Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2022, 09:26   #21
smbhax
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: WA
Posts: 211
smbhax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Was the world map changed in recent versions? It's been a while since I played base Hengband, but it looks similar to the one in 1.6.x - 1.7.x versions.
I don't know, this is my first encounter with it. : )
__________________
My roguelike gameplay videos
smbhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2022, 10:09   #22
smbhax
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: WA
Posts: 211
smbhax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Was the world map changed in recent versions? It's been a while since I played base Hengband, but it looks similar to the one in 1.6.x - 1.7.x versions.
Ah, going back to the initial version of the world map in 1.0.7alpha (https://github.com/NickMcConnell/Ang...t/w_info_j.txt), no, it has not changed ever.

Hengband's version.txt (https://github.com/hengband/hengband...lp/version.txt) suggests Hengband 1.0.7 came from Zangband 2.2.8. I went looking in Zangband's source history (https://github.com/NickMcConnell/Ang...mmits/Zangband) but the only world map I could find there started in 2.2.1 (https://github.com/NickMcConnell/Ang...dit/w_info.txt), and is just this tiny thing:

Code:
# Wilderness layout
W:D:##########
W:D:#GGGGMVMM#
W:D:#GGG5GGMM#
W:D:#GGG|GGGG#
W:D:#GGG1-2GG#
W:D:#GGDD|DGG#
W:D:#WSFF6FFS#
W:D:#WWSSSSSS#
W:D:#WWWWWWWW#
W:D:##########
that pretty much stayed that way, until Zangband went to a completely randomly generated wilderness in version 2.5.0 or 2.5.1 or something.
__________________
My roguelike gameplay videos

Last edited by smbhax; February 5, 2022 at 11:22.
smbhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2022, 11:45   #23
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
The Hengband world map:

First time I've realised that it looks like Europe
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2022, 11:47   #24
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
Ah, going back to the initial version of the world map in 1.0.7alpha (https://github.com/NickMcConnell/Ang...t/w_info_j.txt), no, it has not changed ever.

Hengband's version.txt (https://github.com/hengband/hengband...lp/version.txt) suggests Hengband 1.0.7 came from Zangband 2.2.8. I went looking in Zangband's source history (https://github.com/NickMcConnell/Ang...mmits/Zangband) but the only world map I could find there started in 2.2.1 (https://github.com/NickMcConnell/Ang...dit/w_info.txt), and is just this tiny thing:

Code:
# Wilderness layout
W:D:##########
W:D:#GGGGMVMM#
W:D:#GGG5GGMM#
W:D:#GGG|GGGG#
W:D:#GGG1-2GG#
W:D:#GGDD|DGG#
W:D:#WSFF6FFS#
W:D:#WWSSSSSS#
W:D:#WWWWWWWW#
W:D:##########
that pretty much stayed that way, until Zangband went to a completely randomly generated wilderness in version 2.5.0 or 2.5.1 or something.
It looks tiny but there's no 'walk in overworld' feature and no map, you have to blunder around in wilderness squares to find anything.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2022, 12:23   #25
smbhax
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: WA
Posts: 211
smbhax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
First time I've realised that it looks like Europe
Yeah, or England/Scotland/Wales specifically--or even a bit like Japan.
__________________
My roguelike gameplay videos
smbhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2022, 12:24   #26
smbhax
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: WA
Posts: 211
smbhax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
It looks tiny but there's no 'walk in overworld' feature and no map, you have to blunder around in wilderness squares to find anything.
I'm glad you said that; I figured as much since I couldn't find a key to "zoom out" like you can in Hengband, but I wasn't sure I wasn't just missing the command.

And then I think even some of Zangband's documentation says the wilderness came from Kangband, but do you actually walk through wilderness between towns in Kangband? I see wilderness-like areas around the edges of towns, but beyond them, at the edges of the map square, is a big wall.
__________________
My roguelike gameplay videos

Last edited by smbhax; February 5, 2022 at 12:44.
smbhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2022, 13:04   #27
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
Yeah, or England/Scotland/Wales specifically--or even a bit like Japan.
Huh I can see all three now you mentioned it.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2022, 13:06   #28
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
I'm glad you said that; I figured as much since I couldn't find a key to "zoom out" like you can in Hengband, but I wasn't sure I wasn't just missing the command.

And then I think even some of Zangband's documentation says the wilderness came from Kangband, but do you actually walk through wilderness between towns in Kangband? I see wilderness-like areas around the edges of towns, but beyond them, at the edges of the map square, is a big wall.
Kangband's 'overworld' isn't. There are 6 or so towns, with wilderness around them that all fit into a 198x66 ordinary angband level. It's cosmetic, but it's pretty, and at the time it was as close to an 'overworld' as angband variants got.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fix for the Non-English keyboard layouts bug Tobias Development 5 May 31, 2012 09:27
v4 Download Prismatic v4 6 January 1, 2012 07:39
The "Extra files" on the Download page... takkaria Oook! 1 February 28, 2008 17:17
Randomband download Bingbing Variants 4 November 22, 2007 16:12
The Download page needs to be updated CJNyfalt Oook! 3 May 15, 2007 09:21


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.