AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 27, 2017, 18:07   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimrodPE View Post
Concerning *WINNER*: Is there a "safe" way to protect scrolls from being burned in the inventory by fire attacks? I find it quite annoying to lose teleport and other scrolls which the stores don't sell.
Immunity from fire is the only way to do this, and that immunity is fairly rare.

Resistance and double-resistance (stacking permanent + temporary) can help reduce the chance; it's 1% per item for low amounts of fire damage, 2% above 30HP, and 3% above 60HP (I think; it's been ages since I checked the damage thresholds). But even 1HP of fire damage can theoretically destroy every scroll in your inventory.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 18:07   #12
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimrodPE View Post
Concerning *WINNER*: Is there a "safe" way to protect scrolls from being burned in the inventory by fire attacks? I find it quite annoying to lose teleport and other scrolls which the stores don't sell.
Immunity from fire.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 21:36   #13
kandrc
Adept

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Failing immunity, carry what you need and leave the extras in your home.

In the Bad Old Days, I would carry 2, 3, at one time even 4 of each town book for my spell casters. Of course, that gets heavy. These days I squelch town books as soon as I have them (inscribed with !k) and I go to great effort not to get breathed on. Of course, it still happens now and then, but it's rare enough that it doesn't get me killed. When it does happen, I toggle squelch to check if there's a replacement available, then I decide whether to play on or recall. Literally the only item that I carry backups against inventory destruction of these days are word of recall scrolls, which I always have four of (if I can afford them (and unless I have fire immunity, in which case I have two)) when I read one in town.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 21:59   #14
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Also, if I am digging/mudding a twisty tunnel towards some baddie with a fire attack, I will sometimes leave items behind me in the tunnel--like that valuable staff of speed or banishment, so they can't be burned up. I'll speed myself first, of course. You can only do that if you are confident of winning the battle and not having to bug out, but it is a way to reduce destruction. It's too cumbersome to do with lots of stuff (and somewhat risky as well), but for 1-3 items it's fine.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote