Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2017, 01:22   #1
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 426
bron is on a distinguished road
Bug and Questions about curses

Are curses supposed to be defendable ? For example, I'm wielding a object with the "it occasionally paralyzes you" curse. I also have Free Action. I occasionally gets a "your equipment grabs you!" message, but do not, in fact, get paralyzed. The question is, is that intended, i.e. the protection overcomes the curse? Or is the curse intended to overcome the protection ?

In this vein, I have observed a bug: I am wielding am object with the "occasionally makes you hallucinate" curse. Not only do I never hallucinate, but it actually has the opposite effect of protecting me against hallucination. For example, if I eat a Mushroom of Emergency, I get healed, but no hallucinations. If I remove the "cursed" object, and then eat the mushroom, the hallucinations come on as expected. I attach a savefile demonstrating this.

I'm still running v4.1.0
Attached Files
File Type: zip savefile.zip (13.2 KB, 7 views)
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 01:50   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,705
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
Are curses supposed to be defendable ? For example, I'm wielding a object with the "it occasionally paralyzes you" curse. I also have Free Action. I occasionally gets a "your equipment grabs you!" message, but do not, in fact, get paralyzed. The question is, is that intended, i.e. the protection overcomes the curse? Or is the curse intended to overcome the protection ?
In this case, it's intended that the protection overcomes the curse - which is not to say that there might not be a case where it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
In this vein, I have observed a bug: I am wielding am object with the "occasionally makes you hallucinate" curse. Not only do I never hallucinate, but it actually has the opposite effect of protecting me against hallucination. For example, if I eat a Mushroom of Emergency, I get healed, but no hallucinations. If I remove the "cursed" object, and then eat the mushroom, the hallucinations come on as expected. I attach a savefile demonstrating this.
I couldn't actually test this, I'm afraid, as I need your randart file as well. It does look like a bug - although if that item also has RChaos, that would explain it. Although probably things with that curse and RChaos shouldn't be generated, so it's still a bug.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 03:12   #3
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 426
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
if that item also has RChaos, that would explain it.
Yes, the randart in question does indeed have RChaos.

So RChaos protects against hallucination from other sources as well?? I never knew that. I'm not complaining mind you, but it seems a bit inconsistent. For example, RSound protects you against Stunning due to sound attacks, but not Stunning due to other reasons.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 03:35   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,705
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
So RChaos protects against hallucination from other sources as well?? I never knew that. I'm not complaining mind you, but it seems a bit inconsistent. For example, RSound protects you against Stunning due to sound attacks, but not Stunning due to other reasons.
IIRC RSound used to protect against any breath/spell stunning, until pStun was introduced. So I guess we could introduce a protection against hallucination and split it out from RChaos in the same way, but I think it would probably make both of them a bit too weak. Still, it's probably worth keeping in mind as a possibility.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 03:50   #5
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 426
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
it's intended that the protection overcomes the curse
Thanks, Nick. That's very good to know. In particular, it turns the "paralysis" curse into almost a no-op, rather than certain death. Which is what I thought, but it's good to be sure.

So I guess the only (minor) issue here is that you probably shouldn't generate a randart that has both "hallucination curse" and RChaos.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 04:43   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,705
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
So I guess the only (minor) issue here is that you probably shouldn't generate a randart that has both "hallucination curse" and RChaos.
Correct, and I have a fix for that in development.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 09:47   #7
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,146
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Here are more redundant or conflicting cases:
- teleportation curse on an item with OF_NO_TELEPORT
- impair mana recovery curse on an item with OF_IMPAIR_MANA
- impair hitpoint recovery curse on an item with OF_IMPAIR_HP
- cowardice curse on an item with OF_AFRAID
- anti-teleportation curse on an item with OF_NO_TELEPORT
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 18:26   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,347
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Also electric immunity with Steelskin, etc.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing curses.... Thorpy Vanilla 7 November 15, 2011 19:20
on heavy curses PowerDiver Vanilla 48 November 26, 2009 23:15
What we need: More heavy curses buzzkill Variants 16 November 4, 2009 19:53
Questions about curse bug Estie Vanilla 6 June 24, 2009 23:51
Curses Nick Development 29 March 19, 2009 14:36


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.