Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 23, 2016, 06:56   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
This is correct. It is correct for rangers too: If you find a monster +MIGHT longbow, it will dominate nearly everything except Bard. That said, BRAND_FIRE kills pretty much everything, so going with cubragol is almost always a reasonable choice for anyone who is either short on speed or has an epic-grade melee weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram View Post
My character found a heavy crossbow of extra shots early, found Amrod a bit ago, and just found Belthronding. So I wanted to revisit this question; here's a comparison with a tricked-out L50 rogue, with all the non-artifact bows at +15 damage. I didn't get slay evil ammo; this is with Wounding +23 ammo.
Code:
Bow		Damage
Cubragol		157
Amrod		205
Lothlorien	257
Bard		278
Amras		308
Umbar		340
Belthronding	353
Haradrim/HCXS	428
Buckland	552
So for non-rangers this boils down to the question of how much missile damage you're willing to give up in order to wear a stat stick. It's possible to find the non-artifact bows with better than +15 damage, further skewing this in favor of the heavy crossbow of extra shots, Haradrim, and Buckland.

Note Cubragol gets double that against foes not resistant to fire- I figured since the brand won't make a difference for many other kinds of ammo I'd stick to quoting the base damage.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016, 17:13   #12
Gram
Scout

Gram is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I imagine the brand is amazing if you find it early on (of course the speed even more so). But later on, by the time one is actually likely to have to choose between some of these, branded or slay ammo is not extremely rare any more, and everybody except warriors has access to the Elemental Brand spell.

I'm really not sure I feel good about dropping any of the three my rogue has. I've been wearing Amrod for the +STR, +CON, and regen, and toting the heavy crossbow around as a swap for when I need more serious missile damage. But carrying bolts in addition to arrows, along with the heavy crossbow, has seemed kinda ridiculous, especially since I have the Glaive of Pain and thus focus on melee. I guess that now that I have Belthronding I should carry that as the swap, get rid of all my bolts, and make space to leave the HCXS at home. Later, if I max out STR and CON some other way, I may want to go back to the crossbow.
Gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016, 20:09   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes. With Glaive, you can ignore your shooter. Belthronding is the right swap (as much for disenchantment as for shooting power.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram View Post
Yeah, I imagine the brand is amazing if you find it early on (of course the speed even more so). But later on, by the time one is actually likely to have to choose between some of these, branded or slay ammo is not extremely rare any more, and everybody except warriors has access to the Elemental Brand spell.

I'm really not sure I feel good about dropping any of the three my rogue has. I've been wearing Amrod for the +STR, +CON, and regen, and toting the heavy crossbow around as a swap for when I need more serious missile damage. But carrying bolts in addition to arrows, along with the heavy crossbow, has seemed kinda ridiculous, especially since I have the Glaive of Pain and thus focus on melee. I guess that now that I have Belthronding I should carry that as the swap, get rid of all my bolts, and make space to leave the HCXS at home. Later, if I max out STR and CON some other way, I may want to go back to the crossbow.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016, 11:15   #14
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
So looking at these numbers and the unique ranged weapons, two suggestions:
- there currently is no unique sling, maybe something relatively low level that drops early would fit best
- it would be nice if one of the unique xbows would be a pure massive damage dealer instead of a stat stick, kind of like the glaive of pain, giving players the choice between a stat stick or dealing lots of ranged damage
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote