Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2019, 18:06   #261
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,367
debo is on a distinguished road
Hey folks, I had an urge to play Sil recently and decided to try recording a bit again. Nothing fancy, but there's a new video here.

I'm streaming these on Twitch and then dumping them to YouTube, so if you ever want to catch a livestream you can follow me here.
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 22:45   #262
Quirk
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 303
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Hey folks, I had an urge to play Sil recently and decided to try recording a bit again. Nothing fancy, but there's a new video here.

I'm streaming these on Twitch and then dumping them to YouTube, so if you ever want to catch a livestream you can follow me here.
I enjoyed it. Good to see a veteran back again.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2019, 03:33   #263
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,367
debo is on a distinguished road
Hiya, new episode of Sil-Q out here.
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 03:00   #264
Quirk
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 303
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Hiya, new episode of Sil-Q out here.
On the Finesse buff: deathblades and damage rings also are gone now, so stabbers were quite a bit weaker. I crunched the numbers and figured out another 1 reduction in the crit cost was viable, so I took it off Finesse (it also turned out from simulations that Finesse was surprisingly worse than Power, so this balanced it out some).

Also, I feel like Smite and Flanking might not be a natural combo, it seems to me that Flanking tends to lead to being surrounded and the post-Smite pause is likely to open you up to taking hits. It's less of a concern if you're fighting one on one.

Last edited by Quirk; October 21, 2019 at 03:28.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 14:51   #265
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,367
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
On the Finesse buff: deathblades and damage rings also are gone now, so stabbers were quite a bit weaker. I crunched the numbers and figured out another 1 reduction in the crit cost was viable, so I took it off Finesse (it also turned out from simulations that Finesse was surprisingly worse than Power, so this balanced it out some).

Also, I feel like Smite and Flanking might not be a natural combo, it seems to me that Flanking tends to lead to being surrounded and the post-Smite pause is likely to open you up to taking hits. It's less of a concern if you're fighting one on one.
I posted some questions in the sil-q 1.4.2 thread along these lines, if you have a moment to check it out.
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019, 21:08   #266
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,367
debo is on a distinguished road
Still going with Sil-q! Next one is here.
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2019, 00:08   #267
Quirk
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 303
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Still going with Sil-q! Next one is here.
Smite and Charge do work together, for what it's worth. Always difficult judging feedback as I don't want to be too spammy; the current approach is to prefer to tell you about the charge because it's not always present. Should be easier to see this if the combat rolls window is active.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 14:36   #268
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,367
debo is on a distinguished road
I should probably post this somewhere else but I'm too lazy.

I did something different yesterday and recorded a (very small bit) of Poschengband 7.1.1. (It's processing right now, should be published very shortly.)

I'm going to try streaming/posting some different variants in the future, but mostly for the purposes of highlighting what's unique / different about them, rather than trying to get really deep into the game or trying to win.

I'm sort of interested in documenting the universe of Angband variants as sort of a video version of the variant catalogue that Nick maintains.

What do y'all think? Would you find that interesting? I'm probably going to do it regardless, but am curious to hear your feedback.
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 20:33   #269
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,862
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I'm sort of interested in documenting the universe of Angband variants as sort of a video version of the variant catalogue that Nick maintains.
I like it. I'm now imagining putting links on the variant repository to your videos (and others).
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sil half Sil 407 March 21, 2018 16:12
Sil 1.0.2 half Sil 282 September 1, 2012 21:38
Sil 1.0.1 half Sil 169 April 6, 2012 02:57
How I beat Sil Fendell Orcbane AAR 7 February 20, 2012 22:58
{UN} play by play impressions & a couple questions. will_asher Variants 15 September 1, 2007 15:35


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.