Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 9, 2015, 11:03   #31
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
My name is MattB, and I'm a mild-obsessive.

(And yes, I need no-selling to protect me from myself)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 15:07   #32
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
What part of that was insulting? I'm pretty sure his comment was self-referential.
Yep. Freeing myself from having to sell all the crap I find in the dungeon is amazing and no-selling is literally the best thing that's happened to the game in over a decade.

(Which isn't to say that a lot of other great stuff hasn't happened to the game, just no-selling is the best)
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 15:31   #33
tumbleweed
Adept

tumbleweed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferic View Post
The net result of no selling is that 99% of loot, even at low levels, has no purpose.

It feels terrible.
First time I played Angband, "no selling" did throw me for a massive loop when I found a piece of valuable but useless (to my character) equipment, and being unable to sell it off was indeed kind of annoying. However I've come to appreciate the feature very much, as I'm spending more than too much time on juggling items I obsessively want to keep despite probably not really needing them as is already. If I had to haul uninteresting crap back to town all the time on top of this, I'd never get anything done in this game.

All that aside though, I find that shopping and money generally become pretty much obsolete all too soon, and managing loot does eventually turn into a chore as well, even if I don't have to peddle it off in town.

Also considering that "no selling" means that the game throws more gold at you directly, all this actually means - in my opinion - that 99% of loot has no purpose. Ever. Period. Regardless of whether you can sell it off or not.

Without having given a lot of thought to its implications for game balance, I for one wouldn't mind being able to (relatively) reliably buy top-end consumables at a premium rather than hoping (or scumming) for the occasional interesting black market item; and I wouldn't mind finding less but - on average - higher quality items.
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 15:58   #34
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
ToME 4 has monetizing on the fly. While it isnt in any way realistic, you get at least good money for rare finds. Personally, I prefer that solution to no selling. Squelched items could be turned into coinpiles instead of hidden.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 16:27   #35
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
I played a bit of no-selling recently, as a result of the current comp. I still find it annoying, but slightly less so than when I first tried it. Partly it's a question of how smoothly the id and squelching systems work. In FA they are painless enough that I could see some advantages as well as disadvantages, although it wasn't enough to convert me.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 16:59   #36
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
(Which isn't to say that a lot of other great stuff hasn't happened to the game, just no-selling is the best)
Well, the talentless hack who took over maintaining Angband has been nothing short of a disaster. The only positive outcome from that decision was the terrific fellow they found to run the competition in his stead.
Old August 9, 2015, 17:03   #37
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
ToME 4 has monetizing on the fly. While it isnt in any way realistic, you get at least good money for rare finds. Personally, I prefer that solution to no selling. Squelched items could be turned into coinpiles instead of hidden.
Could you explain the T4 system a little bit? I've watched a Let's Play (I think it was made by fizzix), but I'm not sure I understood the loot system. There seemed to be some sort of end-of-level "choose-it-or-lose/sell-it" type thing going on, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by AnonymousHero; August 9, 2015 at 18:16.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 17:04   #38
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
My name is MattB, and I'm a mild-obsessive.

(And yes, I need no-selling to protect me from myself)
<aol>Me too!</aol>

(Incidentally, is the AOL reference too old to be recognized by people around these parts? I feel kind of old now...)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 17:47   #39
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Squelched items could be turned into coinpiles instead of hidden.
I really like that squelching is just a UI convenience. Having it actually have game-mechanical effects is objectionable (to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero
<aol>Me too!</aol>

(Incidentally, is the AOL reference too old to be recognized by people around these parts? I feel kind of old now...)
The average age of these forums is pretty high, so I think you're safe in making that particular reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo
Well, the talentless hack who took over maintaining Angband has been nothing short of a disaster. The only positive outcome from that decision was the terrific fellow they found to run the competition in his stead.
Feel free to switch places with him. We can have a Rocketband competition!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 18:19   #40
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
We can have a Rocketband competition!
We already got pretty close to Rocketband with Neoband sapper. <3