Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2015, 00:17   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,860
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Savefile compatibility

Can anyone provide me with a single good reason why savefile compatibility is desirable now?

In the past, the big reason was monster memory. That is now in a separate file.

If there is no such reason, then the plan would be that, for example: Angband 8.1.0 would be released; 8.1.1, 8.1.2, ... would all be savefile compatible (as changes in the third digit are just for fixes); then when 8.2.0 is released 8.1.x savefiles will (probably) not work in it.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 00:38   #2
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,153
MattB is on a distinguished road
Nope.
Go nuts.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 02:26   #3
bio_hazard
Knight
 
bio_hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 618
bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
... for example: Angband 8.1.0 would be released; ...
Can we get a release date on this?
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 03:06   #4
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
... for example: Angband 8.1.0 would be released; ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
Can we get a release date on this?
Judging by the timeline of releases from 3.0 to 3.1 to 4.0, you should expect Angband 8.1.0 to land in 2074.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 07:05   #5
AnonymousHero
Veteran
 
AnonymousHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,367
AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Not really.

However, there is one case where it might conceivably be desirable, namely Linux distributions where you might get updated from 8.1.3 to 8.2.0 semi-automatically. However, people using those usually know what they're doing -- as long as you get a reasonably clear error message from the game (and it doesn't corrupt the save file) people could just downgrade.

(Though as you say minor version definitely should -- otherwise it'd get a bit too frustrating.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 07:53   #6
Carnivean
Knight
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 526
Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Is there any reason that you couldn't have a save file converter for the players that want to keep playing a character that's in the middle of a game?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 13:18   #7
kaypy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 294
kaypy is on a distinguished road
Not having to figure out how to convert save files across is kind of the point to breaking compatibility...
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 13:34   #8
tumbleweed
Adept
 
tumbleweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 112
tumbleweed is on a distinguished road
As far as I can tell from glancing over the savefile howto, Angband should already have the facilities in place to support gracefully rejecting whole savefiles or even just the individual parts it can't load any more.

Which makes me wonder why current iterations of 4.0beta crash and burn horribly when attempting to load old 4.0beta saves from before the break.

Last edited by tumbleweed; June 19, 2015 at 16:31.
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 16:10   #9
Carnivean
Knight
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 526
Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
Not having to figure out how to convert save files across is kind of the point to breaking compatibility...
I get that.

However, you have 2 defined file types, with largely overlapping data. Outside of the core game, it seems like it should be possible to fill as much of the new file as exists in the old file, and fill the rest with an acceptable default value. This would leave you with a save file that loads in the new version, without having to change the core game code to facilitate it.

Is there a technical challenge to doing this that I'm not aware of?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 17:39   #10
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,941
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
I get that.

However, you have 2 defined file types, with largely overlapping data. Outside of the core game, it seems like it should be possible to fill as much of the new file as exists in the old file, and fill the rest with an acceptable default value. This would leave you with a save file that loads in the new version, without having to change the core game code to facilitate it.

Is there a technical challenge to doing this that I'm not aware of?
Someone has to write the code to do the conversion. If you have that code, you might as well just use it to automatically upgrade savefiles when run under the new version -- you don't gain anything by making it a separate process. The entire point of breaking savefile compatibility is to not have to write that code in the first place.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
request for a savefile fizzix Development 2 July 26, 2011 02:01
Save File Compatibility dhegler Vanilla 2 September 25, 2009 15:33
Savefile Migration EvilMarshmallow Vanilla 9 May 20, 2009 17:39
[3.1.0] Savefile bug? CunningGabe Vanilla 2 January 16, 2009 03:37
Savefile breakage happening soon takkaria Vanilla 11 May 17, 2008 19:04


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.