Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 16, 2017, 00:19   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes. Warrior and Rogue are the best starting points for newbs; warrior is better for a pure newb, since it can power through where no other class can. Paladin is a good choice too. Mage comes in next; it's sort of a purist's rogue class, where evasion and careful choice of target rule all. (Priest isn't all that different from Paladin, but is also very fragile at the start.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 00:26   #12
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTart View Post
I don't mind grinding for experience in exchange for higher stats.
you will soon find out that this is not a reason why high elves are inferior.
Old October 16, 2017, 00:39   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

@sky--Huh? HE is a very, very powerful race. I'm not sure what you think is stronger?
Old October 16, 2017, 01:21   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
High-Elves are above-average everywhere, but for any given class there's usually a race that complements it better. Probably the most notable exception is Mage, since the other high-INT race, Gnome, is considerably more frail. But Dwarves make better priests/paladins, Kobolds and Hobbits make better rogues (and probably rangers), and Half-Trolls make better warriors.

Of course, you are by no means required to only choose complementary race/class combinations. Wasn't there someone on these forums that got a win with every single combination?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 02:38   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

HE definitely makes the strongest rogue and ranger classes. I agree it's not optimal for Priest and (possibly) Paladin, but Dunadan is probably a bit better than Dwarf, especially if you plan to use melee. The -2 DEX is pretty punitive on top of additional DEX loss for priest. If you pick Dwarf priest, it's a long, long time before you can become the canonical healer-fighter of a high level priest.
Old October 16, 2017, 03:20   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I generally play priests as Orb/device monkeys for the early and mid-game. Their DEX is so bad even with a decent race that you're not going to have worthwhile melee until post-stat gain anyway. Needing an extra couple of Dexterity potions to get there is not a big deal in my book. But I concede that not everyone thinks that way. Likewise I think we can agree to disagree on rogue/ranger races.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 06:48   #17
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Of course, you are by no means required to only choose complementary race/class combinations. Wasn't there someone on these forums that got a win with every single combination?
Yeah, some idiot did that. He didn't come up with any "perfect" race/class combo though. More often than not, combinations had surprising results in terms of turncount, playability, challenge, etc. The luck of the draw on what equipment and consumables you find has a much greater effect in the long run.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 09:08   #18
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
orcs make better rogues than anything else. trolls make better mages, and humans make better anything else.

look, the thing is that empirically, HE are the worst race in the game. you will probably beat the game around CL44~46 before youc an be bothered to grind for !EXP. this means that, from a practical point of view, you have less HP than anyone else, you fail spells more often, and have less SP.
You will go through the game grinding for mobs with an inferior XP value and a higher XP target with inferior spells, AND ALL THIS because you wanted seeinvisible at CL1.

oh and by the way, the SP regen that half trolls have more than makes up for the lack of SP, which anyway quickly disappears when you chug !Intellect and !Intelligence.

half-orcs are the best rogues, too. i dont play Priest so i've never played a dwarf.
Old October 16, 2017, 10:59   #19
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I prefer my rogues stealthy and therefore I like hobbits, kobolds, and gnomes better.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2017, 03:34   #20
PopTart
Rookie

PopTart is on a distinguished road
Still confused about inferiority of high elves. Wouldn't a level 40 high elf have better stats than say a level 40 human of the same class? And all you have to do is kill twice as many monsters.
PopTart is offline   Reply With Quote