Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 11, 2017, 20:39   #1
gkorbel
Rookie

gkorbel is on a distinguished road
Randart Ring

I've been playing Angband / Moria for three decades. I think this is the best randart ring I've ever found.

c) the Ring 'Noeglien' <+5, +1>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 100 feet (level 2)

+5 strength.
+1 light.
Provides immunity to lightning.
Provides resistance to cold, poison, sound, nether, chaos,
disenchantment.
Provides protection from fear, confusion.
Cannot be harmed by lightning.
Sustains strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution.
Speeds regeneration. Prevents paralysis.
Radius 1 light.

At 100' -- that ought to help!
gkorbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 21:26   #2
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
A ring of STR <+5> at that depth is insane. A ring of Lightning immunity on level 2 would be a huge find. A ring of rPois at that depth is wonderful to find, not to mention a =FrAct. All of those things and more in one ring? That's just bonkers.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 22:19   #3
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Simply encountering a vault at 100 feet is nuts. The artifact seems reasonable for a ring of power, but even in vaults you shouldn't be finding those until DL 80 or so.

Granted, you do occasionally find some sweet loot on DL 1, but not like that! DL 1 'Thancs are common (or the randart equivalent; I usually play standarts). My best was a DL 1 Raal's when I was actually playing a mage. That was a fun early game, but of course it wasn't any different to playing a normal mage game once I got down to the depths where Raal's is native.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017, 00:15   #4
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
and then you are terrorized that you will die before you get to actually cast anything out of raal's
Old November 12, 2017, 11:13   #5
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
A ring of STR <+5> at that depth is insane. A ring of Lightning immunity on level 2 would be a huge find. A ring of rPois at that depth is wonderful to find, not to mention a =FrAct. All of those things and more in one ring? That's just bonkers.
And you didn't even mention pconf, pfear and regeneration. At that depth even only +1 light (in the form of a lantern) would be a welcome find for me...
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 06:33   #6
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
and then you are terrorized that you will die before you get to actually cast anything out of raal's
Actually, no. The first spell of Raal's is learnable at a surprisingly low level, probably for situations like this. You still have to get through the stages where your main offensive spells are magic missile and ice bolt (and IIRC also fire bolt), but Raal's is practical after that; acid bolt becomes a niche spell (against single non-resistant monsters) rather than a main weapon, and the elemental balls from the town books are strictly worse than anything Raal's provides.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 06:55   #7
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Actually, no. The first spell of Raal's is learnable at a surprisingly low level, probably for situations like this. You still have to get through the stages where your main offensive spells are magic missile and ice bolt (and IIRC also fire bolt), but Raal's is practical after that; acid bolt becomes a niche spell (against single non-resistant monsters) rather than a main weapon, and the elemental balls from the town books are strictly worse than anything Raal's provides.
Hmmm when I get Raals early I leave it at home and use acid bolt, to save on an inventory slot. The one spell that is really superior to acid bolt is Rift.
Estie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 07:18   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yep, Raal's isn't much good until pretty late in the game. You need a LOT of Mana to cast those spells. And even then, it's a stopgap until you can cast the big 3 Kelek damage spells. (Except Rift, as you mentioned.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 14:37   #9
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Yep, Raal's isn't much good until pretty late in the game. You need a LOT of Mana to cast those spells. And even then, it's a stopgap until you can cast the big 3 Kelek damage spells. (Except Rift, as you mentioned.)
Rift is great. I love to use it against Morgoth. With a mage, I map the level and make my way to the biggest open room, then I mana storm him at distance, then rift him when he's a few squares away. I'll only TO if he summons and I have to clean up, or if he gets adjacent so that I don't get an earthquake.

Agree that Raal's is not useful early. I leave it at home until 3 missiles with meteor swarm.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 21:02   #10
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Explosion is another spell in Raal's that I use frequently.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote