Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 27, 2017, 18:16   #61
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I got many error messages at first, probably my various attempts had caused chaos, but with a new install it works now.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 18:10   #62
sandtrap
Scout

sandtrap is on a distinguished road
Couldn't the setting "use previous set" be automated as follows:
During the generation of randart.txt make a copy to artifact.txt.

Easy to code (I very much like the setting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
You need to
  1. Copy the randart set you want to artifact.txt (not randart.txt) in your user folder
  2. Start a game with randarts set to no

This works because the game is set up to use datafiles in the user folder in preference to the standard ones in the gamedata folder.
sandtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 18:12   #63
sandtrap
Scout

sandtrap is on a distinguished road
A little more complicated

And Clear the randart birth setting so it uses the artifact file on the next game.

Wow that just got ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrap View Post
Couldn't the setting "use previous set" be automated as follows:
During the generation of randart.txt make a copy to artifact.txt.

Easy to code (I very much like the setting).
sandtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 20:07   #64
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
I'm not saying the current method is the only way to do it, but it does solve the problems that other methods I looked at had. Things I had to consider included:
  • Any artifact.txt file in the user directory will be treated as the standard artifact set;
  • If you leave a standardly named file in the user directory to be read by randart games, then you can't have two randart games going at once (and someone is bound to want to);
  • It's much easier for the game to read a file with a standard name;
and there is also a raft of issues to do with the fact that objects like the Phial are defined by the standard artifact.txt.

Also, even if it's a small amount of messing about with files, you still have just as much ability to use the previous set of randarts - plus you can go beck to earlier sets if you like.
Old March 3, 2017, 09:06   #65
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
I've had a quick play of this and it works really well. Liking the curses on the randarts especially, and things like artifact lanterns make it a little more interesting.

Looking through the files, is there any scope for randomising activations and effects? There are all sorts of combinations of bolt/ball that could be generated or even some different slays or brands. Keep most as they are but maybe have 10% that are randomised. I think people play randarts because they like something different in each game and that would definitely add to that. Currently when you get a randart with an activation you think "oh yes that comes from..."

Overall great work. Thanks Nick
Old March 3, 2017, 13:27   #66
quarague
Adept

quarague is on a distinguished road
First one more vote for randarts because they give increased variety.
One observation for base resistances. There are a lot of standarts that give all 4 base resistances plus some other stuff. Hence in most games you will wear at least one such artifact through most of the game. Immunities on the other hand are very rare.
With randarts getting all 4 base resistance on a single item is very rare. Hence it is quite common to wear a high end ego item covering all 4 base resistances all the way to the end game. Immunities seem a lot more common, most chars will have 1 or even several immunities on their standard kit.
These observations come from playthroughs and not from statistical analysis, so I may have gotten untypical results.
I think the randart generator should have the single property 'all 4 base res' as an option for items. Probability for immunities should be somewhat lower and power should be a little higher.
But these are both relatively minor tweaks to the randart generator.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017, 21:08   #67
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
I think the randart generator should have the single property 'all 4 base res' as an option for items. Probability for immunities should be somewhat lower and power should be a little higher.
The randart generator has a category for all four base resists, but only for body armour. Given the number of times the four do appear together (on a quick count, about half the artifacts with RElec had the other three), I think you're right.
Old March 3, 2017, 21:24   #68
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Personally I like the difficulty of trying to piece together the four base resists from scattered miscellaneous items, and usually don't have to resort to using shield/armor of Elvenkind/Resistance for too long.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017, 21:35   #69
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
About immunities being common:

I think that in the standard set the usual, common "good" artifacts that everyone ends up using dont have immunities (Azaghal is crappy as a weapon, Deathwreaker rare; usually you use Wrath or Pain). For immunities to appear in a setup, they have to be on an otherwise good item, which is not unlikely to happen on randarts, or on a very low value slot like glove or amulet that you dont mind sacrificing to gain an immunity.

You can look at the standard set as a randart set that rolled its immunities mostly on bad or rare items.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017, 12:01   #70
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
I think that in the standard set the usual, common "good" artifacts that everyone ends up using dont have immunities
With the standard set, i use Thorin with most winners. And often one of the Elven Rings, too. That's about 1.5 immunities per game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
You can look at the standard set as a randart set that rolled its immunities mostly on bad or rare items.
Ok, i checked the dumps of my 11 non-randart winners in 4.0.x. Total of 17 immunities in 11 games:
Code:
01: Priest: Acid, Fire (Thorin, Narya)
02: Priest: Acid, Fire (Thorin, Narya)
03: Warrior: Acid (Thorin)
04: Priest: Fire (Firestar)
05: Ranger: Acid, Fire, Cold (Thorin, Narya, Nenya)
06: Mage: - {prefered 2nd speed ring over Vilya}
07: Mage: Acid, Fire, Cold (Thorin, Narya, Turmil)
08: Mage: Acid, Fire (Thorin, Narya)
09: Paladin: Cold (Nenya)
10: Rogue: Acid (Thorin)
11: Priest: Acid (Thorin)
--- 17 immunities in 11 games 
    8x Acid, 6x Fire, 3x Cold, 0x Lightning
To compare, the collection of immunities of my randart winners:
Code:
--- 44 immunities in 33 games
    7x Acid, 13x Fire, 15x Cold, 9x Lightning
    2.3x Acid, 4.3x Fire, 5x Cold, 3x Lightning per 11 games
That's much less acid immunities, less fire immunities, more cold immunities, and more lightning immunities. And less immunities on average than with the standard set.

Nonetheless, despite the facts, i have the feeling that they are more common in the randart sets. Maybe i really see more immunities, but on junk artifacts that are too weak to even carry as a swap.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote