AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 12, 2015, 13:38   #51
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
IIRC stealth effect is not linear. One point more at 15 means something else than one point more at 10.

I think that if it gets high enough game just wakes up monsters (or not) based on some fixed % that doesn't change even if you get more stealth. How high that is, I have no idea.
The first bit is true, the second bit isn't. The stealth scale is exponential, which is why stealth is capped at IIRC 30: it's necessary to ensure that the stealth calculations fit within a 32-bit integer. I did the math awhile back, and every time your stealth goes up by 3, it takes approximately (not exactly) twice as long for monsters to wake up, on average. But it's a statistical process.

If I remember correctly, and I admit it's been awhile, every monster has an "awakeness" rating that indicates how deeply it sleeps. Hounds don't sleep at all, rogues are easy to wake up, dragons sleep deeply. Every time you flub a stealth roll, the monster gets a bit more awake, depending on how far away from it you are (and maybe depending on how badly you failed? I forget). Once their awakeness hits 0 they wake up.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015, 21:43   #52
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
That's pretty much it. Unless the V code differs from the FA code. I'm too lazy to check. The loss of awakeness is negative exponential in stealth, as described, and inversely proportional to distance. The distance in question is not exactly Euclidean distance but rather some rough approximation. It also depends on what you are doing. Some activities are noisier than others.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015, 09:28   #53
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The first bit is true, the second bit isn't. The stealth scale is exponential, which is why stealth is capped at IIRC 30
Hobbit rogue gets 7 at start, and unlike all other classes gets one point / clvl more. So at clvl 23 you have hit the cap even without any extra stealth equipments. No wonder I needed to carry items with aggravation with hobbit rogue.

For other classes clvl doesn't do anything. IMO it should. Maybe make it linear and use a lot bigger values than single-digit for items.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015, 10:05   #54
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have carried with me some item with aggravation with insane-stealth chars just to wake up things when walking in LoS of them is too dangerous (let them come to you, not the other way around).
Yes this is a good tactic. ESP makes it much more effective/safer.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015, 12:29   #55
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hobbit rogue gets 7 at start, and unlike all other classes gets one point / clvl more. So at clvl 23 you have hit the cap even without any extra stealth equipments. No wonder I needed to carry items with aggravation with hobbit rogue.
You're misreading the stat growth with levels. It's not every level, it's every 10 levels. Weird hacks like this are needed because Angband doesn't understand decimal points: it only ever operates on integers.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015, 13:41   #56
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You're misreading the stat growth with levels. It's not every level, it's every 10 levels. Weird hacks like this are needed because Angband doesn't understand decimal points: it only ever operates on integers.
Correct. Priest X-line for save: 12, which means 1.2 points / clvl. I should have remembered that.

In that case may I suggest that everyone gets something like 0.1 /clvl for stealth, Rogue 0.4 and the effect of stealth changed to linear instead of exponential? IMO Stealth is a experience-driven skill far more than equipment-driven. Especially when working outside of direct LoS.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015, 11:26   #57
Shany
Rookie

Shany is on a distinguished road
Quote:
IIRC stealth effect is not linear. One point more at 15 means something else than one point more at 10.
Yes, it's not linear, it's exponential. This is the only place stealth value used in source code:
Code:
/* Limit Skill -- stealth from 0 to 30 */
if (state->skills[SKILL_STEALTH] > 30) state->skills[SKILL_STEALTH] = 30;
if (state->skills[SKILL_STEALTH] < 0) state->skills[SKILL_STEALTH] = 0;

/* Apply Skill -- Extract noise from stealth */
state->noise = (1L << (30 - state->skills[SKILL_STEALTH]));
So the stealth value is always between 0 and 30, and the noise you make is halved with every +1 to stealth.

Last edited by Shany; August 14, 2015 at 11:50.
Shany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015, 11:49   #58
Shany
Rookie

Shany is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
So the stealth value is always between 0 and 30, and the noise you make is halved with every +1 to stealth.
The noise value is also used just once, in the meaning "if you're more noisy than a 'cubed random int', and you're close enough, decrease the monster's sleepiness with '100 / distance'".

The exponent grows faster than the cube, so, although your chance to awake monster decreases with every +1 to stealth, it decreases more and more slowly with every next +1.
Shany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015, 04:47   #59
marlowe221
Rookie

marlowe221 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
My recommendation for you to take your game to the next level (and maybe a few past that!) is to watch the "Let's Play Angband" videos posted by Fizzix on YouTube. You will soon have that priest fathoms down fighting the Big Bosses.
I will definitely check those videos out.
marlowe221 is offline   Reply With Quote