Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 16, 2017, 21:11   #11
Diogenes
Scout

Diogenes is on a distinguished road
THanks for the advice, all! Inthe end, I think I'll go with PowerWyrm's advice.
Old November 16, 2017, 22:18   #12
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
(Disclaimer: This is speaking from a perspective of wanting to win the game as efficiently as possible. If you just want to have fun... do your own thing and don't listen to anything anyone else says.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
THanks for the advice, all! Inthe end, I think I'll go with PowerWyrm's advice.
Statistics, etc. aside I would say that it really depends on how invested you are into the character. Personally, I like to take huge gambles in the early-to-mid game because you can always restart and nothing much will change (character-wise). You should only have invested a few hours at this point. (If it's taken you in-game weeks, then you're probably doing something wrong.)

Late-game... well, you've made it that far, so your character is obviously quite sturdy (or you've been superhumanly perfact at playing it). Interestingly, once you've got early-to-mid game down, the late game actually doesn't change that much... do the "I'm scared all the time, but kill enemies-of-opportunity when I can" thing.

Your only worry at that point is the two final must-kill bosses... which there is specific advice for, but let's worry about that when we/you get there.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 23:25   #13
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
There is no reason not to take a look, investing the mushroom. I would be hard pressed to find a better use for a mushroom of second sight than to scan a GV.

Going to the entrance is no risk and then you can see what you can see. It might be that Ancalagon is in one room and Osse in the other, then you can still abandon the attempt, but its more likely that there are just a bunch of orcs inside.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 22:20   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Estie-
His problem wasn't the big guys. It's that he doesn't have enough to even handle the ancient dragons. (No Teleport other, and not enough healing/haste to kill them.)
Edit: it's worth holding back some supplies just in case you run across a vault. They have sufficiently good loot that they're worth a perceptible risk, especially early in the game. But without Teleport Other, you're kind of stuck. Do keep GP14K available just in case it shows up in the black market. Combined with a speed potion, your odds aren't bad of getting rid of a few instantly lethal monsters: ~.05*Pk, where Pk the chance of a lethal spell. Of course, if you get there before they wake up, your odds of success are 100%. It's why people like Rogue as a class.

Last edited by Pete Mack; November 17, 2017 at 22:28.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017, 03:11   #15
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Sure, but theres no reason not to take a look at least. An ancient dragon might be too much, but the first bubbles could hold orcs.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017, 05:49   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Oh, sure. I'd forgotten the context. In Bubbles and Checkerboard, it's always worth going as far as you can. Those are hugely profitable.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote