Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2018, 06:17   #681
Sphara
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 95
Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Thanks for the feedback - note that there is a new build up which probably changes the experience quite a bit.
I'm playing on angband.live so those changes were probably not there yet.

Started to test a ranger. Not a clear big picture yet about it but I think I found a game bug (unless it's already fixed or noted but still present on angband.live):

Successfully casting a spell for a first time gave ridiculous amount of experience. I was already at CL 21 and casting Sense Surroundings for the first time gave me over 800 experience points and got me to CL 22. Right after the level-up I did cast Stone to Mud for the first time. Again over 800 exp and now pretty close reaching CL 23.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018, 13:25   #682
Moving Pictures
Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 191
Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Annihilation is an endgame wand; it's traditionally one of the weapons of choice for mages vs Morgoth. If you managed to pull one early and recharge it many times without explosion, of course you shredded everything.
A point to be made, though: the WOA was probably a vital reason why he char was able to avoid grinding incessantly, dying, or both.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018, 00:11   #683
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 450
bron is on a distinguished road
So I was randomly looking at "class.txt", and I noticed that Warriors have "strength-multiplier:5". Shouldn't this be '6' ?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018, 02:11   #684
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,224
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
So I was randomly looking at "class.txt", and I noticed that Warriors have "strength-multiplier:5". Shouldn't this be '6' ?
Short answer is "No, that's max-attacks".

Longer answer is that strength multiplier is part of the calculation of how many blows the player gets; specifically it adjusts the value that is used to look up the strength axis in the blows table. So it's really a relative thing between classes, and you can think of it as a measure of how quickly the number of blows for a class increases with STR. Currently it's 5 for warrior, paladin and blackguard, 4 for ranger and rogue, 3 for druid, necromancer and priest, and 2 for mage.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2018, 08:34   #685
kaypy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 294
kaypy is on a distinguished road
Are mid-level mages supposed to have effectively limitless mana?

If not, then recharge/tap is probably a broken combination.

But I also note that !mana are reasonably plentiful and eg FA has an outright give-me-more-mana spell, so it may be working as intended...

Possible fixes if needed:
* make recharge drain mana per added charge, limited by player pool- still good for prepping items in advance, but uneconomical for tapping

* make tap able to destroy target item (the recharge phase can destroy items, but its pretty rare, which is probably best for the 'recharging items for actually using them' case)
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2018, 08:46   #686
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,224
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
Are mid-level mages supposed to have effectively limitless mana?

If not, then recharge/tap is probably a broken combination.

But I also note that !mana are reasonably plentiful and eg FA has an outright give-me-more-mana spell, so it may be working as intended...

Possible fixes if needed:
* make recharge drain mana per added charge, limited by player pool- still good for prepping items in advance, but uneconomical for tapping

* make tap able to destroy target item (the recharge phase can destroy items, but its pretty rare, which is probably best for the 'recharging items for actually using them' case)
Good point. I think it's probably a good idea to make tap able to destroy the item, even if it's a small chance.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2018, 15:08   #687
kaypy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 294
kaypy is on a distinguished road
Dimension door: Unlimited range, pinpoint accuracy, works in vaults

This is a placeholder that will get balanced a bit better eventually, right?
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018, 21:08   #688
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 450
bron is on a distinguished road
My $0.02 from the comp 216 experience:

1 ) Remove Wands of Annihilation. Drain Life is sufficiently good.

2) Change allowable targeting. Right now, a character one space into a corridor can target like so:

Code:
     # #
     #@#
     #.#
     ...
    .....
   .......
  .........
 ...........
i.e. the full 45 degrees from the mouth of the corridor, same as if they were standing at the mouth of the corridor rather than one space in. I think this should be changed to only allow targeting like so:
Code:
     # #
     #@#
     #.#
     ...
     ...
    .....
    .....
   .......
i.e. 30 degrees from the mouth of the corridor.

I believe this would reduce the worst of the abuses, since monsters in a room approaching the player will do so along the 45 degree vector, and so not be targetable. This would still allow, e.g. indirect fire (area-effect spells landing nearby), and, importantly, preserve the ability to safely teleport-other a monster from "around the corner" when it appears at the mouth of the corridor. I by no means claim this to be a perfect solution or anything, but it seems like it would be an improvement over the current state of affairs.

3) Artifacts are just generally overpowered, and there are too many of them

4) Despite what I just said in (3), there is a relatively powerful thing I'd like to see added. Rand-Arts are fun to play, but I often find myself with difficulties because the gear doesn't mesh together, e.g. 8 things with Resist Nether, but nothing with Confusion Protection. So I'd like to see something, I'd suggest Cloaks of Aman, have an Activation that allows the player to *choose* a resistance or ability. It would have a huge Recharge time (10,000 or 100,000 turns), and of course, only *one* resistance/ability. But it would let the player plug some important hole in their kit, and make Rand-Arts less frustrating.

5) The Paladin's "Single Combat" prayer seems too strong. As an alternative, I'd propose a prayer that protects against Drain Charges for a short time. Such a thing of course has its own set of tradeoffs, but seems (to me anyway) to be very powerful but less disruptive.

6) I really like the way the spells/prayers have been condensed into fewer books.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018, 22:22   #689
Sky
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: somewhere on the south coast
Age: 46
Posts: 1,183
Sky is on a distinguished road
Come to think of it, a temporary Hold Life spell would be cool.
__________________
"i can take this dracolich"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018, 23:11   #690
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,224
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
Dimension door: Unlimited range, pinpoint accuracy, works in vaults

This is a placeholder that will get balanced a bit better eventually, right?
I guess not being able to land in a vault would be fairer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
1 ) Remove Wands of Annihilation. Drain Life is sufficiently good.
OK, a look at balance might be in order. Should mages keep their dmagae boost with attack wands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
2) Change allowable targeting. Right now, a character one space into a corridor can target like so:

Code:
     # #
     #@#
     #.#
     ...
    .....
   .......
  .........
 ...........
i.e. the full 45 degrees from the mouth of the corridor, same as if they were standing at the mouth of the corridor rather than one space in. I think this should be changed to only allow targeting like so:
Code:
     # #
     #@#
     #.#
     ...
     ...
    .....
    .....
   .......
i.e. 30 degrees from the mouth of the corridor.

I believe this would reduce the worst of the abuses, since monsters in a room approaching the player will do so along the 45 degree vector, and so not be targetable. This would still allow, e.g. indirect fire (area-effect spells landing nearby), and, importantly, preserve the ability to safely teleport-other a monster from "around the corner" when it appears at the mouth of the corridor. I by no means claim this to be a perfect solution or anything, but it seems like it would be an improvement over the current state of affairs.
That looks sensible. I do need to have a proper look at LoS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
3) Artifacts are just generally overpowered, and there are too many of them
All artifacts, or just randarts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
4) Despite what I just said in (3), there is a relatively powerful thing I'd like to see added. Rand-Arts are fun to play, but I often find myself with difficulties because the gear doesn't mesh together, e.g. 8 things with Resist Nether, but nothing with Confusion Protection. So I'd like to see something, I'd suggest Cloaks of Aman, have an Activation that allows the player to *choose* a resistance or ability. It would have a huge Recharge time (10,000 or 100,000 turns), and of course, only *one* resistance/ability. But it would let the player plug some important hole in their kit, and make Rand-Arts less frustrating.
Interesting idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
5) The Paladin's "Single Combat" prayer seems too strong. As an alternative, I'd propose a prayer that protects against Drain Charges for a short time. Such a thing of course has its own set of tradeoffs, but seems (to me anyway) to be very powerful but less disruptive.
I'm kind of fond of the effect, though - maybe there's some way to nerf it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
6) I really like the way the spells/prayers have been condensed into fewer books.
Oh, good! It was one of the main features, and nobody's really mentioned it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Come to think of it, a temporary Hold Life spell would be cool.
Potentially, although it would only be useful between starting to need HL and finding a permanent source of it.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm considering making a new Sil branch Quirk Sil 46 October 19, 2017 19:27
Trap/door feature branch Nick Vanilla 220 November 15, 2016 09:56
Curses feature branch Nick Vanilla 153 November 14, 2016 21:09
svn branch Pete Mack Vanilla 55 August 16, 2010 11:28
feature request: display magic item failure rates bebo Vanilla 5 February 12, 2009 21:35


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.