Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 19, 2015, 09:54   #1
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
worst vault?

Exploring at 3300' and my level 47 Ranger happens on a nasty vault with the following baddies:
Huan (lvl 90)
Ungoliant (lvl 75)
Glaurung (lvl 70)
Polyphemus (lvl 69)
Tselakus (lvl 68)
Osse (lvl 62)
The Phoenix (lvl 54)
along with a Greater Balrog, Great Wyrm of Law, Bone golem, Archlich, Dreadlord, and 251 others.

Fortunately, all the uniques are segmented within the vault. But Huan is directly in the center and is the gatekeeper to other parts, so I'm hesitant to disturb him.

I think this is a case of "run away", but am curious if others have found worst vaults with more uniques.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015, 11:05   #2
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
If an open vault design I'd probably pass but sometimes in those situations I prepare the outside a bit, then use ball spells to lure them out in groups, then I run away with a host of bad guys following until I am clear from the vault and then I destruct. Just make sure you never get into LOS of the monsters. Repeat until the vault can be entered.

Huan is the only really bad guy for you in there. His breath hurts *a lot* even after he has taken much damage. I would never engage without 30-ish effective speed and a stash of !*healing* and even then, usually not until I have cold immunity. I know for sure he can be killed with only base cold resist but I will never do that again, the price in consumables (potions used plus potions broken by his breath) was outrageous compared to any other fight than the one vs Morgoth. [edit: I was a level 43 fighter without access to temporary resists. I lost 6 !heal, 5!*heal* and 2!Life in the fight]
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015, 16:46   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Segmented vaults let you get away with a lot more than the open-plan ones. With the segmented ones, even if you can't risk popping open the section that has the nasty monsters in it, you can sometimes use Destruction (or even Earthquake) to remove those nasties without them getting to see you.

Probably the worst vault in the game is Hellpit. Sorry about that one, guys.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015, 17:42   #4
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Hellpit is worthwhile if there is a trampling monster inside and you have ESP. You can walk around the border and watch everything get trampled, then open the vault and teleport away the few remaining uniques.

Two applications of mass banishment also cut it down to a reasonable effort, but its rare to have those and sufficient hit points at the same time. At a late stage in the game IŽd rather save the 2 scrolls for the endfight.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015, 19:19   #5
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
My base speed is only +19, I have one scroll of Banishment but none of Mass Banishment. I have a good Long bow, it's (x4) (+14,+14), +1 shooting speed, +1 power, plus a cache of good arrows. As I have only 13 Healing and no *Healing*, I fear I'm no match for Huan at the moment. Unfortunately, I have to get by him to get into other parts of the vault.

So I could speed up, blast the wall to Huan, TO him away, and continue. But if I have to later teleport myself, I could run right into him.

Funny how he got placed right in the middle of this vault.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015, 21:50   #6
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Segmented vaults let you get away with a lot more than the open-plan ones. With the segmented ones, even if you can't risk popping open the section that has the nasty monsters in it, you can sometimes use Destruction (or even Earthquake) to remove those nasties without them getting to see you.

Probably the worst vault in the game is Hellpit. Sorry about that one, guys.
I'm actually not a big fan of the big vaults altogether. The last game I played, I definitely had vault fatigue from just one Divisi vault.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote