Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 7, 2015, 19:31   #41
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The text descriptions are pretty vague. The bottom of "Superb" is a lot less stealthy than the top is.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015, 20:58   #42
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Dispel undead/evil are actually quite weak spells, at least the town book versions of them. I did some testing with pits and I could always clear those using less spells with OoD than with dispels. Dungeon book versions IIRC do 1d (4*clvl) where town book does 1d (3*clvl) (and Ingwe activation is 1d (5*clvl))
Yes but they're great fun and it makes things "dissolve" and disappear all at once And pits are also great fun, especially dragon pits, when you have immunity against that breath. Interesting, now that I think of it, I haven't seen a "D/d" pit in 3.5.1 for a really really long time, do they still exist? Lots of animal pits, graveyards, ants, demons, "p" pits but no "D" ones…hmm...
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015, 21:03   #43
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The big problem with dispel spells is that they encourage you to be in LOS of as many monsters as possible. With orcs and trolls this generally isn't a huge deal, but it's suicidal against basically any group of mid- or late-game monsters.
That's the entire fun of it! Trying to wriggle into the sight of the full room without getting blasted. Yes, definitely best done against monsters without (troublesome) distance-based attacks.
Old August 7, 2015, 21:35   #44
Shany
Rookie

Shany is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The text descriptions are pretty vague. The bottom of "Superb" is a lot less stealthy than the top is.
Found it in source code.
Code:
 0-1  = Bad
  2   = Poor
 3-4  = Fair
  5   = Good
  6   = Very Good
 7-8  = Excellent
 9-13 = Superb
14-17 = Heroic
18-...= Legendary
Shany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015, 21:54   #45
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
Found it in source code.
Code:
 0-1  = Bad
  2   = Poor
 3-4  = Fair
  5   = Good
  6   = Very Good
 7-8  = Excellent
 9-13 = Superb
14-17 = Heroic
18-...= Legendary
That is weirdly arbitrary...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015, 21:57   #46
Shany
Rookie

Shany is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Code:
 7-8  = Excellent
 9-13 = Superb
14-17 = Heroic
Changed it to Excellent1/Excellent2, Superb1-Superb5, Heroic1-Heroic4 in my copy. Yes, I know it's "not fair", but I don't understand why "Good" or "Very Good" is for one value, and "Superb" is for five.
Shany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015, 23:18   #47
marlowe221
Rookie

marlowe221 is on a distinguished road
Nice to see this thread still going!

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped me much - I am still tragically bad at Priest. My max depth in this game is DL 35 and that was as a Warrior. I can't even get half that far with a Priest!

That said, all this stealth talk has me wanting to try out a Rogue!
marlowe221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015, 04:54   #48
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowe221 View Post

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped me much - I am still tragically bad at Priest. My max depth in this game is DL 35 and that was as a Warrior. I can't even get half that far with a Priest!

My recommendation for you to take your game to the next level (and maybe a few past that!) is to watch the "Let's Play Angband" videos posted by Fizzix on YouTube. You will soon have that priest fathoms down fighting the Big Bosses.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015, 09:39   #49
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowe221 View Post

Hobbit rogue is awesome, starts the game with +7 stealth .

My main goal with mage (priest) is to get to 18/200 INT (WIS for priest) ASAP. That means drinking/buying any and all potions of Intellect/Intelligence (Contemplation/Widsom for priest), wearing rings of int (two if I have to), caps of intelligence, etc. Sacrificing all other stats and abilities to max out INT first. This gives 0% fail on spells, which, once you get 0% teleport other, means your game is at a whole new level. Once you get the powerful 0% fail escape spells from the dungeon spell books (destruction, teleport level, create doors) you're basically invulnerable as long as you have blindness/confusion/stun covered. Once you know you have 0% fail you can play more on the "edge" knowing (the spell part of) your strategy will work, guaranteed.

I'm still trying to get my head around general priest strategy as well, but the main thing is that you melee/shoot, phase, and heal. With 18/200+ WIS you will have more then enough mana to keep healing yourself as long as you keep your battles one on one. And the priest's high save means the ailments won't bother you as much.
Old August 12, 2015, 13:12   #50
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Changed it to Excellent1/Excellent2, Superb1-Superb5, Heroic1-Heroic4 in my copy. Yes, I know it's "not fair", but I don't understand why "Good" or "Very Good" is for one value, and "Superb" is for five.
IIRC stealth effect is not linear. One point more at 15 means something else than one point more at 10.

I think that if it gets high enough game just wakes up monsters (or not) based on some fixed % that doesn't change even if you get more stealth. How high that is, I have no idea.

I have carried with me some item with aggravation with insane-stealth chars just to wake up things when walking in LoS of them is too dangerous (let them come to you, not the other way around).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote