Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 15, 2011, 20:03   #1
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Horn of Plenty

Was wondering if we could get an artifact that can be activated for nourishment. Horn of Plenty . 5 lbs can be activated to create Elvish waybread takes 500 turns to recharge. Or just have it bring you to full state and remove gorged effect. I guess it could be a rod activation. Was just thinking, could the various rods be given more colorful titles? Steamband did this , shotgun shell generator etc. Maybe instead of rod of illumination it could be globe of light, or rod of detection crystal ball. Description on activating could be you stare into you're crystal ball, and much is revealed . Or you raise you're globe of light up, there's a bright flash of light. Would add a bit of flavor anyway.

Last edited by UglySquirrell; August 15, 2011 at 20:44.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011, 23:11   #2
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
I can think of one issue: Artifact activations currently only recharge when the item is being worn, and the activate command only lets you choose equipped items as the target of the command. It would require a special case in order to work. However, the Rod of Nourishment idea (or whatever you want to call it) would work. It sounds like having the rod activate for Satisfy Hunger would work better than creating food, if only because it already exists as a spell and scroll effect.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011, 23:57   #3
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

That would be fine, its no big deal but playing a warrior and carrying around 30 pounds of food when there's so many other magic items in the game seems weird to me. Thanks for the reply.
Old August 16, 2011, 01:26   #4
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
It's barely necessary to even carry food if you gorge yourself before descent. Unless your a troll wearing multiple items of regeneration, I see it being almost completely useless (and it would unbalance Iornman, maybe).

Last edited by buzzkill; August 16, 2011 at 02:31.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011, 02:04   #5
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

Well, I'm just playing ironman now, but don't really see how it could unbalance it. Finding food and scrolls of satisfy hunger aren't that difficult. Thought it could be interesting, not having to carry around stacks of food/scrolls. It could be a rare drop like rod of detection or drain life. The only class it would really effect would be warriors, because all the others get the spell anyways.
Old August 16, 2011, 02:18   #6
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Well, I'm just playing ironman now, but don't really see how it could unbalance it. Finding food and scrolls of satisfy hunger aren't that difficult. Thought it could be interesting, not having to carry around stacks of food/scrolls. It could be a rare drop like rod of detection or drain life. The only class it would really effect would be warriors, because all the others get the spell anyways.
Carrying food around as an ironman warrior is currently the only possible situation where hunger is even remotely interesting! Honestly, I'd rather get rid of the spell for all but priests, and then change 'slow digestion' to 'remove hunger' where you never get hungry or gorged.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011, 07:32   #7
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
It's barely necessary to even carry food if you gorge yourself before descent. Unless your a troll wearing multiple items of regeneration, I see it being almost completely useless (and it would unbalance Iornman, maybe).
AFAIK regeneration or slow digestion do not stack.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011, 07:40   #8
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

Okay, maybe not the best idea probably been suggested before but how about making food have temporary effects. Elf liver nourishes for 5000 and temporarily hastes you for 25d25 turns or troll brains nourishes for 5000 and grants +4 strength but lowers intelligence and wisdom by 5 for 20 turns.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:18   #9
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Okay, maybe not the best idea probably been suggested before but how about making food have temporary effects. Elf liver nourishes for 5000 and temporarily hastes you for 25d25 turns or troll brains nourishes for 5000 and grants +4 strength but lowers intelligence and wisdom by 5 for 20 turns.
I rather avoid eating liver, I find it kind of metallic in taste, and eating brains just feels disgusting.

Mushrooms already do provide some nourishment and temporary effects so that mechanism already exist in the game. They are just too useless for effects currently, only really useful one is the vigor. For mixed blessing items they have too bad side-effects.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011, 13:29   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
AFAIK regeneration or slow digestion do not stack.
Correct. There's no point in wearing more than one item of slow digestion, or one item of regeneration. If you have both, you still consume food faster than normal, but not as quickly as if you had regen and no slow digestion.

Going back to the request for more flavorful item descriptions: my only concern is that flavor can sometimes get in the way of clarity. For example, how do rods and orbs differ? Right now we have consistent descriptions for most things, e.g. "Detection" is "Detection" both for the rod and the priest spell, "Satisfy Hunger" is the same for the mage spell, the priest spell, and the scroll, etc. It's not perfect -- e.g. we still have the priest spell Clairvoyance which gives an enlightenment effect -- but it's better than it used to be.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote