Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old May 17, 2017, 18:48   #81
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
24th recall:

i clean up a bit, selling staves of treasure detection, drop my artifact, sell the flail of Borno (won't need it), and stash most of my potions.

my current run is 816k game turns, 120k standard, 60k resting. not sure what this means, though.

DL57:

i blink a few times to kill a dreadmaster, and get a level feeling of 6-3. As i make my way to the stairs, i get pounced on by Ariel, Queen of Air. Shame that her only strong point is her confusion attack, and i have resisted confusion since .. idk, DL20.

I try to make it to the stairs but see a Balance Drake, and i want to kill it. I get within range of a Crystal Drake, go for the kill, and wooosh, get hit by a time hound.

I TS out of there with my stats halved, and i find myself with a bunch of Mumaks (AKA XP Bags) to one side and Al-Pharazon The Golden to the other.

The mumaks die pretty easily, but the fight with Al-Pharazon takes forever .. he keeps teleporting me away, and summoning everything. i resort to TO his summons and trying to stun him, i finally land a second stun and finish him.
He drops the Great Axe of Taunfauru (5d4) (+11,+16), +2 Blows, +3 DEX, Weak Acid Brand (why do these things even exist), slays undead and dragons. meh. I mean sure, not bad, but nothing amazing.

DL58:

Harowen, The Black Hand, comes to harass me. I keep blinking because he's basically a better Master Rogue, he can steal some useful stuff. Then i remember i have Rune Of Protection, and i dig myself in, but he gets stuck behind an air hound because the two AI conflict, and i need to dig him a way to come to me .. to get murdered.

He starts dancing around me, i stun him once, deal a lot of damage, then try to stun him a second time, but fail, he breaks my circle, and puff! he blinks and i cannot find him. I TS several times, find an undead beholder, an eye druji .. things i do not want to fight.

The level feeling is 5-2, so i leave.

DL59:

another level without much, feeling 5-3. I walk around to kill some basic mobs, and see a sleeping Uvatha, The Horseman. This is a pretty easy kill, as he does not resist acid and only rarely casts a feeble nether bolt. He drops a second Mordekainen's. I decide to recall.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 19:31   #82
Sky
Knight

24th recall, i just sell everything and head back down.

DL59: i barely see this level. it's a 4-4 feeling and a maze level, with an undead beholder, some aether hounds, a basilisk ... why risk it.

DL60:

Lokkar again tries to ruin my day, i cast Rune, the whole shebang, and melee him, and he summons everything including an undead beholder, but i just Acid Ball him and then TO the summons away. He drops nothing, but the level feeling comes back as 6-$. It's a relatively small level, with a few large rooms.

I move to the first bunch of items, and find 4 plasma hounds, which i nuke from out of line of sight with my ice storm spell. The next room has Azog, King Of The Uruk-Hai in it, and he dies immediately. i ID a potion of Life ..

I find a .. human pit? priest pit? illusionist pit! And i fire 3 ice storms in it and everyone dies.

In a chequer room i find the Flail Of Isteluin, a 3d6 flail with +5 INT, slay almost everything, rDisenchant, and some artifact caestus with +4 WIS that i cannot use.

I'm really strong so i just waltz around the level, nothing can harm me, except some ethereal hounds ..
i kill two, then TS. They chase, and i kill 3 more. I keep myself hasted and attack them fiercely, without giving them time to form a pack. In the end they are dead and i am left with 50k XP more than i started with.

I lost a scroll of MBan to a breath, but it's ok. i recall to sell and see what the BM has in store.
Old May 17, 2017, 20:30   #83
Sky
Knight

25th recall .. not much ado, the BM has nothing valuable.

DL60:

i'm looking for Kelek's. Or large vaults in general. I find two potions of STR, which is good, but the level feeling is only 6-6, so i leave.

DL61:

i try to take on Arien, Maiar of the Sun, and it doesn't go well. i lose two Heal, one *Heal, and i bail out. She outmatches on on everything, casting, melee, stunning, summons, i need to leave. Fortunately it's a 5-3 level so i can take the next stairs i find.

DL62: a giants pit, with Baphomet right next door .. there's another tough cookie i don't want to mess with. i TO him when he wakes, and kill the giants. A Berserker reminds me i still have no pFear, and i remind him i can cast Acid Bolt.
I Blink once to avoid a death quasit, and find myself in the next room. There is an eye druji behind a wall, but i had not noticed also the Lernean Hydra, which i TO right away.
The level feeling is 7-2, so i leave.

DL63:

Medusa shows up, and i remind her that she's out of her league, here. I get once more bitten by the fact that i have no pFear, but finisher her off with my spells. Before i have a chance to rest, Dwar shows up again, and i send him away with a TO. I find the Halaberd 'Helemerlon', a really basic artifact that i will keep for money. I now have 400k Gold, but you never know when a stack of *Acquirement is gonna show up.
I make my way to the stairs and i get the level feeling 3-5 ..

DL64:

right next to the stairs is a demonic qultlyug, that summons a lesser balrog .. i can melee the balrog, he takes 300 hp off me but then dies, but it's a shame i don't know what spell to insta nuke the Q with.
A breath attack burns both my mage3, so i need to go back.
Old May 17, 2017, 20:51   #84
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It's worth carrying a stack of !hero, not just because of fear, but because of Mage's terrible melee and archery spells. The extra +10 bonus counts for +30 base skill points. You will notice the difference against high-AC opponents. Recommend using Ice Storm or Shock Wave to soften up opponents for melee. It's a lot cheaper than Rune, and works roughly as well.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 00:26   #85
Sky
Knight

26th recall, nothing for sale. i just sell my stuff and recall. i'm now carrying 3 of each mage book.

DL64:

I recall next to a red dragon, and it seems impolite to not kill it. while i finish him, a 7 headed hydra shows up and burns 2 of my books .. how rude.

it's a 5-5 level, so i leave.

DL65:

a 6-4 level, i walk around picking up potions of heal, augment and enlight, and i spot Tselakus, The Dreadlord; too close to even buff properly, i blink and haste, then slow him, then blink, shield. i melee him and TO some of his more offensive summons. i use my second potion of mana of the entire game.
Eventually he dies, i need to quaff a RLL before delivering the final blow. Ding!, CL38, 694 HP, 287 SP.

He drops the Partial Plate Armour of Suleg, [40,+25], +1 INT, +5 search .. +5 infra .. and rChaos, rNexus, rDark, pConf, pBlind. Not bad, but also not great.

stairs!

DL66:

i'm close to a vampire, a bunch of earth hounds, a crystal drake (i do not resist shards), mumaks, and some smaller mobs. i move to kill them, and ID a rod of TO and a nice scroll of *remove curse*, for that artifact i have at home.
The level feeling comes back as 6-5, so i leave.

DL67:

level feeling 4-6, i leave, or so i think. i run into Vargo, Tyrant of Fire, and decide to kill him. For some reason, he is smart and decides to not melee me, until i lose it and step off the Rune and hack him to pieces.
He has no drops, but at least he pays a bit of XP. I see Saruman and The Phoenix rushing me, i Detect Traps and Stairs, and i see a trapdoor .. i (W)alk into it.

DL68:

another maze level. And there's Ariel here. She's nothing like Vargo, so i cannot take her on now without using up all my consumables.

She wakes up and rushes me, i TO her and then try to walk around to get the level feeling, but i get ganked by a mystic. I fail a blink due to stun, then blink again .. risky, but it works. The level feeling comes at 5-4, so i blink again and i am next to some stairs.

DL69:

ANOTHER maze level, this time with impassable walls and plasma hounds.
this one has a level feeling of 5-$, and a Master Mystic .. deadly without stun protection and at least +20 speed.
The artifact in question happens to be a super-cursed crown, with negative stats, but i want to see all the treasure on the level before i leave.
Nope, nothing. i recall.
Old May 18, 2017, 00:50   #86
Sky
Knight

nothing new from my 27th recall.

DL69: whatever happened to those nice big levels with big juicy vaults in them?

This level starts decently well, i kill a fire giant, some fire hounds.. levle feeling 7-$, and a vault! YAY!

I TO Fundin Bluecloak (he really wants to die, uh?) and start to explore.
Gaah .. time hounds. I spend a lot of time trying to hit them in the AoE of Ice Storm, it takes forever, but i kill them all and walk away with 70k XP more.

I keep walking, and Fundin rushes me again, then fills the corridor with annoying summons, including two basilisks. I TS away, and find myself next to the vault.

This vault has a relatively easy entrance, i haste, rush to the middle without waking anything, and read my Mass Banishment

Vault is clear except for two uniques, Itangast the Fire Drake, and Ugluk, The Uruk.
I also see a Kelek's ... Now, i could cheat and TO Itangast, but since when i take Kelek's it's basically game over, i decide to kill him.
Actually, i feel kind of sad. Itangast doesn't hit me once, he doesn't even breathe.

I cry a lone tear, and then gather my takings.

I find a semi decent rapier with lightning brand, +2 STR +5 INT, but only 1d6 base damage, so i discard it.
Also the Mithril Shod Boots 'Uniwe', which are just boots of speed +10 with rLight.

I create a keymap for phf (Mass Banishment), recall, sell everything, then set off down to DL90 to grab a few extra artifacts and finish the game.
Old May 18, 2017, 01:27   #87
Sky
Knight

28th recall (and 29th)

i recall to DL69, and walk up to some earth hounds, and smugly press my MBan key, and i fail the 24% fail rate spell four times. I'm out of mana and i see The Mouth Of Sauron heading my way.

i walk .. run .. back a few steps and Tele Self.

I teleport to a room at the edge of the map, and rest, but before i'm done two more Nazgul walk in on me. I TS again, and this time i wind up next to Ariel and i see The Mouth nearing.

I recall. (level feeling 7-7)

29 recall, nothing changed.

DL69:

just a pack of Time Hounds, another painfully slow AoE massacre, out of which i get enough XP to ding! CL39, 716, 297 SP.

DL70:

i pop out right next to a pacman vault, which i MBan, but the level feeling comes to 7-7, no luck.

DL71:

two vaults.

first vault, Ulmo, Ungoliant, a Nazgul, and Feagwath. All TO. Two artifacts on the ground.

DL72:

Nothing.

DL73:

nothing

DL74:

an undead pit (MBan) with The Iron Shood Boots of Tiluin, who was known for being really fast, as they give +13 Speed and +3 Stealth. BOOM.

30th recall ..

i sell my stuff, ID a potion of Experience, and *Enlight, both of which i buy back.
Old May 18, 2017, 01:35   #88
Sky
Knight

damn, i'm falling asleep ..

DL74:

a vault and not much else, just Radagast walking around. A quick MBan later i own a Ring of Nibil, (+1,+8), +5 STR, +3 INT, +5 CON, rPois, and Hoarmurath Of Dir walking alone .. doesn't he know it's dangerous?

And, as i speak, a terrible accident befalls him .. he accidentally slips and hits his head repeatedly on my morning star, dying.

ok, i've had enough for one day, i'm out.
Old May 18, 2017, 14:46   #89
Sky
Knight

31st recall.. nothing useful.

DL74:

just a mouse and a death mold. level feeling 5-3.

DL75:

i find Fundin Bluecloak asleep in a microvault. no way for him to escape. i lay down some Runes, buff up, slow him, stun him, and maul him with my flail.

He drops a pick, pretty decent but 1d3 base and not much damage.

DL76:

level feeling 5-4.

DL77: HUGE level with 2 vaults and 1 demi-vault. I kill Uldor The Accursed without even noticing, on my way to the more dangerous Draugluin, Sire Of All Werewolves.

Draugluin takes a bit to kill, he's not particularly strong but he does summon annoying stuff, like Patriarchs, and Time Hounds. I don't have that much mana after my buffs and Runes, and i fail too many times the MBan, so many times i don't want to count it. Should be somewhere in the region of 60% fail, rather than 20%.

I TO away Saruman, Ungoliant, Glaurung, Ancalong, and only stop to kill Kavlax, The Many Headed, because he's basically a DL30 mob and shouldn't be at this depth.

The drops are two useless weapons, a useless cloak (+6 Stealth, if you really want to not wake up anything), and a ring +1 STR, +1 CON ... +2 Shots.
With this i can shoot 700 dmg acid arrows with a x4 Longbow of Loth-Lorien.

I still haven't found any artifact shooters, but it looks like my winner build might be based on this ring. A nice x7 Crossbow with Bolts of Holy Might should drop Morgoth in an instant.
Old May 18, 2017, 19:15   #90
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You are easily strong enough to kill Saruman at this point, and I believe he's DROP_GREAT. Certainly worth killing.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote