Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 5, 2015, 19:09   #11
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Whoops! Sorry, Nomad!

Short-range ESP, "vague" ESP, and species-specific ESP (ESP for orcs only, etc.) sound like interesting abilities.
This is in T2. This is one of the things I like about T2.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 02:06   #12
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
I think race advantages would be cool but I also think that humans should continue to go without. I like the idea of one race with absolutely no extra abilities.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 09:52   #13
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Face View Post
I think race advantages would be cool but I also think that humans should continue to go without. I like the idea of one race with absolutely no extra abilities.
+1, provided humans continue to have the fastest experience leveling up.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 11:51   #14
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
ToME2 had split up ESP and I basically ignored it, along with most others I believe. In theory, its possible to get "full" ESP by equipping all the different sub-ESPs, in practice thats so much additional strain on your equipment setup that it falls below the threshold. There were some special places that had mostly one type of creature (unlike vanilla), and there the appropriate ESP was useful, but even that wasnt enough for me to bother. Once learned, the orc dungeons or dragon meadows could be navigated without, and you didnt spend that much time there anyway.

A single type of ESP on its own (orc-ESP) is not very useful in assuring you are going to survive walking into the next room, unlike full ESP. The important info isnt "what kind of monster is in the next room", its "what kind of monster _isnt_ in the next room".
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 12:22   #15
quarague
Adept

quarague is on a distinguished road
Another thing about racial bonuses is whether they should be approximately equally powerful. I think currently Vanilla tries to do so and is only soso successful, Sil has deliberately unbalanced races. I think as long as it is clearly communicated, unbalanced races can be quite interesting.
Humans currently only have the xp bonus but compared to some races it's very small, ie 110% versus 100%. I think this bonus should be a lot more significant. For testing purposes I would like to play a human with 10% xp modifier, but in general something like 70% should be interesting and provide an advantage a little longer than the first 10 dungeon floors.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 14:05   #16
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
The thing I usually find the most interesting on humans is the lack of infravision.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 16:12   #17
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
ToME2 had split up ESP and I basically ignored it, along with most others I believe. In theory, its possible to get "full" ESP by equipping all the different sub-ESPs, in practice thats so much additional strain on your equipment setup that it falls below the threshold. There were some special places that had mostly one type of creature (unlike vanilla), and there the appropriate ESP was useful, but even that wasnt enough for me to bother. Once learned, the orc dungeons or dragon meadows could be navigated without, and you didnt spend that much time there anyway.
It's certainly true that partial ESP quickly loses its usefulness, but ESP evil retains its usefulness rather longer, I find. Partial ESP is also most useful if it's a race-intrinsic and available from an early level. It's not very useful on equipment, really.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 16:48   #18
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
There was talk about an anti-magic class, but what if it was one of the races that was either actively anti-magic, or hilariously inept at it?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 17:11   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
A single type of ESP on its own (orc-ESP) is not very useful in assuring you are going to survive walking into the next room, unlike full ESP. The important info isnt "what kind of monster is in the next room", its "what kind of monster _isnt_ in the next room".
If you're a weenie little mage, it's very helpful to know that there's a pack of Snagas over that way at 250', because they will kill you unless you've been lucky enough to score a Wand of Light already (and hey, if you have, there's a pack of Snagas over that way! Free experience!). And yeah, mages get monster detection; that doesn't mean that the ESP is useless.

Anyway, it's fine if some of the racial intrinsics are just "flavor". I mean, gnomes auto-IDing wands and hobbits auto-IDing mushrooms are both pretty pointless, and the dwarfish treasure detection is similarly low-impact.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 18:50   #20
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Strangely I've always found orc-esp more useful as a kind of dungeon layout detection then for seeing the orcs themselves. The really useful partial detection is natural-esp for seeing hounds.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote