Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 25, 2017, 10:42   #11
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I would suggest that there are things you could do to avoid being killed by a back of uruks that were 13 squares away. For example, have access to teleportation (even with bad magic device, a staff of teleportation will get you away from pack melee mobs before you die). Have enough stealth to be able to run away without too many of them chasing you. Assume the uruks are in fact in the same room as you and not in an adjacent room, and behave accordingly. Or even read word of recall and run.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 18:35   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
One of the things that NPPAngband does is have the player always enter the level on a small cul-de-sac that doesn't have LOS on anything. It's worth considering adding that to Angband; I don't think that entering a level, and then dying because there was an awake nasty enemy that you couldn't immediately see/detect with ESP, is really adding much of anything to the game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 23:42   #13
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
One of the things that NPPAngband does is have the player always enter the level on a small cul-de-sac that doesn't have LOS on anything. It's worth considering adding that to Angband; I don't think that entering a level, and then dying because there was an awake nasty enemy that you couldn't immediately see/detect with ESP, is really adding much of anything to the game.
Brogue is another example of a roguelike that prevents enemies spawning on a new level within LoS of the stairs, and I never thought like it ruined the experience.