Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 15, 2016, 16:52   #11
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
Whine and you shall receive...

The level I played right after my last message had a decent randarts a scimitar that offers immunity to lighting and a quickish (49 to 54 turns) activation for Protection from Evil, which means I could have that buff in effect perpetually. And, perhaps around stat-gain, it might become an effective weapon.

And I'm not sure I can do the martial artist challenge just yet—still too reliant on my weapon. But if you have tips as to how to handle that martial artist, I'm all ears.
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016, 06:16   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There's no such specialty in V: martial artist is pure challenge character that simply goes without a weapon.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016, 14:08   #13
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
I know there's no class in V—but there's a strategy (I'm assuming) for doing well during the challenge.
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016, 14:47   #14
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMicah View Post
I know there's no class in V—but there's a strategy (I'm assuming) for doing well during the challenge.
I'm not sure if this is valid in current vanilla, but in a bit older versions all non-weapon bonuses did increase your melee-damage even without melee-weapon and you got two hits, so melee was not completely out of question.

Other than that, you could play magic-only mage (or priest, but that would require using wands until OoD, and that could be rather impossible challenge). Bow-only ranger is a good challenge too. You need a huge quiver.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016, 17:44   #15
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Fists only is possible, it just requires an awful lot of patience. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17057
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016, 00:42   #16
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I'm not sure if this is valid in current vanilla, but in a bit older versions all non-weapon bonuses did increase your melee-damage even without melee-weapon and you got two hits, so melee was not completely out of question.

Other than that, you could play magic-only mage (or priest, but that would require using wands until OoD, and that could be rather impossible challenge). Bow-only ranger is a good challenge too. You need a huge quiver.
How about magic-only priest counting thrown flasks of oil as a magical attack? There has to be some sort of magic involved to make it so that the flasks explode rather than simply inducing prat falls.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016, 01:20   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Timo--
In 4.x, fists count as a 0lb 1d1 weapon, so you get as many attacks as with a dagger. And yes, combat bonuses apply. Take a look at Ingwe's ladder post to see details.

QUOTE=Timo Pietilš;108949]I'm not sure if this is valid in current vanilla, but in a bit older versions all non-weapon bonuses did increase your melee-damage even without melee-weapon and you got two hits, so melee was not completely out of question.

Other than that, you could play magic-only mage (or priest, but that would require using wands until OoD, and that could be rather impossible challenge). Bow-only ranger is a good challenge too. You need a huge quiver.[/QUOTE]
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016, 09:00   #18
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
How about magic-only priest counting thrown flasks of oil as a magical attack? There has to be some sort of magic involved to make it so that the flasks explode rather than simply inducing prat falls.
Those are considered lit when thrown so that you burn whatever you hit. Molotov cocktails basically.

[EDIT] grammar

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; February 23, 2016 at 09:09.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote