Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 9, 2009, 00:10   #1
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
monster speed

I'm wondering if there is something about monsters getting faster when they run away in fear, and then keeping the speed boost when they come back. Or maybe I hit it with haste effect from wand of wonder without noticing.

It's probably just in my mind. However, I could know for sure if I could see their speed when I look at them.

Would it be a good idea to be able to see a monster's exact speed including all temporary effects when you look at it? Would it be worth differentiating between monsters you have seen move vs sleeping or merely detected but not seen?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2009, 12:13   #2
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
I was just thinking something similar myself; it has been pointed out elsewhere on here that some monsters move up to 20% faster than the average for their type, so maybe when you look at one of these (if you've seen it move,) it could either say 'this monster is moving faster than normal' or give the exact number for speed.

This way you would be less likely to get surprised when a monster suddenly double-moves on you.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2009, 18:42   #3
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMorgoth View Post
I was just thinking something similar myself; it has been pointed out elsewhere on here that some monsters move up to 20% faster than the average for their type, so maybe when you look at one of these (if you've seen it move,) it could either say 'this monster is moving faster than normal' or give the exact number for speed.

This way you would be less likely to get surprised when a monster suddenly double-moves on you.
I would hate for the specific speed of individual monsters to be added. I feel that these small details (mosters being 20% faster or slower) add to the richness of the Angband experience. This is where players need to build skill in determining monster speed and using "universal precautions" to avoid getting double-moved. I don't want my play style to become simply a numbers game.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote