AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 9, 2017, 05:37   #11
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimborn View Post
On my last run (before I made this post) I came within 3 squares of a Vampire Lord, probed him, then got out ... and also Ren appeared out of nowhere. So I definitely know to watch out ... I also used my first scroll of banishment on 3 plasma hounds on that same level (who were in a vault). The Ren incident was scary because up until then I actually thought I was fine just constantly (or very frequently) casting my Detect Monsters.
Plain detect monsters only handles visible monsters. Nazgul are invisible. And if you're seeing them, then you're also in danger of running into other nasty invisibles, such as a pack of Dreads. If you were a mage, I'd say upgrade to reveal monsters rather than detect, but that might not be practical for a rogue at your level (but then, it might work; it's been a while since I played a rogue). The poor man's alternative is to carry a few staves of detect invisible (easily found in the dungeon or at your local magic shop), and use one of those alongside your detect monsters. Or just use your Holhenneth activation, which will also reveal everything.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017, 06:02   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Most Nazgul are visible. But yes, there are a number of dangerous invisible undead. Use the Reveal monsters spell in MB3 (or else rods of Detection if your Mana pool is too low)
You're running into the downsides of the "diving exercise for newbies" type character I posted a week back. Giving up a couple points of STR/DEX in favor of CON (and for a rogue, a couple points of INT) makes the early game harder but the midgame easier. You'll need a LOT of con (8+ points) to get your HP up. In the meantime, rely on stealth, detection, and evasion. I recommend carrying rods of light for hallways until you get good HP and/or ESP. Monsters are much less likely to jump out of nowhere if you can see where you're going.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017, 10:03   #13
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Beruthiel is junk.
Not when it is your only source of ESP, and even more in recent versions where it's not cursed anymore. I'd carry that as a swap item and use it before taking the stairs to detect stuff that's around when you arrive on the next level. I'd rather see the pack of plasma hounds that's in the same room than use the only turn I have before being in big trouble to detect them.
Old November 9, 2017, 10:37   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Plasma hounds glow in the dark. You don't need ESP for them anymore when going down stairs.
Old November 9, 2017, 11:18   #15
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
People here have you all covered but they missed one thing:

You are wearing plain gloves. As a red book caster, gloves reduce your manapool by 1/3 unless they have either free action or a dexterity bonus. Rogues should never ever wear plain gloves.

Some gloves with strong properties might be worth taking the mana penality; a little AC isnt important enough to do so.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017, 17:34   #16
Grimborn
Rookie

Grimborn is on a distinguished road
Bleh. I died last night. I guess it was idiotic. i came across an "omen" level with a nasty vault with unique dragons on DL52. saw a bunch of interesting items there and got greedy, decided to try it out. kavlax. i'd heard he was bad but didn't know why. it said he was only worth 3000 exp so i figured no big deal. but then i guess he slowed me down or something and then blam. like 15 attacks on me all at once before the end of the turn. like i said, was kind of idiotic, never should have attempted that. ah well.
Grimborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017, 17:57   #17
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimborn View Post
kavlax

Don't worry it's a rite of passage.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017, 18:04   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

He's bad news, but at speed +18 (hasted) you should be pretty pretty safe. Some bad luck there. Kavlax and Gorlim are the first really dangerous uniques (for their level.)
Old November 10, 2017, 07:04   #19
mrfy
Scout

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
He's bad news, but at speed +18 (hasted) you should be pretty pretty safe. Some bad luck there. Kavlax and Gorlim are the first really dangerous uniques (for their level.)
Definitely. Just ran across Gorlim with my human paladin character at level 30 (Gorlim is level 41). Thought I had a chance at killing him, but even with myself at 262 hit points he kept hitting me with water bolts or mana bolts, getting my CCW stash dangerously low. Finally TO'd him a few times while recovering my arrows and escaped. Don't remember him as being that dangerous but I usually have fought him as a mage or ranger at a lower depth and with better gear.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 09:40   #20
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Yes, first time Kavlax will always breathe gravity at you, although he can breathe a zillion extra stuff, just because he hates you.