AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 23, 2017, 00:08   #11
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Breaths have been buffed a bit in a recent nightly, I'm waiting to see how that goes.
In my opinion, the newly buffed cone breaths work very well, and they also make more sense thematically. The damage is now more commensurate with the perceived danger.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017, 01:23   #12
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
The interface for using Remove Curse on an object with unknown curses is still a bit awkward. It doesn't reveal the undiscovered curses anymore, but if you use it on an item where the curses are all unknown, it just mysteriously fails to do anything without any sort of explanatory message. I think there needs to be a "You have not yet identified any curses on this item" type fail message to make it clear what's happening.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017, 02:24   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
The interface for using Remove Curse on an object with unknown curses is still a bit awkward. It doesn't reveal the undiscovered curses anymore, but if you use it on an item where the curses are all unknown, it just mysteriously fails to do anything without any sort of explanatory message. I think there needs to be a "You have not yet identified any curses on this item" type fail message to make it clear what's happening.
How do you know the item has curses? I've lost track
Old May 23, 2017, 02:28   #14
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Everything shows up as cursed? (I assume that's just a priest thing, I haven't been keeping proper track)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017, 02:33   #15
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
How do you know the item has curses? I've lost track
As soon as you've identified one type of curse, the {cursed} inscription appears on all cursed items, not just those with curses you've already identified. (So changing that behaviour would be an alternate way of fixing the issue, I guess.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017, 16:13   #16
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Cast "Elemental Brand" on a stack of good magic arrows, and get the message, "The Arrows are surrounded with an aura of Venom." However, they then get the "??" tag. Shouldn't it either not tell the player what aura the arrows glowed with, or, let the Poison Brand rune be learned as a result of the casting?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old May 23, 2017, 17:12   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Cast "Elemental Brand" on a stack of good magic arrows, and get the message, "The Arrows are surrounded with an aura of Venom." However, they then get the "??" tag. Shouldn't it either not tell the player what aura the arrows glowed with, or, let the Poison Brand rune be learned as a result of the casting?
What'd be really cool would be if learning certain spells also taught you the corresponding runes. So e.g. when you learn Resist Heat and Cold, you automatically learn rFire and rCold, and Elemental Brand would teach you all of the various elemental branding runes. It'd give a neat aspect of internal consistency to the magic in the game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017, 18:08   #18
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
What'd be really cool would be if learning certain spells also taught you the corresponding runes. So e.g. when you learn Resist Heat and Cold, you automatically learn rFire and rCold, and Elemental Brand would teach you all of the various elemental branding runes. It'd give a neat aspect of internal consistency to the magic in the game.
I like that idea!
Old May 23, 2017, 18:14   #19
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Are others still noticing some pathing issues?

Pathing still seems off to me, but unclear exactly what the problem is. E.g., @ went to DL 100 and immediately saw Morgoth after quaffing an Enlightenment potion. Rather than TO Morgie, @ teleported self to the other side of the dungeon, where there was a vault. Hoping for good loot before Morgie arrived, @ entered the vault. Imagine the surprise when, after spending inordinate amounts of time clearing the vault, Morgoth had still not shown up. He's still somewhere on the other side of the dungeon. True, the @ had "heroic" stealth, but even with that I would have thought it wouldn't buy that much time. I've also noticed other pathing problems that remain a little unclear.
Old May 23, 2017, 18:18   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Are others still noticing some pathing issues?

Pathing still seems off to me, but unclear exactly what the problem is. E.g., @ went to DL 100 and immediately saw Morgoth after quaffing an Enlightenment potion. Rather than TO Morgie, @ teleported self to the other side of the dungeon, where there was a vault. Hoping for good loot before Morgie arrived, @ entered the vault. Imagine the surprise when, after spending inordinate amounts of time clearing the vault, Morgoth had still not shown up. He's still somewhere on the other side of the dungeon. True, the @ had "heroic" stealth, but even with that I would have thought it wouldn't buy that much time. I've also noticed other pathing problems that remain a little unclear.
Morgoth should be always awake and able to track the player from any distance. The only way to get him hung up ought to be by snagging him in a cul-de-sac made out of permanent rock...and I thought that the recent pathing changes were intended to fix such issues as well?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote