AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 10, 2019, 21:34   #31
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Does one imply the other? I usually use them all out of habit: !s!d!k!v (even if I guess that at least !s is redundant).
I don't think so.

!v ask for confirmation before throwing (I never use this inscription, as throwing isn't a big part in Vanilla, though I might in FA).

!d ask for confirmation before dropping (I never use this, as I've not found it very helpful. It's ordinary enough for me to want to drop something, even inscribed with don't squelch that I don't bother with this).

!s don't know what that is.

!k don't squelch. (I use this quite often.)

!E ask for confirmation before eating (I use this on special mushrooms that I don't want to accidentally waste as food.)

!r ask for confirmation before reading (I use this on some scrolls)

!q ask for confirmation before quaffing (I use this on some potions)

=g (I use this on ammo, to automatically pick it up. I autoinscribe ammo with this so that if I ever do pick it up, then from then on I will retrieve any from that stack on walkover).
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2019, 22:44   #32
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Or just !*, which is a generalized 'prompt before use' instruction. This is what I mostly use instead of all the specific ones.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2019, 00:27   #33
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Or just !*, which is a generalized 'prompt before use' instruction. This is what I mostly use instead of all the specific ones.
I only use !* on stuff I really want to have to make extra keypresses for anytime I want to use it, to make sure I *Really* want to use it. e.g., ?Word of Recall, !Enlightenment, ?Destruction, ?Mass Banishment, ?Banishment, etc. But I don't want to be bothered with an extra keypress every time I use a magic book, or drop a mushroom, or any number of actions on items that I otherwise use an inscription upon.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2019, 00:52   #34
Pete Mack
Prophet

Ingwe, sure. Magic books get @m1;!g or the like, once I have enough of them. But in general, I don't bother with specific NOT inscriptions. If I don't want to read something, I don't want to drop or ignore it either.
Old June 11, 2019, 08:09   #35
mibert
Scout

mibert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* Sticky curses are basically gone because they strongly discouraged players from trying out items they found in the dungeon. Wielding an un-ID'd melee weapon could ruin the game for a melee character if it happened to be sticky-cursed. Instead of sticky curses, now the game has a bunch of mixed-blessing items, which weaken you in one way while strengthening you in another. The goal is to tempt the player into getting themselves killed; personally I find that more enjoyable than the old days of tediously identifying every single item I find.
Thanks for your answers!

It feels that sticky curses wouldnt be a big problem anyways, since you just recall to town and buy remove curse scrolls, right?
mibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2019, 10:41   #36
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
!s don't know what that is.
Selling in a shop, I think.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2019, 12:08   #37
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibert View Post
Thanks for your answers!

It feels that sticky curses wouldnt be a big problem anyways, since you just recall to town and buy remove curse scrolls, right?
Part of the issue. What point do they serve if they just mean a trip to town?

I think there's a reasonable argument for them on high enough power items. Something that doesn't ruin a character but is a choice between breaking a good object trying to remove it or living with it.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2019, 16:39   #38
Pete Mack
Prophet

Right. The other issue is sticky curses are only meaningful if you are likely to fall for them repeatedly. With runes, once you learn the curse, you never have to worry about it again. So there isn't much point to having them.
Old June 11, 2019, 16:41   #39
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibert View Post
Thanks for your answers!

In principle, sure, but that doesn't help ironman characters, and even if you aren't ironman, it's more irritating than interesting to discover that you have to abandon your current dungeon run to return to town for Remove Curse.

The new curses are more insidious -- it may take some time for you to realize that the item is cursed, and it's still a working, potentially powerful item even despite the curse. So once you discover the curse, you may be tempted to continue using it anyway. "Power at a price" is IMO far more interesting than "this sword-shaped object is now glued to your hand".
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2019, 17:34   #40
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
In principle, sure, but that doesn't help ironman characters, and even if you aren't ironman, it's more irritating than interesting to discover that you have to abandon your current dungeon run to return to town for Remove Curse.

The new curses are more insidious -- it may take some time for you to realize that the item is cursed, and it's still a working, potentially powerful item even despite the curse. So once you discover the curse, you may be tempted to continue using it anyway. "Power at a price" is IMO far more interesting than "this sword-shaped object is now glued to your hand".
I must say that this curse system is really interesting and I like it.
How much pain do you accept for certain abilities? Like for an early ESP item? Own experience... besides other curses a ring had no teleport curse and I was still thinking about using it - when the final unknown rune showed aggravation
On the other side it could also make an interesting choice to have sticky curse on powerful items (to be fair it should be recognizable before equipping). Would you put on Narya if you couldn't remove it at will? So you couldn't just switch the elven rings between battles depending on what you face.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote