AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 12, 2010, 06:17   #11
Napsterbater
Adept

Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble Dice View Post
If it's the latter, then we should just give a value to all the listed items, which would prevent them from being squelched. They might not be actually "useful" but they're not harmful, and they may be situationally useful at low character, dungeon, or skill levels.
Why not just replace those items with gold then? It's good gameplay to have chaff items that soak up ids and inv slots. Giving worthless items high gold values just for the sake of making them useful is dumb, if you ask me. This goes beyond rectifying Too Much Junk in my opinion. You can't just eliminate junk. You have to have junk. Junk is what makes good items worthwhile.

When you get down to level 30 and see un-id'ed rings and wands and rods that you could very well die trying to grab, you don't just not go for them just because most of the time, all you'll find is a wand of fire bolts, a ring of the dog. You get excited because sometimes, you'll find that ring of speed, that un-id'ed -TO. If every item were as useful as a -TO, nothing would be worth risking death over. Half a screen and a pack of water hounds would discourage you from ID'ing a new rod. You'd just wait until you found one that spawned right next to you, because you'd know that the next rod you find would be just as useful.

Some things have to be junk. That's just the way it is. You can try to make them ever so slightly useful, in certain rare occasions, but 99% of the time you find them, they'll be junk.
Napsterbater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2010, 06:47   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm just guessing, but I think squelch_worthless might have been introduced to eliminate rings with good flavors but negative pvals.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2010, 15:29   #13
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napsterbater View Post
Giving worthless items high gold values just for the sake of making them useful is dumb, if you ask me. This goes beyond rectifying Too Much Junk in my opinion. You can't just eliminate junk. You have to have junk. Junk is what makes good items worthwhile.
Giving a value to junky rings in object.txt would (counter-intuitively) not change their sale price or affect gameplay in any way, because equipment discards the object kind's value field and uses a power-based algorithm to determine price. Adding a price in object.txt will simply prevent the game from automatically squelching those items when the "squelch_worthless" option is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I'm just guessing, but I think squelch_worthless might have been introduced to eliminate rings with good flavors but negative pvals.
Thankfully we have quality squelch for that, now. Currently the option only squelches kinds which have a value of "0" in the object.txt file - even though rings and amulets use power-based pricing instead of the static edit file value.

I think the only way to address this problem (rings of teleportation/escaping get squelched by squelch_worthless) for now is to just add a "placeholder" value in object.txt. I don't think we could do anything based on actual item value without item-level squelch, since a randomized item kind could possibly have a zero or a non-zero value based on how good the item was.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2010, 19:24   #14
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I thought it was introduced around 3.0.8 before !death and =stupidity and all those obviously bad things were removed. (Even then wands of heal monster would get squelched with squelch_worthless, and they do 4d6 damage to undead.)

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2010, 21:15   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I thought it was introduced around 3.0.8 before !death and =stupidity and all those obviously bad things were removed. (Even then wands of heal monster would get squelched with squelch_worthless, and they do 4d6 damage to undead.)
It was introduced to auto-squelch items you can't sell. Either keep it doing that, or get rid of it altogether.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote