Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 3, 2009, 06:24   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I like java well enough, except for the strange reluctance to support operator overloading. (C# is much better in this regard.)

On further thought, C++ is probably the way to go.
It has:
- A portable model for the canvas (OpenGL)
- A portable model for text rendering (GLTT)
- An adequate object model

What is missing from this lst is a nice portable lightweight UI (paneling) system, and a portable I/O model. Yes, there's gtk and Qt, but I did say lightweight. (The thing is 80MB to install on OSX; Qt is even bigger! I didn't bother.)

I did find
- a Fast Light Toolkit, which looks very promising. (I downloaded it; it's extremely lean.)

via some linker sites:
http://www.ohloh.net/tags/toolkit/ui
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...4/guitool.html
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009, 06:43   #12
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I did find
- a Fast Light Toolkit, which looks very promising. (I downloaded it; it's extremely lean.)
FLTK was the most promising of the libraries I played with (from my point of view). I liked the FLUID tool.

I did a quick RogueBasin page for it and review.

(I suspect the minor problems I had with compiling in VC++ have now been resolved).
Old July 3, 2009, 07:02   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I wrote exactly one UI widget for Angband--the menu, implemented as the only subclass of Panel. (I also wrote a simple UI event system.) After that I realized that it was a losing battle--I'd do better not to reinvent any more wheels. But it was an useful learning experience, and I did a pretty good job for ~1000 lines of code.

If nothing else, it gave me an idea of what to look for in a toolkit. (The answer is definitely not SDL, GTK or Qt.)

Last edited by Pete Mack; July 3, 2009 at 07:08.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009, 10:12   #14
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
I'm still really looking at C#. Sure, C++ has the libraries and such, but I'm sure they could be written for C# or be ported over.

In any case, I'm writing this to keep the display/input seperate from the core game processing. If all goes to plan, you should be able to use any display engine you want and not have to change a bit of code for the main game.

I believe I will continue with C#, and if the project begins to look promising, and if there is enough interest, on completion I'll port to C++ which will make for a good learning experience.

EDIT: Thanks for all your replies and inputs guys, I think it's time I started working, the paladin I was working on got obliterated as I was making my way to a greater vault to nab the junk inside (I was just going to port away as much as possible, then _*DEST* everything else. But I teleported myself, and got breathed on by a greater basilisk. Qué sera', sera'.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote