Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 16, 2010, 23:12   #11
awldune
Adept

awldune is on a distinguished road
Hmm, so I played around with squelch_worthless and am not so sure it's a prf issue.

I created a new file, set squelch_worthless. Enter Wizard mode, create a shard of pottery. It is marked {squelch} as expected.

Suicide and make a new char on the same file. Options menu indicates squelch_worthless is on. Create shard as above, but it is not squelched. There is no prf file for this player.

Toggling squelch_worthless off and on doesn't seem to make a difference.

Seems to be a savefile issue.
awldune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2010, 00:14   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I just took a look, and the horrible option code appears to be inconsistent. Tables really need to have the value as an entry, and an init function to double-check everything is in place. I can't say this is the problem, but

in one place
Code:
                OPT_hide_squelchable,
                OPT_squelch_worthless,
                OPT_easy_alter,
                OPT_easy_open,
                OPT_show_lists,
                OPT_mouse_movement,
and in another place

Code:
{ "hide_squelchable",    "Hide items set as squelchable",               FALSE }, /* 75 */
{ "squelch_worthless",   "Automatically squelch worthless items",       FALSE }, /* 76 */
{ "mouse_movement",      "Allow mouse clicks to move the player",       FALSE }, /* 77 */
You see those hardcoded numbers in the comments, consecutive numbers for non-consecutive options, and things don't match up exactly. It would not surprise me if various tables are out of sync.

Someone needs to rewrite the option stuff so that inconsistency is impossible, but I am not volunteering today.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2010, 02:44   #13
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Squelch_worthless only activates for item kinds with a value of 0 and only when becoming aware of a kind for which k_ptr->everseen is false. I believe this means squelch_worthless does not affect any object which has 1) already been found in the current game or 2) been found in a previous save game.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2010, 04:50   #14
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble Dice View Post
Squelch_worthless only activates for item kinds with a value of 0 and only when becoming aware of a kind for which k_ptr->everseen is false. I believe this means squelch_worthless does not affect any object which has 1) already been found in the current game or 2) been found in a previous save game.
That is clearly screwed up. Surely it should be kind_is_aware && value == 0 with no reference to everseen. The everseen must have crept in with someone trying not to be spoilery with squelch menus, copied and pasted where it does not belong.

[edit] I found what you described, and it's not even in the right place in the code! I'll move it where it belongs with the application as described above.

Last edited by PowerDiver; March 17, 2010 at 05:13.
Old March 17, 2010, 16:53   #15
PowerDiver
Prophet

I've been wondering if maybe this dates really far back, to the time when squelch was first written. Squelch was initially intended to avoid looking at sticks and pottery etc. ISTR that squelch settings used to persist through death and birth of a new char. This code fragment sort of makes sense in that context.

The current interpretation of "worthless" is defined in terms of object kinds. Should that change to price? Will people be confused if squelch_worthless does not squelch a cloak [1, -9] ?

Or should the option simply be removed?