What are your stats?

What are your stats in real life? I believe mine to be something like:

STR: -1
DEX: +3
WIS: +1
INT: -2
CON: +1
Stealth: +3

I’m not really sure about combat to-hit as I haven’t done much fighting.

-1 to strength because I’m a light, skinny guy and would not want to wield a heavy weapon.

+3 to DEX because my calves are short and bowed. As such I’m very nimble on my feet; whether it’s sprinting down a precarious mountain trail or skiing through tight trees.

+1 to wisdom because I have a long view of the world and like to think about far reaching repercussions.

-2 to intelligence because, well, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. In game I still tunnel through granite near secret doors. I’m impulsive and lousy at problem solving immediate challenges and I have terrible orientation and sense of direction. Furthermore, people I live and work with have to put up with my frequent, absurd lapses of common sense on a regular basis.

+1 to constitution because I once spent eleven months walking around with a collapsed lung before it became so bad I sought medical attention and overall I am rarely very sick.

+3 to stealth because I am frequently startling people that aren't aware of my presence without myself having any awareness that I'm being stealthy. I am constantly feeling bad that I scare people when I say 'hello' and they had no idea I was there. I really should have considered an occupation as a thief. In shamanism my spirit animal is the Fox. In summer camp when I was thirteen I learned how to do a fox walk. (It would be almost two decades later that I would learn what my spirit animal is).

Last edited by Grotug; November 12, 2018 at 23:04.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018, 22:30   #2
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
STR: -1
INT: +4
WIS: +4
DEX: -1
CON: +2
Stealth: -2

Im basically a Mayar.
Old November 12, 2018, 22:36   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If I recall correctly, D&D stats are supposed to represent sigmas away from average when using a normal distribution. Every +1 ability modifier (+2 to the base stat) is an extra sigma. You would therefore expect the average person to have 10s across the board; a 12 means you're in the top ~86th percentile, a 14 is the top ~98th percentile, a 16 the top 99.9th percentile. So if you give yourself a 16, then you're saying you're one in 1000 in that stat -- far from unheard-of, but not exactly common either.

Angband naturally pushes the stats to absurd extremes, where partway through the game your character is, statistically, better than one in a million in many different areas.

I don't care to contemplate my own stats because, the way I see it, if I'm worse than average, then that's depressing, and if I'm better than average, that tempts me into thinking I'm better than other people. I don't want to treat people like a collection of statistics; I want to treat them as people.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018, 22:53   #4
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I can take this Sky person.

Old November 12, 2018, 22:57   #5
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Was it Omega that had a mode to play as yourself? Asked you a set of questions about how much you can lift and your education. You could game it for crazy stats.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018, 23:02   #6
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
If I recall correctly, D&D stats are supposed to represent sigmas away from average when using a normal distribution. Every +1 ability modifier (+2 to the base stat) is an extra sigma. You would therefore expect the average person to have 10s across the board; a 12 means you're in the top ~86th percentile, a 14 is the top ~98th percentile, a 16 the top 99.9th percentile. So if you give yourself a 16, then you're saying you're one in 1000 in that stat -- far from unheard-of, but not exactly common either.
Based on this I think my self assessment was pretty accurate. In certain areas my intelligence is definitely in the 1st percentile, and other areas it's average. I would expect my stealth to be in the the top 90th or so. My dexterity is probably not in actually +3 (prolly more like +1 or +2) as I'm not very coordinated, but I do have unusual leg shape and proportions that lends to very nimble foot work.

Derakon, I'm pretty sure you're a Dunedain. I think it's a fun exercise to see which game races I line up with (hobbit mostly). And I'm curious how others see themselves, too, with explanations as to why they give the stats they give. Obviously it's not an official tally of peoples' stats so it would be silly if anyone were to take it seriously and feel they were better or worse than another person irl.
Old November 13, 2018, 03:08   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Was it Omega that had a mode to play as yourself? Asked you a set of questions about how much you can lift and your education. You could game it for crazy stats.
Yep, though it would snark at you if you claimed to have an IQ of 200 or be able to bench-press 400 pounds.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 05:20   #8
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Character creation scene in Omega predicted the future sociopolitical climate. Instead of asking you to choose a gender, it asked for your 'sexual preference'.

EDIT: My stats are mostly negative. Wisdom might be 0 or +1.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 11:09   #9
Voovus
Scout

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Inspired by this post, I fooled around with the character gen a little to discover that:

* The Elf is the only race with higher Int than Dex (by a pathetic +1).

Niiiiiiiiick!
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 17:37   #10
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
STR +1: I'm stronger than I look.
INT +1: Computer nerd.
WIS -2: My girlfriend has told me I have no sense of self preservation.
DEX -1: I'm also fatter than I look.
CON -4: Aaaalllllll the autoimmune crap.
CHR +1: I once bluffed a drunk guy out of punching me, that has to count for something.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote