Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 1, 2013, 12:16   #81
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
I suspect that the single thing that would do most to move V forward would be for a single maintainer/developer to come forward. He should be:
Or she!

[padding padding padding]
Old July 1, 2013, 18:55   #82
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
I'm all of these except for "well respected" and "willing".
I tried very hard to pass up this opportunity for a backhanded compliment but failed.

David, I think you'd be an excellent maintainer for V!

All you need is the will - the respect will come when you produce your v3.6 or 4.0d or whatever you want to call it. Looking back over two decades of maintainers, the ones who have begun by setting out a whole new version have had much more respect and success than those who stepped up with a manifesto but no code.
Old July 2, 2013, 05:23   #83
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Part of the problem here is this.

Its not easy to voice opinion without offending someone.

I try to liken it to cooking. If you ever tried cooking for someone, its easy to understand. It can be quite hard to take commentary on whatever you made for them. They didn't make it. They are just eating it. Its easy to feel they don't appreciate what effort you put into your dish. And, then someone else chimes in asking why you're insulting the chef, even though you're just trying to make a simple query about what was served.

Hard to say which is best/worst - keeping quite and tossing the food to the dog when the chef isn't looking [or] being upfront, even if it is upsetting to the chef. Who can say?

anyone notice the tie-in to the topic of food here?

Magnate, Takkaria, Nick, David, and everyone else who's ever chipped into the code here; I apologize for coming off like a D-bag (no, Doggy Bag) earlier. I'm not trying to tell you your cooking is crap. If I can keep the analogy going ... I was originally curious as to why the menu changed with regard to Slow Digestion. The discussion quickly tail-dived into a place we didn't need to go. I was hoping their might be an ala carte Birth Option, but that notion was quickly tabled. (idiom)

In general, I think you guys are a great set of chefs for the V-pallate. You're all doing a great job, and I'm happy to see there is a roadmap as nearly every coder has thesedays. Just please take my comments with a grain of salt (idiom), I don't mean to come off sounding like an irate customer at a resturaunt. I'm trying to voice my opinion, for what its worth, so you can get some feedback from your patrons, ... . If it is not of value, I'll keep quite and tinker around with the code when I can spare some time. I'm probably the worst chef in these forums; probably a good idea to keep me far from the kitchen.

Before I asked the question, I should have researched a bit more about the changes and looked into the code. But, being the numbskull I am, I was not sure whether this was the intended effect or not. So, I posed the question---"is this dish supposed to be served this way?" ... and, the long knives came out.

Lesson learned.

Last edited by Spacebux; July 2, 2013 at 05:53. Reason: An Olive Branch
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013, 05:36   #84
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
As I've said more than once, I'm not a cook. I haven't contributed a line of code to Angband in my life. To my mind, that makes me more neutral and impartial, but to someone else, perhaps it makes me a busybody.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013, 06:25   #85
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Spacebux

For what its worth, my suggestions are that you:
  • not be offended
  • keep providing feedback by all means, but it is even more helpful to provide patches
  • ignore Daviddesj when he irritates you.
Cheers
A.
Old July 2, 2013, 07:08   #86
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
I endorse Antoine's 3 suggestions.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013, 15:29   #87
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
The C codebase is old and crap. I've spent quite a few years trying to modernise it but it's still written in C and I keep wanting to implement features in JavaScript or Lua and plug those languages in because it would be less hassle than writing it in C. Especially when it comes to user interface code.

That's the main reason. But I also think that maybe V's time has come to pass. 20 years is pretty good going for a game and obviously lots of people enjoy playing it how it is, or how it was 5 years ago or whatever. There are variants, and Pyrel, for other changes and shakeups of mechanics.
Anyone interested in Angband coding who doesn't feel like this, sometimes doesn't feel like this, or suspects that at some point in the future they won't feel like this, please see this thread
Old July 3, 2013, 04:27   #88
damerell
Rookie

damerell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The answer is that there are plenty of players out there who can't help doing the optimal thing even though it is boring. This sounds weird, but it's true,
I think it sounds considerably less weird in a game with, well, permanent death. I play to win (not that I win, but that's the idea); if I haven't decided explicitly in advance I won't use a particular technique (like Elbereth in a certain other roguelike), of course I'll pull out all the stops.
damerell is offline   Reply With Quote