Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 29, 2017, 02:06   #21
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
I would use the Band of Beorn rather than the mouse ring (I haven't played with randarts but I'm assuming band is a ring). Protection from stunning keeps your spell failure rates down. Drop the wands of Teleport Other and scrolls of phase door, your spell failure rate should be 0% by now. You've got 4 wasted points of intelligence although all of your sources of intelligence have something else going for them.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017, 09:27   #22
Megawott06
Rookie

Megawott06 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone have any opinions about the amulets? They sem to mostly take up space, or is there something in any of them I'm failning to notice? It's completely possible as I'm pretty bad at planning without some type of guide to follow.

Edit: I just noticed that my ring is granting me telepathy, that shold free up some options.

Last edited by Megawott06; August 29, 2017 at 09:32.
Megawott06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017, 10:39   #23
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Get your CON up. You can't worry about melee until you are getting 4 blows with a big weapon. (With buffs and Rune of Protection and/or stunning from ice storm/shock wave, you can take down pretty significant enemies.)

In the mean time, you have Tenser's: that improves your damage by quite a lot, between magic devices and branded ammo. Archery can be a big help to a mage, especially to a High Elf. Again, use buffing. EXP and CON are currently your biggest shortcomings. You can fix the first immediately. You can fix the latter by going deeper and sniping for high-value targets. With 18/200 CON, you can face down any monster in the dungeon. You just can't kill them all yet, with your puny damage output. (The wands of Drain Life are a good start on that. But you may wish to save Annihilation for Morgoth.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017, 11:56   #24
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
speaking of annihilation and morgoth, how many charges do you reckon it would take?
i went down with 36 Drain Life and 16 Annihilation and still managed to lose. CL47, 16 *heal, 18 heal, 8 restore mana. all this in a sweet anti-summoning corridor all lined up with perma walls and runes.
Old August 29, 2017, 13:23   #25
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
speaking of annihilation and morgoth, how many charges do you reckon it would take?
i went down with 36 Drain Life and 16 Annihilation and still managed to lose. CL47, 16 *heal, 18 heal, 8 restore mana. all this in a sweet anti-summoning corridor all lined up with perma walls and runes.
I dont know how many charges you need, but you are aware that mage has 2 recharge spells ?
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017, 15:18   #26
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
that's what i carry Tensner's for.
Old August 29, 2017, 15:40   #27
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
16 -Annihilation is more than enough assuming you have remotely sane luck with Greater Recharging. Don't let Morgoth get into melee with you, of course, or else he'll drain charges and heal in the process.

Morgoth has 20k hitpoints, Annihilation does 250 damage, a mage should be able to boost that to at least 350 (a 40% boost which requires a magic device skill of 100). So that's 58 zaps, ignoring Morgoth's regeneration. I wouldn't bother with the Drain Life. Use wands until their charges are out, then use Mana Storm until you have to teleport Morgoth away, then recharge while he's gone.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017, 16:50   #28
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawott06 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone have any opinions about the amulets? They sem to mostly take up space, or is there something in any of them I'm failning to notice? It's completely possible as I'm pretty bad at planning without some type of guide to follow.

Edit: I just noticed that my ring is granting me telepathy, that shold free up some options.
Amulets ? Lets see:

1) the Necklace 'Estelos' (+5,+3) <+3, +1>
Dropped by The Queen Ant at 1850 feet (level 37)

+3 constitution.
+1 light.
Provides resistance to chaos.
Provides protection from fear.
Slows your metabolism. Feather Falling. Sustains your life
force.
Radius 1 light.

2) the Pendant of Tirhor <+1>
Found lying on the floor at 1500 feet (level 30)

+1 light.
Provides resistance to lightning, fire, chaos.
Provides protection from fear, blindness.
Sustains wisdom.
Slows your metabolism. Prevents paralysis.
Radius 1 light.

When activated, it teleports you randomly up to 10 squares away.
Takes 135 to 148 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 94.1%

3) the Necklace of Runil <+1, +2, +5>
Dropped by Beorn, the Shape-Changer at 1500 feet (level 30)

+1 wisdom.
+2 constitution.
+5 tunneling.
+1 light.
Provides resistance to lightning, fire, cold, poison.
Prevents paralysis.
Radius 1 light.

4) the Necklace of Nosgale <+3, +5>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 1550 feet (level 31)

+3 strength.
+3 intelligence.
+5 wisdom.
Provides resistance to dark.
Sustains strength.
Slows your metabolism.

When activated, it cures blindness.
Takes 108 to 118 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 93.5%

1) gives 3 con which makes it potential endgame material, 2) gives free action but 3) does same and is better, theres also an ego amulet of magi which does that and more so you can dump this, 3) has 2 con and poison resistance, I would keep that, 4) has str and int, it is unlikely that you will really need that combo unless you plan on going full melee, I would scrap 4) too if low on space.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21059

I am in a very similar situation as you where my priest is short on base con and waiting to make the ring switch; currently, replacing my rings with con rings would put me at ~500 hps, not quite enough to be 1-hit proof so I keep stealth + speed rings, but hopefully soon I will be able to get ~600 hps and then its all con rings.

edit: 1 greater vault later, the new setup looks like this:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21060

Last edited by Estie; August 29, 2017 at 18:14. Reason: typo
Old August 30, 2017, 22:42   #29
petvan
Rookie

petvan is on a distinguished road
Hey Estie...jumped in here but working on diving and curious what you wait for in the way of stats or resists before you dive to 95+. You seem to get there a lot faster than me and clearly you are finding great gear for it.

THis is a good thread btw, thanks for sharing OP, learning lots.

P
petvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017, 03:38   #30
Estie
Veteran

I take downstairs as I find them and read all descent scrolls. I might slow down at some points:

- When rods first start to appear, to get a -treasure detection.
- Before Dread depth, when I have no see invis. See invis is the property I take over all alse; I can avoid paralyzers at need if I see them.
- There is a less clearcut area in the mid game. If I have good stealth (heroic or better), I go down asap, when I have, say, a half troll warrior who hasnt found usable stealth items and no teleport other wand, I rather linger where I can fight most monsters. It is a belly feeling based on experience when to go deeper.

The principle is avoiding > protecting at this stage; so if the choice is, for example, between a mouse ring and one of poison resistance, I take mouse.

These halting points arent absolute; when I dont find a rod of treasure detection for a while, I simply go down without. If I really dont find see invis, well then sooner or later something will get me and I start a new character.

Last edited by Estie; August 31, 2017 at 03:43. Reason: typo