Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 5, 2015, 14:21   #11
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
I would definitely appreciate some extra storage space at home. I have been playing a lot of Poschengband as of late, which has a rather ridiculous amount of home storage. I'm not suggesting that we need that much, however having that extra bit of flexibility would be a welcome change. There have been many times I've been forced to toss some items that I couldn't fit into my kit at that moment, only to regret it later.

In regards to no_selling, I couldn't imagine playing without it anymore. Before I started using that birth option, I was playing like a travelling merchant. I was making so many trips back to town to sell any ego's of value that I found. I fell in love with no_selling the very first game I tried it.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015, 15:39   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I don't think I've seen anyone come out in favor of keeping the home small; a bigger home is a commonly-requested feature. I expect it'll be among the earlier features implemented After The Refactor.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015, 19:12   #13
academic.sam
Scout

academic.sam is on a distinguished road
I'll add my voice also in support of no-selling option. I got back to angband after about 2 years (was away for about 10 years before that). I'm a hoarder and it got to a point where that seemed my main purpose (to collect stuff to sell back). Needless to say, I was shocked to see that shop keepers were not giving me money.

I quickly discovered the birth option, turned off no-selling and rolled a new new char. Then I noticed the small print about getting more gold in exchange for not being able to sell. I thought to my self, you know what, lets give this a try.

And I couldn't be happier. I'm really enjoying it this time around. Carrying stuff that is need to go deeper and going deeper to get more stuff that is needed to survive instead of thie hoarding game that I was playing before.

If it wasn't a default, I would never have given it a try and missed out on a lot of fun just exploring the dungen (and just leave that 5th holy avenger where I found it).

I did carry a shovel to dig out gold, but I limited it to stuff that is on walls (as a dwarf, you seem to sense gold beyond walls, which is also very cool).

My experience has been that the gold drops are pretty generous and is more than enough to compensate for no selling.

My only complaint is that now store stock levels are rather pathetic. Since stores don't need that much room to buy items from me, they can (should) stock more to sell.
academic.sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015, 19:56   #14
Runaway1956
Apprentice

Runaway1956 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajaton View Post
I would definitely appreciate some extra storage space at home. I have been playing a lot of Poschengband as of late, which has a rather ridiculous amount of home storage. I'm not suggesting that we need that much, however having that extra bit of flexibility would be a welcome change. There have been many times I've been forced to toss some items that I couldn't fit into my kit at that moment, only to regret it later.

In regards to no_selling, I couldn't imagine playing without it anymore. Before I started using that birth option, I was playing like a travelling merchant. I was making so many trips back to town to sell any ego's of value that I found. I fell in love with no_selling the very first game I tried it.

Sounds interesting. I'm kinda stuck right now - can't get past the denizens of level 64, and don't feel like falling back several levels to scrum for supplies.

I may give this a little rest, and take a look at Porsche Band. ( I know, that's not what you wrote, it just looked like it the first time I read it.)

EDIT: All I find are dead links, and a Windows binary here. https://sites.google.com/site/poschengband/ So - now I need to think about firing up a virtual machine to run Windows . . .

'nother edit: found it here https://github.com/poschengband/poschengband

Last edited by Runaway1956; March 5, 2015 at 20:03.
Runaway1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015, 20:47   #15
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by academic.sam View Post
My only complaint is that now store stock levels are rather pathetic. Since stores don't need that much room to buy items from me, they can (should) stock more to sell.
I love no-sell, but yeah after some point the stores become basically entirely useless. Why not more high-level items, earlier? Why shouldn't I be able to buy for example, great branded ammo, at a price level where it takes several dungeon trips to be able to build up enough cash? It's another trade-off: blow my gold on a great stack of ammo, or wait until I (maybe) find it in the dungeon? I'd be quite happy to see more stat gain potions as well, and more higher level healing, etc., even at rapacious prices, because well, at the end game I always have a huge pile of money that *never* gets used up.

How about a black market wand/staff recharger, for example, 10,000gp per charge guaranteed not to explode? Expensive enough that you must save for it, another gameplay tradeoff decision means a more interesting game.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015, 21:17   #16
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
I love no-sell, but yeah after some point the stores become basically entirely useless. Why not more high-level items, earlier? Why shouldn't I be able to buy for example, great branded ammo, at a price level where it takes several dungeon trips to be able to build up enough cash? It's another trade-off: blow my gold on a great stack of ammo, or wait until I (maybe) find it in the dungeon? I'd be quite happy to see more stat gain potions as well, and more higher level healing, etc., even at rapacious prices, because well, at the end game I always have a huge pile of money that *never* gets used up.
I think the "too much money" problem can be solved in a different (perhaps better) way: Just have the shops close once you go past a certain dungeon level and remove all further gold drops. No more useless stores!
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015, 22:04   #17
werepacman
Scout

werepacman is on a distinguished road
I think there can be some good ideas to let people spend money with plesure.

Lottery, crafting temporary improvemant of protection of one kind of resistance or encrease light radius.

Something not imbalanced but pleasant.
werepacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015, 00:47   #18
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
I guess I'm in a very small minority on this one. I gave no selling a try for a while, in FA rather than V, and decided I didn't much like it. I'm not arguing against having it as the default, just providing another data point. Of course I would have loved the option back in the days when haggling was mandatory, although maybe I'm remembering Moria rather than early Angband.

Regarding the "money quickly becomes useless" issue, I like the idea of being able to order somewhat overpriced high level consumables rather than scumming for them. In V and O all of my characters who survived the early game reached a point where I would have squelched gold if that were an option. That hasn't happened with my FA characters.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015, 02:03   #19
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, the money issue in angband is kind of odd. On the one hand, you're strapped for cash early and it makes a difference, then you go through a stage where you can buy whatever you want and some of it is actually useful, then you get to a stage where you can rarely buy anything worth carrying anymore and you have effectively infinite gold.

It would be nice to make the gold situation tighter on the high end. Dungeon black markets with exorbitant prices for useful consumables would be one way to go, I guess. Not sure it's a really serious issue though.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015, 02:06   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Invisible Stalker View Post
I guess I'm in a very small minority on this one. I gave no selling a try for a while, in FA rather than V, and decided I didn't much like it. I'm not arguing against having it as the default, just providing another data point.
Yep, and this kind of thing is why it remains an option instead of being the only possible behavior.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote