AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 6, 2015, 02:24   #21
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway1956 View Post
I may give this a little rest, and take a look at Porsche Band. ( I know, that's not what you wrote, it just looked like it the first time I read it.)
Good luck, and have fun! Poschengband is great fun, but it is certainly much more difficult than Angband. It is also very easy to get overwhelmed by the insane amount of race / class combinations and additional mechanics.

Also, if you are an old time Angband player, you will recognize a lot of detrimental consumables and cursed items. Spoiler - IDing potions and shrooms by use in the early game is probably not advisable.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015, 09:02   #22
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Yep, and this kind of thing is why it remains an option instead of being the only possible behavior.
I'm not particularly insistent about it remaining an option. I understand the advantages of keeping the number of birth options manageable, so as more are added sometimes it's necessary to cull ones which aren't of interest to a large number of people. I was just pointing out that for this option the number of people is not zero, as it might have appeared to be from the other posts in the thread.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015, 11:18   #23
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
re: Gold

+1 for mushroom patch's Point of view
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015, 00:55   #24
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Invisible Stalker View Post
In V and O all of my characters who survived the early game reached a point where I would have squelched gold if that were an option.
It is! And I often do.
('Money' is just under 'flasks of oil', although it's greyed out for some reason.)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015, 23:01   #25
lymang
Rookie

lymang is on a distinguished road
I am not a newbie to Angband, having played the Frog Knows version, but I periodically take very long breaks between attempts. Where long might equal 5 or 6 years at a stretch... Never won the game, either. In any event: this "no selling" thing threw me COMPLETELY. I am glad this thread exists because I have been scowling for the past 45 minutes trying to figure out what the BLEEP is going on. Now having read this, I kind of get the gist of it and I can adjust. My halftroll warrior Bella is doing fine, I guess, but when I got an ego item and a magical item from Bullroarer I could NOT figure out why I could not sell the quite nice but slower weapon that was +5+5, this explains it, and I'm ok knowing the gold drops have been boosted.

Just a quite note: thanks to every one of you who are people who actually write and maintain Angband. You folks rock.
lymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015, 12:35   #26
Cold_Heart
Adept

Cold_Heart is on a distinguished road
Maybe the message in shop when selling is prohibited should be more detailed, like mention the option or something...
Cold_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 01:42   #27
Geofferic
Rookie

Geofferic is on a distinguished road
The net result of no selling is that 99% of loot, even at low levels, has no purpose.

It feels terrible.
Geofferic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 02:35   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferic View Post
The net result of no selling is that 99% of loot, even at low levels, has no purpose.

It feels terrible.
Would you rather spend 99% of your time lugging crap back to the town to sell?

Crappy treasure that has no value should have no value, not merely incredibly small value that mildly-obsessive players still can't bring themselves to ignore. The crappy stuff is only there just to provide contrast for the actually good treasure. Obviously we can't have only good treasures drop -- or if we did, then item drops would have to be cut way down which I'm sure would upset some people!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 04:00   #29
Geofferic
Rookie

Geofferic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Crappy treasure that has no value should have no value, not merely incredibly small value that mildly-obsessive players still can't bring themselves to ignore.
I see you couldn't bring yourself to comment without insulting people that don't agree.

Your opinion has no value to me.
Geofferic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 05:14   #30
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferic View Post
I see you couldn't bring yourself to comment without insulting people that don't agree.

Your opinion has no value to me.
What part of that was insulting? I'm pretty sure his comment was self-referential.