Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2017, 21:51   #161
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,443
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I've always found it strange that hounds stay in their rooms unless the @ is significantly wounded. Every hound is very well trained! Nonetheless, I understood it as a game necessity, so as not to overwhelm players with hounds continually hunting them down (especially in older versions when the hound packs were huge).
It's not so much to avoid overwhelming the player; the "smart packs" AI change was intended to make hounds harder to deal with because they wouldn't just stream towards you so you could pick them off one by one around a corner. Now you have to engage them in rooms, where there's more potential for things to go wrong and multiple hounds to get LOS on you. For example, if you fail to kill a hound in one turn, it can flee into the open room while a fresh hound moves in to attack you.

Hounds are also now a royal pain if encountered in long, straight corridors, as they'll happily pepper you with breath attacks while staying well out of melee range.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 00:21   #162
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,858
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Derakon--
That's not the reason. It's because it's so easy to kill hounds 1 on 1. Killing a dozen of them when only one can hit you (and at most two can breathe) is trivial. Killing them in a room is hard (except in a moat or checkerboard.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 00:44   #163
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If you see any of the weird behaviour (and the torch still exists) a savefile would be helpful.
Okay, here's a savefile taken just after one of the buggy torches has gone out. The character still has the Wooden Torch (0 turns) equipped, and if you check back in the message history you'll see the "Your Wooden Torch has recharged" notification about half a dozen messages back.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Torch_weirdness.zip (10.0 KB, 10 views)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 01:15   #164
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,443
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@Derakon--
That's not the reason. It's because it's so easy to kill hounds 1 on 1. Killing a dozen of them when only one can hit you (and at most two can breathe) is trivial. Killing them in a room is hard (except in a moat or checkerboard.)
Er, isn't that what I said?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 03:21   #165
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,162
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Okay, here's a savefile taken just after one of the buggy torches has gone out. The character still has the Wooden Torch (0 turns) equipped, and if you check back in the message history you'll see the "Your Wooden Torch has recharged" notification about half a dozen messages back.
Thanks, that's very helpful. The immediate cause is as I expected, I just have to work out how it is possible
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 04:38   #166
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,162
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Okay, here's a savefile taken just after one of the buggy torches has gone out. The character still has the Wooden Torch (0 turns) equipped, and if you check back in the message history you'll see the "Your Wooden Torch has recharged" notification about half a dozen messages back.
OK, found and fixed in development now. The problem was related to making sure all randart Phials etc had the same activation; some careless coding on my part gave rise to this bug in any randart game where there was an artifact torch (or lantern, in fact) with an activation.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 13:44   #167
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,162
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
New builds up on the nightlies page, changes are:
  • Trap detection status is now shown in the status line again
  • Nomad's torch bug is fixed
  • Ingwe's "roll beneath your feet" bug is fixed (at least, I believe it is - please report if not)

4 bugs left on the tracker (1 of which I can't confirm), plus there's still the crash that kandrc reported upthread.

Let me know if I've missed anything or anything new turns up.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 14:00   #168
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
I've been poking at vault.txt with a view to designing some new lesser vaults and converting some of the room template layouts to "interesting rooms" instead, and a couple of the current vault ratings seem like they might be off:

* The Pac-Man vault only has a rating of 5 - should that actually be 15, in line with other medium vaults?
* The new "Baba Yaga's Rookery -ES-" lesser vault and "Volcanic Area - DRL" medium vault both have a rating of 0, which doesn't seem right.

Also, any objection to me shunting some of the more basic "interesting room" designs over to room_template.txt instead? A number of them are just unusual shaped rooms with no terrain or set monsters/treasures or anything, so there's a bit of a blurry dividing line regarding what goes in which file at the moment.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 14:56   #169
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,162
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I've been poking at vault.txt with a view to designing some new lesser vaults and converting some of the room template layouts to "interesting rooms" instead, and a couple of the current vault ratings seem like they might be off:

* The Pac-Man vault only has a rating of 5 - should that actually be 15, in line with other medium vaults?
* The new "Baba Yaga's Rookery -ES-" lesser vault and "Volcanic Area - DRL" medium vault both have a rating of 0, which doesn't seem right.

Also, any objection to me shunting some of the more basic "interesting room" designs over to room_template.txt instead? A number of them are just unusual shaped rooms with no terrain or set monsters/treasures or anything, so there's a bit of a blurry dividing line regarding what goes in which file at the moment.
By all means play around with them; we can decide then whether to put changes straight in or wait until after 4.1.0 comes out.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017, 01:47   #170
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,643
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Let me know if I've missed anything or anything new turns up.
It did it again. This time after a deep descent. When I "look" at the square @ is on, it says, "You are on a granite wall".

But, at least it only appears to happen on this special level/room type, so the problem is likely located there, somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 5.43.23 PM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1546
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4.1 pre-release Nick Vanilla 16 April 2, 2017 16:29
Bugfix release for 3.2? Timo Pietilš Development 69 April 14, 2011 20:59
3.2 release candidate is upon us! d_m Vanilla 147 January 19, 2011 10:10
reactions to changes in new V release will_asher Vanilla 50 April 9, 2008 18:47
UnAngband interim release in preparation; please help! Bandobras Variants 13 December 21, 2007 16:01


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.