Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 9, 2015, 21:28   #41
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
<aol>Me too!</aol>

(Incidentally, is the AOL reference too old to be recognized by people around these parts? I feel kind of old now...)
Um...sorry. No idea.
But I may well be older than you, just less techno-savvy.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 22:59   #42
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Well, the talentless hack who took over maintaining Angband has been nothing short of a disaster. The only positive outcome from that decision was the terrific fellow they found to run the competition in his stead.
There's still someone actually running the competition? I thought it must have been handed over to a bot written by some student as a summer project.
Old August 9, 2015, 23:21   #43
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Could you explain the T4 system a little bit? I've watched a Let's Play (I think it was made by fizzix), but I'm not sure I understood the loot system. There seemed to be some sort of end-of-level "choose-it-or-lose/sell-it" type thing going on, but I'm not sure.
In T4, you carry a weightless box where all items you pick up get stored (no weight). Each time you change level, you get asked to do one of 2 things with the inventory of this box: either monetize them ("sell") or transfer to your normal inventory (where they are no longer weightless).

You automatically pick up everything you run over, and you can manually "sell" or remove items from the box at any time, not only when changing level. But after taking any stair, the box is empty.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015, 00:17   #44
Fat Chuck
Rookie

Fat Chuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Yep. Freeing myself from having to sell all the crap I find in the dungeon is amazing and no-selling is literally the best thing that's happened to the game in over a decade.

(Which isn't to say that a lot of other great stuff hasn't happened to the game, just no-selling is the best)
Hear, hear. I was a compulsive lugger back to town but once I was accidentally stuck in a no-sell game, I found it very liberating to focus on the actual objective of killing what's his name.
Fat Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015, 01:00   #45
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
In T4, you carry a weightless box where all items you pick up get stored (no weight). Each time you change level, you get asked to do one of 2 things with the inventory of this box: either monetize them ("sell") or transfer to your normal inventory (where they are no longer weightless).

You automatically pick up everything you run over, and you can manually "sell" or remove items from the box at any time, not only when changing level. But after taking any stair, the box is empty.
Doesn't sound very realistic, but I suppose neither is carrying around millions of weightless gold pieces, and no one seems overly bothered by that.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015, 01:17   #46
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There's still someone actually running the competition? I thought it must have been handed over to a bot written by some student as a summer project.
No, a bot would actually manage to start them on time.
Old August 10, 2015, 17:52   #47
tumbleweed
Adept

tumbleweed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Invisible Stalker View Post
Doesn't sound very realistic, but I suppose neither is carrying around millions of weightless gold pieces, and no one seems overly bothered by that.
Some degree of realism is all fine and dandy, but it's not always trivial to find a good balance between it helping immersion and being a pain in the backside.

Come to think of it, every armed or armored humanoid should drop whatever he's wearing upon death, and a swarm of insects should be unable to drop plate mail (nudge nudge)
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015, 21:10   #48
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
Realistic Angband tried something like that. Piling all the orc armors in one pile and recalling at like 5000% encumberance. Realistic!
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015, 21:39   #49
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
Realistic Angband tried something like that. Piling all the orc armors in one pile and recalling at like 5000% encumberance. Realistic!
There actually was a "Realistic Angband" variant at one point. It went in some weird directions. There was a lot of items because every orc would drop a full set of gear. If I recall correctly, speed also improved your AC.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015, 14:13   #50
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Yep. Freeing myself from having to sell all the crap I find in the dungeon is amazing and no-selling is literally the best thing that's happened to the game in over a decade.
I agree fully with this. At first it felt odd to throw away stuff that had no value (the OCD -me still wanted to carry them along "just in case"), but once I got rid of that feeling it was liberating. Now I can actually use wands, and not keep max charges in order to get max payment from shops.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote