Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 23, 2019, 13:01   #51
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
So had my 1st death to bloated, & while there was a good chance I was dead anyway it still just felt like a bad way to die. I don't see what this adds if the solution is to press R x if full. My own opinion is this is just reverting to a bad mechanic that was originally removed because it was in fact bad.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019, 14:24   #52
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
So had my 1st death to bloated, & while there was a good chance I was dead anyway it still just felt like a bad way to die. I don't see what this adds if the solution is to press R x if full. My own opinion is this is just reverting to a bad mechanic that was originally removed because it was in fact bad.
I think the system needs some improvement - for example, ?SatisfyHunger needs to set the players's hunger to just full, rather than almost gorged. If it's working properly, the simple rule should be "don't eat if you're already full", and that should almost always avoid getting gorged.
Old June 23, 2019, 17:25   #53
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think the system needs some improvement - for example, ?SatisfyHunger needs to set the players's hunger to just full, rather than almost gorged. If it's working properly, the simple rule should be "don't eat if you're already full", and that should almost always avoid getting gorged.
In addition, I think there should be some better measure of hunger status. How do you judge the time between "Full" and "Hungry"? And then one can go too quickly from Hungry to Weak. Once you see that Hungry indication, it is often too late to start foraging. You see a ration, is it safe to eat it, or will @ soon be in a fight where quaffing potions will leave @ Gorged, slowed and dead (especially dangerous in the final fights)? So many "gotcha's" have been removed from the game, or changed to be meaningful in an interesting way (ala traps), but reintroduction of hunger as currently implemented has just been bringing back a "gotcha" that was removed for good reason.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019, 20:07   #54
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What do you feel the Gorged status adds to the game? Or perhaps a better question is, what potential do you see in the concept?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019, 23:28   #55
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
What do you feel the Gorged status adds to the game? Or perhaps a better question is, what potential do you see in the concept?
It's an extra constraint on how the player deal with food. If there's no constraint at the top, then it's just a matter of stuffing your face when you're in town and not thinking about it at all. And before anyone mentions ironman, I'm trying to bring back ironman's status as a challenge option

On Ingwe's idea, we could always have a meter of some sort.
Old June 24, 2019, 00:34   #56
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's an extra constraint on how the player deal with food. If there's no constraint at the top, then it's just a matter of stuffing your face when you're in town and not thinking about it at all. And before anyone mentions ironman, I'm trying to bring back ironman's status as a challenge option
It sounds like your goal then is to make it more important for the player to manage hunger while in the dungeon; is that accurate? If I understand you correctly, then couldn't you accomplish your goal by just significantly reducing the satiation maximum? If "maximum Full" was half or a third of what it is now, other sources of food contributed less fullness, and Satisfy Hunger was rarer, that would make players have to manage their food more closely. And the penalty for overeating could simply be that you wasted food, not that you were slowed.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 09:23   #57
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
To clarify my opinion a little, I'm not absolutely against a speed penalty, I just think -10 is well over the top. If the intention is to catch the player out & kill the @ it makes sense. If it's just there to annoy the @ enough to stop stuffing its face with rations you could probably achieve that with as little as -2 or so.

I also wouldn't mind seeing food a little less plentiful or filling, but not necessarily by much. I don't think there's many people who'd want to play angband as a food management game.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 09:50   #58
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
It doesn't resemble a hunger mechanic anymore rather than not-being-gorged mechanic.
I got gorged against Morgoth in the middle of fight drinking healing potions. So this is what I have concentrate in the future? To rest off satiation level before big fights?

Personally, I would remove food altogether but I think there's enough vocal opposition against that. At least show the satiation level if this is really where the food mechanic is going.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 13:16   #59
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

OK, I have some ideas. Next build should include them.
Old June 24, 2019, 21:05   #60
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Little bug on Beorn. In monster description, his human form is supposed to move at normal speed and bear form is supposed to move quickly (+10). Still, Beorn has normal speed in both forms.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote