Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 1, 2017, 00:44   #11
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
That is pretty strange. I seem to always find way too many arrows when I don't specialize in archery, but not that many when I am specifically playing as a ranger. Last game I found tons of wounding, tons of brands, demons, dragons, seekers etc. all before 65k turns.... It's probably one reason I don't like playing Ranger as I'm invariably to find a great melee weapon. HT/Warrior is good enough at archery to try it if I find a good launcher. And last last game I did it again: Found the best sling of buckland and some fine mithril shots of the Berskerker to go with them:

Sling: (+14, +26) <+4>, <+2>
Mithril Shots of the Berserker: (+30, +29). Didn't find any shots of holy might, and forgot to use my Rune of protection against M. I actually don't know how to use a rune of protection against Morgy as a ranger. He just moves wherever he wants. Can't he just move around the rune? Or do you mean you launch at him while he is in your face trying to melee you? I suppose that makes sense when you are doing 1200 dam a round. Seems a bit cheap/silly, though. Launchers are a ranged weapon, heh. My sling was only doing 840 per round with the evil shots I found.

There was one other game I played where I found pretty much the exact same sling. But my last game I ended up mostly meleeing Morgy. For me, if I'm in a place where I can shoot him from afar, he'll summon a bunch of stuff between me and him. I suppose I could banish or m/banish, but I feel a little bit like kandrc, not the funnest way to beat Morgoth. I find it a lot more fun to not use those and bounce all over the level, as it means I can't diddle daddle too long, for if I do, the level will be swarming with Reavers and 1600 breathing dragons etc. I usually have enough damage that I can close out the show with only a couple risks of death during the fight and before the summons get too out of hand. Most games I don't even bother with ?*destructions* as I find there's other stuff I'd prefer to take an inven slot in my home and on my person.

But fighting Morgy without all rBase or less than 20 speed seems pretty ballsy. I still remember that one time I was fooling around with different equipment setups in a GV near the bottom of the dungeon when a great dragon entered the GV off screen and breathed lightning on me when I didn't realize I lacked it and brought me to like 46hp.

Question about Randarts. Last three games I won I played with the same randarts, and all three games I found an acid/slay evil <+2> extra attacks scythe. An insanely good weapon. Now, in all the many games I played Standarts I only found Aule or ToW a few times each. I'm pretty sure the scythe in the randart game was better than the two Standart weapons. Is it easier to find better artifacts in a randart game than standart? There is at least one artifact in the Standart set I've never even found.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017, 01:11   #12
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
i had to figure it out on my own, a rune of protection is something you stand on, and monsters cannot attack you .. for a few turns.

i'm not 100% sure on this, but i think if you cast run *while* the monster is next to you, it only lasts 1 turn.
Old December 1, 2017, 02:04   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Grotug: as far as I know, there is no Holy Might mithril ammo for slings. Weaker ammo is the one weakness of Slings of Buckland. But even Slay Evil or Wounding shot is plenty deadly.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017, 02:35   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
i'm not 100% sure on this, but i think if you cast run *while* the monster is next to you, it only lasts 1 turn.
Monsters have a chance to break the rune, which chance depends on the monster's level. Morgoth is level 100, which doesn't guarantee that he'll break the rune, but his odds are still pretty good (for him, not for you).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017, 04:00   #15
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
Because Rangers get the Rune spell, but don't otherwise have need for much mana vs Morgoth, sea of Runes is cheap but effective. What else are you going to do with the saved restore mana potions?
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017, 04:05   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Morgoth has a 1/2.5 chance of breaking a Rune per attempt, I believe.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017, 05:31   #17
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@Grotug: as far as I know, there is no Holy Might mithril ammo for slings. Weaker ammo is the one weakness of Slings of Buckland. But even Slay Evil or Wounding shot is plenty deadly.
I have found Holy Might mithril shots before; they are just very rare. I suspect that is because of a multiplication of rare base items with rare mod. For sling archers, the branding spell is exceptionally useful.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017, 10:38   #18
Sky
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
Because Rangers get the Rune spell, but don't otherwise have need for much mana vs Morgoth, sea of Runes is cheap but effective. What else are you going to do with the saved restore mana potions?
specifically against morgoth, nothing. but against other uniques, you phase, and then spam CLW. generally thats enough to bring you up to full health, saving your !Heal for the last fight.
Old December 1, 2017, 16:12   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
specifically against morgoth, nothing. but against other uniques, you phase, and then spam CLW. generally thats enough to bring you up to full health, saving your !Heal for the last fight.
...where you had more healing potions than you could possibly ever use anyway. Has anyone ever told you you have a hoarding problem?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017, 17:54   #20
Sky
Knight

the first time i died to morgoth it was because 90% of the fight went like this:
morgot causes a mana storm
me: drink heal
morgoth: mana storm