Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2017, 04:40   #1
calvinasleep
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 22
calvinasleep is on a distinguished road
a Band of & Band~

Just saw this show up when i quaffed a potion of enlightenment. I vaguely remember seeing a thread about this but couldn't find it. Not sure if it is a bug?

edit: randarts game. Was "the Band of Celin"
calvinasleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2017, 10:26   #2
kandrc
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 278
kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinasleep View Post
Just saw this show up when i quaffed a potion of enlightenment. I vaguely remember seeing a thread about this but couldn't find it. Not sure if it is a bug?

edit: randarts game. Was "the Band of Celin"
Definitely a bug, and I'm sure we've all seen it, but I can't recall having seen anybody report it (probably because it doesn't cause a crash and we all play on and forget about it until the next time). It's exposing information (that this is an artifact ring) that @ shouldn't be able to know.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2017, 11:03   #3
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,143
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
You just found a variant
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017, 00:27   #4
calvinasleep
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 22
calvinasleep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
Definitely a bug, and I'm sure we've all seen it, but I can't recall having seen anybody report it (probably because it doesn't cause a crash and we all play on and forget about it until the next time). It's exposing information (that this is an artifact ring) that @ shouldn't be able to know.
Makes sense. I've been playing with birth options to know all variants and runes cause I hated the ID game so I wasn't sure if it was because of that.
calvinasleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017, 05:49   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,461
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
I've always considered it a bug. Tulkas, Barahir rings (maybe the Elven rings too, if I remember correctly), and the amulets Carlamas and the Necklace of the Dwarves, have this problem.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017, 21:59   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,702
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
I would really like a savefile demonstrating this problem.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017, 22:16   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,346
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nick-
You can almost certainly repro it by creating the object in wizard mode while blind.
Then step out of LOS and examine it from a distance.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017, 23:39   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,702
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Nick-
You can almost certainly repro it by creating the object in wizard mode while blind.
Then step out of LOS and examine it from a distance.
That doesn't work for me. Examining from a distance before it's known it's still a "Diamond Ring" (or whatever), and then as soon as I step on it, it gets its full name. This is regardless of how it's detected (Object Detection, seeing, !Enlightenment, etc).
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 00:09   #9
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,461
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That doesn't work for me. Examining from a distance before it's known it's still a "Diamond Ring" (or whatever), and then as soon as I step on it, it gets its full name. This is regardless of how it's detected (Object Detection, seeing, !Enlightenment, etc).
Hmmm. !Enlightenment and then looking in the object list always gets me the "a Band of & Band" problem when one of those items is around. I will try and get a save file for you.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 02:58   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,702
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Hmmm. !Enlightenment and then looking in the object list always gets me the "a Band of & Band" problem when one of those items is around. I will try and get a save file for you.
Thanks, I have one now.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A minimal band Antoine Variants 147 August 31, 2016 13:53
Underdark - band Zireael Variants 62 June 26, 2013 12:57
Angelband not a 'band cowgod Variants 20 June 17, 2011 21:42
Which Band has the most stuff? Larvitz Vanilla 5 January 24, 2009 18:43
Party-focused *band Garrie Variants 6 February 24, 2008 14:09


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.