Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 3, 2010, 19:46   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The future may be a long way away. In the interim, can we simply disable setting variables read from pref files that do not belong in them? Or would that screw up the parser?
Don't know. But as soon as I make any changes to pref files, I'll do the whole thing. MarbleDice is pretty close to splitting out the knowledge file anyway, I think. I'm still waiting to finalise the Debian package of 3.1.2v2, then I'll get onto this.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 04:50   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I've been fixing the squelch_worthless option, and came upon a possibly tricky situation while playtesting.

Should worthless flavors be marked as squelched in the object knowledge menu if you have the squelch_worthless option set?

It seems obvious that the answer is "yes", but there is a problem. Sooner or later the squelch menus will disappear, and everything will go through the object knowledge. At that time, it might be perplexing if someone looks and see some object kind being squelched, toggles squelch and it does not become unsquelched.

Is there a simple solution that won't confuse anyone? Am I worrying about nothing?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010, 14:30   #13
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Having the option squelch items regardless of their squelch setting is just confusing period. It might be some help to use a bright red X for a kind which is squelched, and a dark red X for a kind which is worthless but not squelched (and thus squelched by the option).

The other alternative is to just set the squelch flag for that item kind at specific events - such as when you become aware (for previously unknown worthless flavors), or when you turn the option on (for all known worthless flavors). This would be similar to how it works now, but less buggy.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2010, 08:33   #14
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble Dice View Post
Having the option squelch items regardless of their squelch setting is just confusing period. It might be some help to use a bright red X for a kind which is squelched, and a dark red X for a kind which is worthless but not squelched (and thus squelched by the option).

The other alternative is to just set the squelch flag for that item kind at specific events - such as when you become aware (for previously unknown worthless flavors), or when you turn the option on (for all known worthless flavors). This would be similar to how it works now, but less buggy.
This is the way to do it. The option should simply set all worthless items to be squelched, leaving the user free to unsquelch them individually via the knowledge menu. Whether the option sets unknown worthless items to be squelched is a matter for debate - I say yes, otherwise the option is pointless.
Old March 27, 2010, 18:16   #15
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
What you two are proposing is a squelch command, not an interface option.

Options are yes/no, and toggling twice should be a no-op. They should not be commands to do something.

I remember a choice in the tval based squelch menu to squelch or unsquelch all svals for that tval. I don't know if that was in V or NPP or somewhere else. That sort of thing belongs buried in the squelch interface, or perhaps in the future in the object knowledge interface. That was occasionally useful, but I never missed it, until recently when I implemented money squelch.

I am more likely to save and use a potion of poison or a scroll of trap creation than a wand of confuse monster, so I never use the option. Perhaps the better choice is to remove the option. That would be less annoying to people who like the option if someone created an appropriately named prf file to be distributed and locatable in lib/pref whose sole contents was a set of squelch settings for worthless objects, and a more reasonable interface for loading recommeneded prf files.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2010, 09:41   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I am more likely to save and use a potion of poison or a scroll of trap creation than a wand of confuse monster, so I never use the option. Perhaps the better choice is to remove the option. That would be less annoying to people who like the option if someone created an appropriately named prf file to be distributed and locatable in lib/pref whose sole contents was a set of squelch settings for worthless objects, and a more reasonable interface for loading recommeneded prf files.
I would wholly support this approach. MD?
Old March 30, 2010, 15:03   #17
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
"Squelch worthless is broke? Just take it out!" I love it.

Seriously though, I don't care much about it one way or another. Fixing pref files is the ultimate solution, but in the interim either of the following is fine with me:

1) Remove it.
2) Make the change to item_squelch_ok or whatever to squelch worthless items when the option is set, and the interface changes to the knowledge/squelch menus so you get some indication of what's actually squelched by the player, and what is squelched by the option.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote