Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 22, 2019, 16:10   #71
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, i just came to the same conclusion Gwarl. The things i consider moving into a wrong direction are meanwhile to a vast majority configured with the gamedata .txt files. THAT is by the way, GREAT work from Nick. And i will just create my own variant modifying those files to my needs.
Old October 22, 2019, 17:03   #72
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
In my eyes you just reveal, that you are unable (or unwilling) to handle different opinions that do not match your own view of the world.
This is laughably false. I change my opinion all the time, when presented with facts or convincing arguments that run contrary to my beliefs. It's one of the things that I make a serious, conscious effort to do, because a core part of my self-image is the belief that one might always be wrong. It takes a lot of work, to embrace doubt like this. The human brain is psychologically built to reinforce its currently-held beliefs, even in the face of contrary evidence. So you have to be constantly self-analyzing, saying "do I believe this just because it's comforting to believe it? Or does the preponderance of the evidence actually support that belief?"

Like, for example, your consistently-held belief that your conduct is reasonable, despite all the people who keep telling you how rude you're being. What would it take to convince you that your behavior is inappropriate? Is there anything?

You hope to become a maintainer, apparently, but from everything you've demonstrated on these forums, you're not going to do well when people tell you what they don't like about your work. And they will. It is really hard to make a good game. Your first, second, third, etc. attempts will have glaring flaws, which you will not notice because you're far too close to the problem to see them. You'll have to listen to others, take in their feedback with as much impartiality as you can muster, and make changes to your personal project to suit their needs.

I don't think you can do it. But I'm open to being proved wrong.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 21:30   #73
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Tibarius-- while a lot of the game is done in config files, it is not all. Stuff like monster AI, breaking down doors, dungeon generation, the details of combat and critical hits... And finally, if you want to add fields to the config, you will need to update associated code.
That said, if you accept the basics of how V works, yes you can write your own variant without changing code. Since Andrew Sidwell took over, that has been a back-burner goal. Nick moved it to the front burner, but significant work had already been done on that front.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 22:48   #74
DavidMedley
Swordsman

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Not to make it all about me, but this thread is supposed to be all about me Please take your "major refactor v4.3 because 4.2 Nick is a moron" talk to your own thread.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 22:57   #75
DavidMedley
Swordsman

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
m in Class.txt

The construction (PLAYER_LEVEL+10)+m(PLAYER_LEVEL/4) doesn't look like it does (to a noob like me) what the help says it does. It looks like it adds, like other similar uses of the + symbol. But it actually unpacks to say "if whatever follows this m is greater than the previous expression, use this percentage of player max HP instead." That is to say, it's a minimum.

Is that right? Using + here seems like a bad choice, presumably made in the long long ago.

EXAMPLE:
spell:Minor Healing:1:2:15:4
effect:HEAL_HP
dice:$B+m$M
expr:B:PLAYER_LEVEL:+ 10
expr:M:PLAYER_LEVEL:/ 4
effect:TIMED_DEC:CUT
dice:20
effect:TIMED_DEC:STUN
dice:20
desc:Heals a level-dependent amount or percentage of hitpoints, and
desc: cures 20 points worth of cuts and of stunning.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 23:21   #76
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In my eyes you just reveal, that you are unable (or unwilling) to handle different opinions that do not match your own view of the world.
+1 to everything Derakon has been saying to you, and that you have failed to listen to. I will be a little more blunt, given your diatribes, I find you to be a bit of an a-hole.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019, 00:57   #77
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yeah, i just came to the same conclusion Gwarl. The things i consider moving into a wrong direction are meanwhile to a vast majority configured with the gamedata .txt files. THAT is by the way, GREAT work from Nick. And i will just create my own variant modifying those files to my needs.
I had been planning to encourage you to make your own variant, I'm glad you have chosen to do that yourself. Good luck with it!

DavidMedley: Sorry, I'll talk about you next
Old October 23, 2019, 01:05   #78
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
The construction (PLAYER_LEVEL+10)+m(PLAYER_LEVEL/4) doesn't look like it does (to a noob like me) what the help says it does. It looks like it adds, like other similar uses of the + symbol. But it actually unpacks to say "if whatever follows this m is greater than the previous expression, use this percentage of player max HP instead." That is to say, it's a minimum.

Is that right? Using + here seems like a bad choice, presumably made in the long long ago.
Yes, that's right.

The choice of '+' was made a while ago, but then also remade when I moved this stuff to data files. It is in some respects a bad choice, because of exactly the confusion you've highlighted. The alternative would have been to add an extra parameter into the dice expression code just to deal with the percentage case which only turns up in healing potions. I was very unwilling to do that - the dice and expression code was written (in much better C than I write) entirely by Molybdenum just after I took over as maintainer; it's incredibly useful; and frankly I struggle to understand it enough to make the odd tweak.

In summary: yes, my fault, I regret nothing
Old October 23, 2019, 02:20   #79
sanedragon
Rookie

sanedragon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
I feel like I'm missing something here, because PLAYER_LEVEL+10 will always be greater than PLAYER_LEVEL/4.
sanedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019, 02:50   #80
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanedragon View Post
I feel like I'm missing something here, because PLAYER_LEVEL+10 will always be greater than PLAYER_LEVEL/4.
The trick is that the B line is used to calculate a number of HP, and the M line is used to calculate a percentage, and then the spell restores whichever of those is greater. So for a CL20 character with 200 HP, it would restore 30HP (as 5% of 200 is 10, which is less); for a CL40 character with 600HP it would restore 60 as 10% of 600, because 40+10 is less.