Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 25, 2010, 01:36   #1
awldune
Adept

awldune is on a distinguished road
A new instadeath for me

Gnome mage, clvl 32, very carefully cleaning out a vault at 2600'. There were two lesser vaults side by side, not much to worry about in either after killing off a dozen dreads. Found a nice crown of the Magi.

ID'ing the loot from the second vault, suddenly I see, "The Ethereal Dragon breathes confusion... You die."

It came from outside detect range through the walls. Tough break!
awldune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 02:17   #2
cofresi
Apprentice

cofresi is on a distinguished road
Most unfortunate indeed. I take it you did not have Thranduil or any other form of telepathy at the time. It just goes to show that when the RNG says your number is up, there's nothing more to be said.

He is: the most Interesting @ in the world.
cofresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 03:39   #3
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I put ethereal dragons on my most dangerous monster list. Check out http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...insubject:list

You may have to scroll up. For some reason my browser starts in the middle of the thread and I don't know how to fix that.

Last edited by PowerDiver; March 25, 2010 at 04:43.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 04:05   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The reason your browser starts partway down the page is because you've linked to a specific part of the page, instead of the page in general. Remove the "#97e7a075c1e81e1a" from the URL and it'll take you to the top.

What's particularly terrible about Adunaphel?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 04:42   #5
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The reason your browser starts partway down the page is because you've linked to a specific part of the page, instead of the page in general. Remove the "#97e7a075c1e81e1a" from the URL and it'll take you to the top.

What's particularly terrible about Adunaphel?
I just did an advanced search with google groups, making no particular reference to the post that got aimed at, and I tried searching with qualifiers such as written by me, so I have no clue why that was added to the link. With luck I will remember to cut after the '#' in the future. Thanks. I might as well edit it now.

Read the thread. ISTR that discussion was in there. I remember Timo also was perplexed why I ranked Adunaphel so high, but I have lost a huge number of characters and loot and consumables, mostly indirectly but caused nevertheless, to trouble with Adunaphel.
Old March 25, 2010, 14:34   #6
awldune
Adept

awldune is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofresi View Post
Most unfortunate indeed. I take it you did not have Thranduil or any other form of telepathy at the time. It just goes to show that when the RNG says your number is up, there's nothing more to be said.
Yeah, ESP would have saved me, as would another point of CON. Oh, well.
awldune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 18:27   #7
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
It would be nice to see some statistics about how many @'s on the ladder have been killed by which monsters. Unfortunately there seems to be no easy way to extract this information. Anyone with a full set of dumps could cat the lot of them to
Code:
sed -nE '/^Killed by (.*)$/s//\1/p' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
but I wouldn't want to download all of them.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 20:29   #8
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Vanilla only, 337 dumps, 141 unique causes.

4 The Lernaean Hydra.
4 Uriel, Angel of Fire.
4 an Air hound.
4 an Ethereal dragon.
4 an Inertia hound.
4 an Undead beholder.
4 starvation.
5 Azriel, Angel of Death.
5 a Chaos hound.
5 a Drolem.
5 a Gelugon.
5 a Pit Fiend.
5 a Plasma hound.
5 an Ancient green dragon.
6 a Dracolich.
6 a Dread.
7 Carcharoth, the Jaws of Thirst.
8 The Phoenix.
8 a Time hound.
8 an Ancient multi-hued dragon.
12 a Gravity hound.
44 Ripe Old Age.
Old March 25, 2010, 20:39   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
Vanilla only, 337 dumps, 141 unique causes.

4 starvation.
This is indicative of the problem with this exercise. I suspect some or all of those were actually deaths to fire attacks that burned the last scroll of recall. The final blow is often not the true cause of death.

It can get convoluted. Adunaphel appears in a wall where I cannot teleport him, finding me badly wounded, and I am forced to teleport self. Then energy hounds destroy my wand of teleport other and surround me, and I have to teleport again to get killed by I forget what, but I remember I thought I would have survived with the wand. I blame that death on Adunaphel even though his appearance was two steps removed.
Old March 25, 2010, 21:47   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I suppose a more in-depth analysis would involve examining the message history and giving all monsters seen there an "assist" in the death. That of course would ignore monsters that influence your behavior without actually taking any direct action (e.g. "oh shit, there's a balrog on the other side of this wall; time to teleport"), but it'd be less likely to lose these indirect causes.

I'm kinda surprised so many people die to The Phoenix. I always saw him as a bit of a one-trick pony whose only major attack could be double-resisted by any character, though I see he now has light breath and a summoning spell. Time hounds also surprise me, because while they're annoying, I've never found them to be directly dangerous.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote