Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 13, 2017, 15:28   #191
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
I just want to say that right now the webserver is relying on panic saves - if a user disconnects without quitting the angband process gets left without a pty and quickly eats the cpu doing heaven knows what, so I have to send it a sigkill. The fact it does panic saves when it gets them is the only thing keeping progress from being lost - I've managed to lose poschengband progress on the server by not quitting properly.

If we lose the panic save on sigkill, can we at least get it responding to another signal which saves before quitting? Things are set up so that the the process controlling the pty attempts to write ^x before sending the sigkill but it doesn't always work.
Gwarl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017, 16:33   #192
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
  1. Panic saves only seem to cause problems - would we be better abandoning the attempt, as then the worst that happens is the player loses the current level?
  2. Which nightly was it? This will let me know if the underlying problem was likely to be caused by one of the new (since removed) level generation schemes.
  1. There's nothing inherently wrong with panic saving. As noted in another comment, however, you can get into situations where you're touching corrupt state while simultaneously trying to recover from having touched corrupt state, then you wind up with a broken save file.

You could panic save to different location. Attempt to load panic-save file if it exists. If that load fails, load the default (auto-save) file. If it succeeds, move it to the default location, else unlink it.
  2. It was g8886dc4.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017, 16:45   #193
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huqhox View Post
This sounds reasonable. The vampires are not politely stepping out of Ancagalon's way; he is shoving past them as they are beneath his notice; he doesn't care if they end up in lava or not.
The point is, it is a change that was introduced by the fix for fire IMMUNE monsters being able to route-find past lava. Previously, a non-immune monster could not be pushed onto lava, only an immune monster could cross it (albeit with route-finding problems). Now a non-immune monster is found standing on lava (and also doesn't appear to take any damage for doing so).

To my mind, this is a bug.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017, 16:50   #194
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
As before, I now believe I have got all the bugs. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.
Do you consider it a bug for non-fire immune monsters to be pushed onto lava when non-lava spaces are available for them? Do you consider it a bug for non-fire immune monsters to exist on lava squares without apparently taking any damage? If so, these are two bugs.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old June 13, 2017, 16:59   #195
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
I just want to say that right now the webserver is relying on panic saves - if a user disconnects without quitting the angband process gets left without a pty and quickly eats the cpu doing heaven knows what, so I have to send it a sigkill. The fact it does panic saves when it gets them is the only thing keeping progress from being lost - I've managed to lose poschengband progress on the server by not quitting properly.
Can you have players interact with the server via screen or some similar utility? Then the angband process always has a terminal to talk to, and the player connects to that terminal rather than to Angband directly. You can also take over screen processes when players leave and do anything you want to them, without relying on panic anything.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017, 17:08   #196
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
As before, I now believe I have got all the bugs. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.
Another minor bug. The fix for "rolls underfoot" is good, but not perfect. If one "looks" at the square one is told the number of objects, then a further action will reveal the list of those objects so you can decide what to do. The number of objects given does not match the number of objects listed, assumedly because the ignored "rolls underfoot" items are being counted for the number of objects information.

EDIT: NEVERMIND -- It was me being an idiot. The reason for the limited list was the @'s pack was too full, so only duplicate pack items were available for pickup. Duh!
Old June 13, 2017, 17:19   #197
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
The point is, it is a change that was introduced by the fix for fire IMMUNE monsters being able to route-find past lava. Previously, a non-immune monster could not be pushed onto lava, only an immune monster could cross it (albeit with route-finding problems). Now a non-immune monster is found standing on lava (and also doesn't appear to take any damage for doing so).

To my mind, this is a bug.
They should certainly take damage from standing on the lava (and ideally seek to move away from it immediately). But I don't think it's a bug that they end up there
Old June 13, 2017, 17:31   #198
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Can you have players interact with the server via screen or some similar utility? Then the angband process always has a terminal to talk to, and the player connects to that terminal rather than to Angband directly. You can also take over screen processes when players leave and do anything you want to them, without relying on panic anything.
Oh. Hrm. That's interesting.
Gwarl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017, 17:49   #199
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Still this one outstanding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
The selling bug where shopkeepers always give you the correct money for unidentified items yet react as if they'd ripped you off and got a bargain is still in effect.
Otherwise all looking good now, as far as I can see!
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017, 17:57   #200
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

In the latest nightly, after killing Morgoth, for kicks @ donned the Massive Iron Crown, wielded Grond, and descended the stairs. Instant CRASH. Idiot, me, did not save the game prior to descending. I will try to reproduce it with a savefile, if I can.