Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Oook!

Old May 15, 2007, 11:59   #1
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
I need a forum for non-variant specific development discussion

Hi,
I need to discuss some development issues that aren't variant specific. Sadly, the forums have no place for that since Vanilla is for vanilla specific stuff and variants is for variant specific stuff.
Could you create a General, General Development or Development forum?
(Just whichever that seems best.)
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 14:11   #2
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
I think you can just go on with general ideas in Vanilla forum. Clearly, the debate already taking place there, like the thread on graphical tiles, is not restricted to Vanila either.

The meat of the development debate is going on off forums, on angband-dev mailing list.
Old May 18, 2007, 01:29   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
I think you can just go on with general ideas in Vanilla forum. Clearly, the debate already taking place there, like the thread on graphical tiles, is not restricted to Vanila either.
This is true, but I think there might be a place for another forum in the Angband section on port-related issues.

So far there's been Christer's thread on main-gcu in the Vanilla forum, and an ongoing discussion in the Sangband thread on Leon's SDL port (which at least one variant will be nabbing soon ). These are really issues that apply to all variants and Vanilla.

This has occurred to me in the context of the discussion UnAndrew and I are having on rgra about graphics ports at the moment, which would be another example if it was on the forums (or fora).
Old May 18, 2007, 19:04   #4
Leon Marrick
Sangband maintainer

Leon Marrick is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The meat of the development debate is going on off forums, on angband-dev mailing list.
One vote for a general development forum when traffic at all permits. Keeping the number of forums to a minimum is a superb move, but I honestly think that players of Angband deserve a forum free from developer chit-chat and technical talk. I know I'd be a little intimidated if I just wanna play the game and had to wade through source code and compiler errors.

When one's comfortable talking code, it's hard - but vital - to remember to give players room to just be players. This has always been a problem in the newsgroup, IMHO - development talk drowning out gameplay chat.
Leon Marrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 20:04   #5
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Sure, development forum will be created once the Vanilla forum traffic rises. So far we have ten threads active in last week in there, so that's not that hard to navigate yet.

I'm a little bothered about the silence in AAR section - is no one urged to write an account of his exploits in the Dungeon? -- I found this very interesting reading in other game forums I frequent.
Old May 18, 2007, 21:46   #6
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Marrick View Post
One vote for a general development forum when traffic at all permits. Keeping the number of forums to a minimum is a superb move, but I honestly think that players of Angband deserve a forum free from developer chit-chat and technical talk. I know I'd be a little intimidated if I just wanna play the game and had to wade through source code and compiler errors.

When one's comfortable talking code, it's hard - but vital - to remember to give players room to just be players. This has always been a problem in the newsgroup, IMHO - development talk drowning out gameplay chat.
I do recommend people join the angband-dev mailing list.

http://angband.oook.cz/mailman/listinfo/angband-dev

This is, at least, where the V development discussion is going on.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 00:16   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm a little bothered about the silence in AAR section - is no one urged to write an account of his exploits in the Dungeon? -- I found this very interesting reading in other game forums I frequent.
I wouldn't worry yet. I think people are just getting used to the forums, and focusing on posting the sort of stuff that doesn't work so well on the newsgroup. Accounts of exploits have always featured there; I'm sure they will start to turn up on the forums soon.