a bit harsh. I'm assuming that they merely do heavy elemental damage...
* It seems a bit wrong that creeping diamond gems are more dangerous (thanks to their ludicrously high AC) than creeping adamantite coins are. On that note, using a Staff of Sleep Monster to purposefully wake up the entire treasure pit was perhaps not the smartest thing I've ever done...stupid fast poisonous monsters with too much AC. I'll grant this is going back on my previous point earlier, but on the flipside this was looking like another hilariously lucrative quest until I woke everything up.
* I like the fact that pits can have multiple entrances. Really reduces the "stand at the entrance and hold attack" problem.
* Destruction seems to show up quite early -- I found both a staff and a scroll by 1050'.
* You have a distinct TMJ problem compared to Vanilla. The number of junk ego items I'm carrying back is moderately insane, and as noted I'm only at 1050'. I'm going to start squelching all but artifacts pretty soon at this rate.
* Personally, I don't like how the monster memory immediately latches onto a new monster in LOS as soon as you kill the previous monster. I like being able to look at the memory of the monster I just killed.
* ...you appear to have significantly upped the chances of vaults appearing. Okay. Wow. I haven't seen a Curlicues vault in ages. The ranged traps make vaults considerably nastier, too.
* Chests may be a bit too good as it stands. Even small chests generate lots of items, and the items tend to be high-quality. Particularly, I just opened a Chest of Stat Potions. And later found a chest with two Potions of Life. Hello.
* Incredibly minor: standing on two rings of resist cold, I squelched the first, and then the second was still visible.
* Hm, your object generation algorithm is cruel. Two rings of speed, both cursed. Why?
* The "newfound vitality" reward doesn't get displayed when I receive it at the guild. I have to look in the message history to see it.

All in all, this is pleasantly reminding me of the Zangband days. It could use a bit less Monty Haul (or else some nastier monsters) but otherwise I'm getting a nice high-power vibe from it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010, 06:16   #5
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,654
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Okay, bug: if you try to swap in a piece of gear from the ground when your inventory is full, you get the message "You are unable to take off X", where X in the item currently occupying the slot. Then the item you tried to equip is equipped, and the original item vanishes entirely, as if it were destroyed (haven't tried on an artifact though).

* A service to buy WoR scrolls would be nice.
* Disturbance seems to be weird with respect to telepathy -- I'm getting disturbed when ghosts move around even though I have "disturb whenever any visible monster moves" turned off. What's going on here? This is unfortunately quite annoying when I'm trying to dig into a vault...or rest...
* Using the recharge-item service at the magic store on my staff of speed with 1 charge caused it to become un-ID'd, but using it on my staff of destruction with 0 charges did not.
* Walls covered with vines seem to be very difficult to dig through, even compared to granite.
* Eol's description has a bug: "This creature, and is native to forests, and moves very quickly." Probably has something to do with the terrain nativity.
* I was fighting a Dreadmaster standing in a wall while his buddy the Ghost was standing next to him in an open tile, and the health bar kept showing the Ghost's health instead...I think.
* Time traps? That's just mean. Especially when they're standing way down a corridor...
* Chests that are destroyed by explosive devices are not auto-squelched.
* Cursed ammo wielded to the quiver can be destroyed.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010, 12:58   #6
Philip
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague,Czech Republic
Posts: 890
Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Okay, bug: if you try to swap in a piece of gear from the ground when your inventory is full, you get the message "You are unable to take off X", where X in the item currently occupying the slot. Then the item you tried to equip is equipped, and the original item vanishes entirely, as if it were destroyed (haven't tried on an artifact though).

* A service to buy WoR scrolls would be nice.
* I was fighting a Dreadmaster standing in a wall while his buddy the Ghost was standing next to him in an open tile, and the health bar kept showing the Ghost's health instead...I think.
On the first point, I can verify it. I think of it as a funny feature.
Second point I think is good.
Third I am assuming that the Ghost hit you last, and that you are assumed to be in combat with it. At least I think so.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 00:53   #7
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stat Gain, Angband
Posts: 926
nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Okay, bug: if you try to swap in a piece of gear from the ground when your inventory is full, you get the message "You are unable to take off X", where X in the item currently occupying the slot. Then the item you tried to equip is equipped, and the original item vanishes entirely, as if it were destroyed (haven't tried on an artifact though).
This bug was reported, and has been fixed for Beta-3. I will work on those other issues & suggestions. Although WOR scrolls should almost always be in stock.

I am trying to get Beta-3 out as soon as possible. It is almost ready but my progress has been a little slow these last couple weeks.

As for the time traps, There are also gravity traps and inertia traps as well, but they all shimmer so they are easy to spot. As a heads up, if you think that is mean, beware of a unique called Azathoth. I think he kills more high level adventurers below 3000' in the NPP dungeon than all monsters combined. {edit - with the high level hydras coming in a close second place - those are basically the enforcers of the deep dungeon, and make it hard to survive down there if you aren't ready for a tough fight.}

Last edited by nppangband; December 11, 2010 at 01:05.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 01:31   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,413
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
beware of a unique called Azathoth. I think he kills more high level adventurers below 3000' in the NPP dungeon than all monsters combined
Yes, indeed.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 21:38   #9
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stat Gain, Angband
Posts: 926
nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I downloaded the source for NPPAngband, did 'make -f Makefile.osx', and rolled up a dwarf warrior. Here's my thoughts so far:

* Not all accents display correctly. For example, the Dunedain on the birth screen
On my screen, Dunedain displays right (in Windows). Did you compile yoursels, and if so, what operating system are you using?

[/QUOTE]
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2010, 18:22   #10
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,654
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I did compile myself, using the OSX makefile...and shockingly enough, the OSX operating system too.

Anyway, that character's dead. I got reeaaallly sloppy when an ancient chromatic dragon was in LOS, letting him breathe three times. It just so happens that the first two dealt just enough damage for the third, which was unresisted poison, to put me at -17 HP. Mind, if I hadn't just previously found Aule and swapped it in for Gurthang (which gives poison resistance), I would have survived that just fine. Or if I'd spent less time dicking around with the on-fire door he created with a fire breath. Shows what I get for considering the monster to not be a threat. I had over 1000HP and wasn't even level 40 yet; playing as a dwarf warrior with maxed CON, I wonder how much of that was due to the vitality quest bonuses?

Incidentally, making Kavlax a hydra with your new pan-elemental hydra system is genius.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NPP Angband MWGE Variants 6 December 8, 2010 23:14
Un 0.64 thoughts Therem Harth Variants 13 November 14, 2010 18:47
NPP sdl Nick Variants 10 July 15, 2010 07:23
My thoughts on 3.1.1 TJS Vanilla 2 August 14, 2009 05:20
3.1.0 thoughts TJS Vanilla 11 January 15, 2009 17:39


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.