Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 23, 2017, 10:50   #1
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
I want more hitpoints

I want a system where the first 3 level-up you are guaranteed at least 50% of your hit-die. Re-roll if under the minimum.

I just started a hybrid and rolled 8hp, 1hp, 2hp.

I get that eventually the spread balances out but those first 3 rolls are so important, that it's easier to restart rather than agonizing with 24hp at CL4.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 11:28   #2
Huqhox
Scout

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
First rule of Angband: The RNG hates you

That is particularly harsh but no worse than e.g. reliable methods of sinvis not being generated for a long time

Although I do think that it could be worth discussing if there is a still a need to roll for HP; just a fixed amount per level would work just as well, maybe
Old June 23, 2017, 14:23   #3
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Maybe some new early rings could be helpful: rings of (small amounts of) +HP instead of CON.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 14:34   #4
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Bad HP rolls are just one of a gazillion ways the game can deal you a bad hand. There is no more reason to plug this hole than there is to plug any of the many others.

Forget your HP amount, just look at the colour of @ and act according to the change.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 14:41   #5
kandrc
Adept

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Maybe there should be an assortment of difficulty-modifying cheat options. For instance:
  • 1.5x HP multiplier for @.
  • Monster spell failure rates multiplied by 1.5.
  • Double probabilities of egos and artifacts.
  • @ gets intrinsic SI and FA, regardless of race.
  • XP per kill and drops are doubled.
  • New, super-egos are included.
  • Resistances are more effective.
  • Immunities are more common and include high elements.
  • etc.

Maybe rather than calling them "cheat options", call them difficulty options, and instead of marking the file and dumps as "cheater", mark it as "Easy Mode", thus avoiding the cheater stigma for new players.

Maybe then fewer people will come to the forums asking that the game be made easier.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 15:22   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I just started a hybrid and rolled 8hp, 1hp, 2hp.
Assuming you had a d10 hit die, you're only 5.5 HP under the average for 3 rolls. Is that one extra hit from a snaga really going to make or break your game?

I do like the idea of Rings of Health, though they're only really necessary because the CON <-> HP scale is so massively backloaded.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 17:26   #7
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Hm, I'd rather developers worry about issues with the base game than try to make 10 different variants (with combinatorics, a lot more than that) of the game all playable. There are too many different gameplay versions out there already.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 17:59   #8
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
Because the reality of the game is that it takes 3 minutes to get to CL4 and that hp score will affect you for hours and hours. If you roll a mage and you have 20hp instead of 60hp, everyone will restart. Math doesnt count when the player experience dictates otherwise.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 19:34   #9
kandrc
Adept

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
everyone will restart
Citation needed.

I either survive until I get my CON up, or I don't. I've literally never restarted because of HP rolls. I've never even paid attention to them. With my young mages, I'm concerned with INT and SP, speed, and stealth, not necessarily in that order. I suspect the same is true of most experienced players.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 19:44   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because the reality of the game is that it takes 3 minutes to get to CL4 and that hp score will affect you for hours and hours. If you roll a mage and you have 20hp instead of 60hp, everyone will restart. Math doesnt count when the player experience dictates otherwise.
a) you're not going to get a 40HP differential with your mage. Let's say we have a mage with a d8 hit die (average 4.5HP/level) and no CON bonus; if we're looking at a 60HP mage, they're about level 13 (start with 8 HP at level 1, then 52 / 4.5 = 11.55). To instead have only 20HP at level 13, you'd have to roll a 1 on your hit die literally every level, at odds of 1 in 8^12 or about 1 in 69 billion.

b) the kinds of HP differentials you actually get in gameplay (i.e. instead of your statistically impossible strawman) are irrelevant to mages because all that really matters is that they die instantly to any remotely relevant threat. Whether you have 40 or 60 HP at dlvl 20 doesn't really make a difference.

c) stop worrying about whether you're getting a fair game and just play the game. Roll with the punches the RNG gives you. It's more fun that way. Are you going to reroll until you get "good enough" treasures in your first dungeon dive? That has way more of an impact on your survivability than getting fewer HP than you "should" have.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote