Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2015, 12:59   #1
Duin
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Abingdon, UK
Posts: 2
Duin is on a distinguished road
Thoughts from a noob

I'm just trying Angband out, having recently had a go at Nethack and DCSS. After a few early failures, I'm now making a bit of progress and I thought it might be interesting to share some initial thoughts, and useful to ask a few questions.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17978

I've reached the stage where inventory management seems to be a big part of the game. Perhaps I'm holding on to too much junk but most of the time I have no free space in my inventory or my home. I'm guessing there's not a lot of point in keeping many consumables in my home because I'm just not using them. I quite like being forced to make a decision about what to keep and what to dump, though it's a bit worrying at times.

A while back (650') I found Sting and up until recently that's been way better than anything else I've found. However, presumably because my str and dex are going up, I've now reached the point where the Scimitar 'Haradekket' deals more damage. My problem is that Sting was providing free action so I guess I need to just keep ploughing on with Sting until I find an alternative free action.

From what I've gathered, I think I need to be looking for potions to increase my stats. It's a bit tricky knowing what does what though as some clearly drain another stat. Should I just go for anything that appears to increase con, dex or str?

The last few levels have been a bit easy and dull, should I be diving faster now? Or is this just an inevitable grind setting in?
Duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015, 03:32   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,863
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duin View Post
I've reached the stage where inventory management seems to be a big part of the game. Perhaps I'm holding on to too much junk but most of the time I have no free space in my inventory or my home. I'm guessing there's not a lot of point in keeping many consumables in my home because I'm just not using them. I quite like being forced to make a decision about what to keep and what to dump, though it's a bit worrying at times.
There are quite a few things you can safely dump:
  • !CLW, !CSW, rods and staves of Curing - just carry !CCW
  • !Boldness - you have pFear from Sting, and as a warrior will get innate pFear at CL30
  • Food or ?SatisfyHunger, not both
  • First to go from your home should be the wands and rods
  • Also all the rings and amulets can go, except for the CON ring which may be worth wearing now or later (see how it affects your HP)
  • Identify that crossbow - it's probably better than your current bow even with plain bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duin View Post
A while back (650') I found Sting and up until recently that's been way better than anything else I've found. However, presumably because my str and dex are going up, I've now reached the point where the Scimitar 'Haradekket' deals more damage. My problem is that Sting was providing free action so I guess I need to just keep ploughing on with Sting until I find an alternative free action.
Yes, that's a fairly simple choice now. Later on the choices and tradeoffs will get more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duin View Post
From what I've gathered, I think I need to be looking for potions to increase my stats. It's a bit tricky knowing what does what though as some clearly drain another stat. Should I just go for anything that appears to increase con, dex or str?
Potions named just after the stat are pure increase. The others are gain one lose one - as a warrior, stay away from Intellect and Contemplation, you may want to roll the dice with the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duin View Post
The last few levels have been a bit easy and dull, should I be diving faster now? Or is this just an inevitable grind setting in?
You can certainly go deeper. The main things you need to watch for are confusion (use !CCW, and be on the look out for a source of pConf) and poison breathers (until you get rPois). Keep detecting, pick your fights, and be prepared to bail out if you're losing.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015, 05:48   #3
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,650
Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[*]!CLW, !CSW, rods and staves of Curing - just carry !CCW
I dont know when you last played this game, but !CCW are RARE. If you want to use one every time you get poisoned, be prepared to do a lot of town store refreshing by resting on dlvl1.

I have complained about this more than once. Poison is annoying in that it disables resting; I cant recall when I last died from the dot, its never dangerous, it just interrupts the flow of play. Back when !CCW were plentifull, that was not an issue. It is now.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015, 07:25   #4
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,946
Derakon is on a distinguished road
CSW and CCW are both worthwhile for clearing status ailments, and CCW can be used for fairly rapid HP recovery (just read a phase door first so you aren't eating attacks while you drink potions). CLW is pretty awful because it doesn't clear all status ailments, and rods/staves of Curing are awful because they have failure rates and thus aren't guaranteed to work.

In any case I wouldn't stockpile these potions at home. The ones you want to keep some of at home are Healing and *Healing*, Life, and Speed, since you'll want those for the last fights in the game -- though there's enough Healing potions in the game to carry some with you for emergencies as well.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015, 08:52   #5
Madoka
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 64
Madoka is on a distinguished road
Thanks that's some interesting advice. I didn't know rods were that frowned upon...I sorta liked the infinite use aspect. I'm thinking that it's due to the failure rate?
Madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015, 12:16   #6
Thraalbee
Knight
 
Thraalbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 547
Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Not all rods are useless, especially for warriors. Rods of detection are great for detecting traps, treasure and monsters - all in one. And if you play ironman (no return to town) rods of curing are ofthen essential for a warrior to cure posion/confuse/blind without consuming potions.
Rods of healing and speed are very nice too but rare until late in the game.
Rods of identify are also useful but somewhat rare when you really want them and may be hard to activate for a warrior.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015, 21:26   #7
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,946
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoka View Post
Thanks that's some interesting advice. I didn't know rods were that frowned upon...I sorta liked the infinite use aspect. I'm thinking that it's due to the failure rate?
It's the failure rate, yeah. Typically when you're blinded or confused, you need to cure it now. And CSW/CCW potions aren't so hard to come by that you'd risk not curing your status ailments just to avoid using a potion.

Get in the habit of using your consumables; there are some that you should save for the endgame, but you won't make it to the endgame if you don't drink potions on your way there.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015, 05:19   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,843
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
...Get in the habit of using your consumables; there are some that you should save for the endgame, but you won't make it to the endgame if you don't drink potions on your way there.
-- Lance Armstrong on the merits of EPO. lol.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015, 23:03   #9
Madoka
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 64
Madoka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It's the failure rate, yeah. Typically when you're blinded or confused, you need to cure it now. And CSW/CCW potions aren't so hard to come by that you'd risk not curing your status ailments just to avoid using a potion.

Get in the habit of using your consumables; there are some that you should save for the endgame, but you won't make it to the endgame if you don't drink potions on your way there.
LOL. You're right as the deepest I've ever made it was about L55.
Madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015, 15:12   #10
Duin
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Abingdon, UK
Posts: 2
Duin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. I've cleared out my home and certainly made a lot of extra space. I have over 20 !CCW so the !CLWs do seem a bit pointless. I haven't had anything that needed curing yet, except for occasional poison and that seems to sort itself out. I haven't received a lethal dose yet! I'll just use the CCWs when I need them.

I've dived a bit deeper and I'm meeting a few more tricky things now. Just had a close encounter with a room full of Storm Giants.
Duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few Noob-Questions Cfant Vanilla 4 September 18, 2014 08:41
Noob looking for some clarifications ElectricWizard Vanilla 6 August 3, 2012 09:59
Noob Advice Joester73 Vanilla 17 February 20, 2010 22:07
Ubuntu Noob Needs Your Help!! chris Development 3 December 22, 2009 19:32
[Z] Help a noob Pwnography Variants 2 September 3, 2007 18:03


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.