Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 1, 2010, 21:58   #1
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
Light hounds

a thought just occurred to me, if dark hounds breathe on me, they darken the whole room. surely then if a light hound breathes on me, should it not light the whole room? or bit of corridor etc? with the possibility of waking other monsters?

dave
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 22:18   #2
SaThaRiel
Adept

SaThaRiel is on a distinguished road
Actually hounds shouldnt breath at all - they should go and catch some sticks or bones/skeletons!

Honestly, youre right. They should light up the room/corridor when they breath. And also light sensible monsters like orcs should be harmed.
SaThaRiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 22:43   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
In my experience, dark hounds don't darken the entire room; they just darken the squares hit by their breath. Likewise light hounds brighten the squares hit by their breath.

There's the "gestures in shadow" spell, which darkens the room you're in. But breath attacks only ever affect the tiles they hit.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 23:28   #4
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure why hounds breath at all ,let them do elemental damage with there attack, ie.. fire hounds bite you or claw you and add 1d6 fire damage or soemthing, makes more since to me, than them having a breath attack.
Old March 2, 2010, 00:28   #5
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
In my experience, dark hounds don't darken the entire room; they just darken the squares hit by their breath. Likewise light hounds brighten the squares hit by their breath.

There's the "gestures in shadow" spell, which darkens the room you're in. But breath attacks only ever affect the tiles they hit.
okay, good point, but then shouldn't light hounds just light up the squares they hit then? and damage light sensitive creatures (I like this)?

as for breath weapons on a dog.. have you smelt a dog's breath? that aside, it's an interesting point, why do zephyr hounds have a breath attack?

dave

Last edited by fyonn; March 2, 2010 at 00:28. Reason: couldn't spell "Zephyr"
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 00:47   #6
SilverD
Scout

SilverD is on a distinguished road
They do light the squares they hit - you probably don't have the right display settings enabled to see them.

But you're absolutely right. Why DO Zephyr Hounds have a breath attack? I mean.. wait a second. How can stupid orcs be shaman that cast spells? Woah.. Magic Mushroom Patches? What?

Man come to think of it, this fantasy game is absurd - nothing in it makes any realistic sense.
Old March 2, 2010, 01:03   #7
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
Why do hounds have a breath attack? because, with breath, the Z is a frighteningly well-balanced enemy. Without breath it is not much different from a j.

Part of the reason everyone loves to hate hounds is not just that they are plentiful, but that they are fairly intelligent and unforgivingly powerful.

A dragon-like creature that is fairly weak at close range but travels in packs and is devastating at distance is a good stopgap until the really big wyrms show up. young and adult dragons are less scary, because they usually appear alone. They are individually harder to take down, but they won't send you running like a room full of Z's will.

My big gripe with hounds is that they are so wildly out of flavor for a Tolkein-themed game. But that's just a flavor-text issue.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 01:59   #8
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Yes it is a tolkein-themed game(if loosley) and I certainly don't remember Zephyr hounds as part of tolkein's world. There's a lot of things not part of tolkeins world in this game. Some of it purely made up. Does anybody even know what a Zephyr hound is, or where the idea came from? If you want to throw in breath attacking dog's then the hellhound is the obvious choice. But wait a minute you don't see quite so many packs of those do you?
Old March 2, 2010, 02:23   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be surprised if zephyr hounds came from the same place as quylthulgs, Kavlax, dreads, drolems, etc. The original Angband developers created plenty of creatures out of whole cloth. Zephyr hounds are just one of the more notorious.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 02:37   #10
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Just like Evil Iggy's, what exactly is an Evil Iggy? I think the only visual replica I have seen is from a mod from neverwinter nights called Moria Eternal, in which the evil iggy in that game was a halfling looking creature with wings.