Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 14, 2017, 14:25   #211
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Totally unrealted also, i believe it deserves a different post. Lets talk about pathing for a sec.

Should mobs always path back to you?

Specifically, if i TS away from a bunch of summons, but still have yellow health, why would a unique with red or purple health path back to me?

I think chasing @ should be restricted if the mob is injured and also if @ is injured, similar to the hounds AI.

A unique might want to find you, but only after they have healed a bit (or a lot), even more so for uniques that can heal self.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017, 15:23   #212
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Some slight ID weirdness: I'm wearing an Amulet of Resist Acid, and it's already identified by that name despite the fact I haven't yet learned the rune of rAcid, so it still has the {??} and "You do not know the full extent of this item's powers" message on the Inspect screen. See attached savefile.

Another, possibly related issue I had earlier in the same game: I had two Rings of the Dog, one fully identified, one with the {??} to indicate it still had an unknown curse. I tried to squelch the fully identified one, assuming the other one would be unaffected because I hadn't learned all the runes yet, but squelching Ring of the Dog as a category caused me to drop and ignore both despite one of them having unknown runes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ID_weirdness.zip (21.1 KB, 13 views)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017, 15:27   #213
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Totally unrealted also, i believe it deserves a different post. Lets talk about pathing for a sec.

Should mobs always path back to you?

Specifically, if i TS away from a bunch of summons, but still have yellow health, why would a unique with red or purple health path back to me?

I think chasing @ should be restricted if the mob is injured and also if @ is injured, similar to the hounds AI.

A unique might want to find you, but only after they have healed a bit (or a lot), even more so for uniques that can heal self.
That's more about AI than pathing, something to discuss for 4.2 rather than 4.1 but I agree. I've also noticed sometimes when you have monsters with teleport to who are nearly dead, start running then TT you to them just so you can finish them off. Which is very nice of them
Old June 14, 2017, 16:25   #214
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
...that was before I removed the probably cause of the level generation crashes. This is good news, because I now know of no other crash bugs. Except...
Sadly, a crash bug definitely still exists. While I couldn't duplicate the descend after killing Morgoth level generation crash, I just now had a level generation crash upon reading a ?Deep Descent.

EDIT: And again, 5 minutes later, taking some stairs....
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; June 14, 2017 at 16:30.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017, 16:30   #215
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Unrealted, i understand paladins and rogues now max out at 5 blows?
This has literally always been the case. The only thing that's changed remotely recently about blows is that several versions ago (Nick says 3.2 and I'd believe him) the formula that gives blows for a given STR and weapon weight was tweaked. The caps have never changed since the very first version of the game. People complaining about the warrior's "lost blow" are really complaining that warriors can't get more than IIRC 5.3 blows/round with max STR and the heaviest weapons, simply because the new blows formula gives that result for 40-pound weapons. I believe they get even fewer blows/round with Grond, but I haven't checked in a long time.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017, 18:13   #216
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
When we discussed this at the beginning of the month, with the relevant build, my rogue could get 6 blows. Ive since played a paladin and seen him cap at 5. Since we did discuss nerfing hybrids, i thought the latest build had the max set to 5 for paladins AND rogues.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017, 18:25   #217
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
When we discussed this at the beginning of the month, with the relevant build, my rogue could get 6 blows. Ive since played a paladin and seen him cap at 5. Since we did discuss nerfing hybrids, i thought the latest build had the max set to 5 for paladins AND rogues.
Then either something changed very recently, or your rogue had +1 blows somewhere on their gear.
Old June 14, 2017, 19:26   #218
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Derakon--most characters can't get more than 1 blow with Grond because it's too heavy to use. I don't actually know if it's even possible.

The lost blow affects more than the heaviest weapons. It affects Half-trolls much more than any other race, because it's so hard to get near 18/200 DEX, never mind 18/220. It's not worth even picking up a weapon like Eorlingas anymore.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017, 19:32   #219
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@Derakon--most characters can't get more than 1 blow with Grond because it's too heavy to use. I don't actually know if it's even possible.
It should be possible. Specific screenshot:

That's a priest with maxed stats, playing one of the 3.5 dev versions (so, postdating the formula change).
Old June 14, 2017, 20:37   #220
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Some more crashes. Not instantly replicable, but, I think if you go deep and then do a bunch of stair scumming, up, down, up, down,... you can get a crash in relatively short order.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote