AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 5, 2015, 04:08   #41
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
That's how I gathered it was organized. I'm confident that at the time of identifying the Frost branded weapon that the Frost ego wasn't there (the list was a bit shorter then and none of the elements were represented except for on missiles), but now it is. Perhaps it takes awhile for the Ego ignoring list to catch up?
I've noticed this too - I think the issue is that egos are only appearing in the list once they've been fully identified, rather than once you've learned their names. So for example as soon as you wield a Frost-branded whip, the brand is apparent and the name changes to "Whip of Frost {splendid}", but the entry for Frost still doesn't appear on the ego squelch list until you've fully identified all the details of that specific whip. (I think this would be a problem regardless, because it means you have to learn the irrelevant To-Hit and To-Dam values for a specific weapon before the squelch option appears, but it's currently also exacerbated by the ID bug where you have to learn all the traits an item doesn't have before it registers as identified.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2015, 04:58   #42
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I've noticed this too - I think the issue is that egos are only appearing in the list once they've been fully identified, rather than once you've learned their names. So for example as soon as you wield a Frost-branded whip, the brand is apparent and the name changes to "Whip of Frost {splendid}", but the entry for Frost still doesn't appear on the ego squelch list until you've fully identified all the details of that specific whip. (I think this would be a problem regardless, because it means you have to learn the irrelevant To-Hit and To-Dam values for a specific weapon before the squelch option appears, but it's currently also exacerbated by the ID bug where you have to learn all the traits an item doesn't have before it registers as identified.)
Ah, I think that explains it perfectly. I don't mind having to wait until the to-hit and to-damage modifiers are learned, but hopefully the rest will be figured out with the fix Nick has planned. The Ego Item list hasn't been a problem anymore since @ has ID power. Now that @ ID's the new find all of its properties are known (and all the properties it doesn't have are known), so the Ego item list populates right away.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2015, 09:56   #43
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Player sexes were taken out because
  1. Some people don't identify as male or female, and so found having to choose one (and as the first question the game asked, moreover) a bit unpleasant and
  2. The attempt to fix this by adding neuter as an option just made it clear that there were a whole range of things people might want to have as options.

So we took it out and added editable player histories, so anyone who wanted to have a character of identifiable sex could.
I think word "neuter" is problem here. It sounds like if you choose that you get to play eunuch. "other" would fit better.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2015, 09:59   #44
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
A) You're catering to the vast minority. Good luck with that.
B) I have no patience for anyone who makes a serious claim of "unplesantness" by being asked to choose a "standard gender" by video game.
C) Which leads me to, seriously doubting that this claim has ever actually been made by any reasonable bander.
D) Revert it.

See how little patience I have.
  1. Thank you! It seems to have worked well for the past 22 years of Angband's history.
  2. I'm sorry, I fail to see the relevance of this one.
  3. I can assure you, you could not be more wrong on this count.
  4. No.

I'm seeing a paucity of quite a number of human qualities here, but I don't think patience is one of them.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:55   #45
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Ah, I think that explains it perfectly. I don't mind having to wait until the to-hit and to-damage modifiers are learned, but hopefully the rest will be figured out with the fix Nick has planned. The Ego Item list hasn't been a problem anymore since @ has ID power. Now that @ ID's the new find all of its properties are known (and all the properties it doesn't have are known), so the Ego item list populates right away.
Nice work, you two - that was quite a subtle bug, and you diagnosed it perfectly. Fix will be in the next update.
Old May 5, 2015, 13:23   #46
Nomad
Knight

If you stand in the square adjacent to a trap and try to run into the trap square, absolutely nothing happens - you don't move, but you don't make a disarm attempt either, so it's basically a wasted turn. Possibly a consequence of the fix for the earlier bug where running wasn't stopping in time and you ran straight into traps?

(...Yes, I do spend a lot of time accidentally trying to run into things when I'm standing next to them. Let's just call this "thorough playtesting".)
Old May 5, 2015, 14:01   #47
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
If you stand in the square adjacent to a trap and try to run into the trap square, absolutely nothing happens - you don't move, but you don't make a disarm attempt either, so it's basically a wasted turn. Possibly a consequence of the fix for the earlier bug where running wasn't stopping in time and you ran straight into traps? ....
That seems fair to me, not a bug. How can @ disarm a trap while running? I can't imagine how one could jigger the mechanism of darts, gas bombs, trap doors, etc., while at the same time running. I'd say the wasted turn is fair compensation for trying to run again across a known trap without disarming it first.
Old May 5, 2015, 14:20   #48
Nomad
Knight

Quote:
That seems fair to me, not a bug. How can @ disarm a trap while running? I can't imagine how one could jigger the mechanism of darts, gas bombs, trap doors, etc., while at the same time running. I'd say the wasted turn is fair compensation for trying to run again across a known trap without disarming it first.
Yeah, I don't necessarily think running into a trap should attempt to disarm it (though that's the behaviour in 3.5), but there at least ought to be some sort of "There is a trap there!" message explaining why nothing's happened, or else it should work like using the W command to deliberately walk into a trap. (Since the whole reason I came across the bug in the first place was that the trap was right on the detection border, which can make them difficult to spot in tile mode if you're not paying enough attention, so I didn't notice it and just kept hitting run wondering why nothing was happening.)
Old May 5, 2015, 14:56   #49
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Update b71de9e fixes:
  • ID by use of ego items, I hope pretty much completely
  • Descriptions for wands/rods of life-draining and stone to mud
  • Magical disarming of chests, and destruction of closed doors
  • Slowness of seen ego items to appear in the ego ignore menu
  • Allow use of home and end keys in player birth history editing (instead of crashing)
  • Use correct activation descriptions for artifacts
  • Make running straight at a trap attempt to disarm it

As usual, please report new bugs, or when I am lying about something being fixed. In particular, it's hard to believe that ID is completely right now, but you never know.
Old May 5, 2015, 21:38   #50
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Angband 4.0 dev b71de9e

Just crashed while in town, reading a ?Identify on the steps of the Alchemy Shop to identify Dethanc. Not easily replicable so no savefile attached. This is in OSX.