Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 13, 2007, 23:25   #11
Kav
Scout

Kav is on a distinguished road
Well I guess that means if I play in a console, remotely, or from windows I'll be safe.

auto-define macros as needed, very puzzling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I think that until I fix the way input is handled generally, the solution is just to up the number of allowed macros a bit.
I don't suppose you would mind telling me how to do that? Please?
Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007, 00:36   #12
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav View Post
Well I guess that means if I play in a console, remotely, or from windows I'll be safe.

I don't suppose you would mind telling me how to do that? Please?
It requires compiling the game, having changed MACRO_MAX in defines.h. I don't know how savvy you are with compiling, but I could make you an executable on debian etch easily enough and send it your way.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007, 16:36   #13
Kav
Scout

I've compiled plenty of stuff before. The variable change sounds like a no brainer, does 512 sound good? I wouldn't want to bother you any more till I give it a shot myself. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Kav; June 14, 2007 at 16:44.
Old June 14, 2007, 20:09   #14
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
I've compiled plenty of stuff before. The variable change sounds like a no brainer, does 512 sound good? I wouldn't want to bother you any more till I give it a shot myself. Thanks a lot.
512 should do fine. (I always assume that people running OS-packaged versions don't "do" compiling.)
Old June 15, 2007, 05:51   #15
Kav
Scout

Here's where my lack of experience kicks in.
make install doesn't "install" angband the way I was expecting. In fact it didn't seem to move any of the compiled files at all. Was I just supposed to expect to move them to /usr/games/ on my own or something? I thought all I had to do was change prefix to /usr/games/ in the Makefile, but obviously not. And how do I get it to use my old /var/games/angband directory?
Old June 15, 2007, 14:58   #16
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
Here's where my lack of experience kicks in.
make install doesn't "install" angband the way I was expecting. In fact it didn't seem to move any of the compiled files at all. Was I just supposed to expect to move them to /usr/games/ on my own or something? I thought all I had to do was change prefix to /usr/games/ in the Makefile, but obviously not. And how do I get it to use my old /var/games/angband directory?
I never used the old autoconf system, and I've never installed the game system-wide, so I don't really know. However, installing over the top of a system-installed package can have nasty consequences. It's traditional to put all machine-specific stuff in /usr/local/ when you have a package manager, to avoid it overwriting or getting confused at altered files.

What I would suggest is not installing it at all, and just running it from ~/angband-3.0.6/ or wherever you happen to have it. Copy your savefiles from wherever debian keeps the savefiles to lib/save/, and carry on playing...
Old June 15, 2007, 15:38   #17
Kav
Scout

That makes pefect sense. I think I'll also contact the package maintainer and tell him about this. Sorry for all the trouble and thanks a lot for your help